I'm kinda stuck as far as where to progress with my guitar playing. I've been playing for over a year now and i've become quite skilled. My knowledge of music theory is small, but I really don't feel interested in learning more because I don't see it improving my guitar playing, at least for right now.

So my question is, what should I learn/do with my guitar playing now?
Go learn theory, seriously. It is the best thing you can do.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Do you learn full songs or just parts. Most people when they are just starting out learn just parts of songs, or everything except the solos. Learning full songs will do more for you than most things.
Quote by Gakbez

And this.
Actually I usually only learn the solos to songs. It's hard for me to learn songs now though because recently I stopped using tabs and I'm starting to transcribe things by ear.

Thanks for the advice though!
take a look at spanish caravan, by the doors, its a pretty mad song..... ya can get it if your good with both hands.
Quote by SirMajorMusic
I'm kinda stuck as far as where to progress with my guitar playing. I've been playing for over a year now and i've become quite skilled. My knowledge of music theory is small, but I really don't feel interested in learning more because I don't see it improving my guitar playing, at least for right now.

So my question is, what should I learn/do with my guitar playing now?

Don't learn for the sake of learning, do it because you enjoy playing guitar where are your main styles of music right now? Branch out to different bands and genres; for instance, I never used to like Metallica or thrash metal until I started playing guitar, but when I started playing some of their songs, I found I really enjoyed it. The music I write for my band is more in the alt-metal vein with experimental and minor key influences, but I still enjoy riffing out to Killswitch Engage, Metallica or Trivium since it's just fun to play
Also, I've been playing for four years and I still can't sweep pick, but I consider myself to be a proficient rhythm guitarist. What do you like most about the music, rhythm or lead? Or both? If you want to be lead, then I'd suggest learning solos from different genres, and also try learning some rhythm sections as those are the backbone of the song, and can be complex. And if you wanna be rhythm, do the same thing, just vice-versa.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Try playing some difficult rhythm guitar like complex and fast changing jazz chords (or technical metal, if that's your thing) or something. Learn to write good songs by practising your songwriting, that's definately one of the most important skills which sometimes overlooked. Oh yeah and if you wanna focus on technique, make sure you only learn technique because you wanna incorporate them in your songwriting (or else it's just a waste of time imo). Learning technique just for the sake of it seems totally useless to me, if you don't actually do anything with it (besides showing off to your friends but that's lame anyways...). Also being able to play good improv in many different keys and genres is a good skill to have.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Learning technique just for the sake of it seems totally useless to me, if you don't actually do anything with it.

Yes and no. Working on technique (even if you don't use that technique specifically) will make you a much cleaner guitarist. If you're playing blues rock or something that doesn't matter all that much, but if you're playing Tech Death or something then it is very important.
I'd say stretch to some non-typical musical styles (for you I mean) - do some country, do some acoustic and learn some strum patterns/chord progressions...lots of fun stuff to do. And all if it should make your playing more enjoyable
If you were to list your specific long term goals ( what you want as a guitarist 2-6 years from now) and break it down into achievable short term goals then you'll know what you need to focus on each day, keep in mind that its all subjective and your goals will change, just absorb everything you can possibly learn.

Lastly, and most importantly don't just play shit u know, youll get into a huge ass rut that way, focus on what u suck at and with time you'll be great at it.

Crawl through knives.
Quote by Gakbez

you know i tried that when i felt like i was at a dead end and for me that was a bad choice . i didn't understand the terminology nor most of the explanation of it all . still have trouble with it .
Quote by killtrend
If you were to list your specific long term goals ( what you want as a guitarist 2-6 years from now) and break it down into achievable short term goals then you'll know what you need to focus on each day, keep in mind that its all subjective and your goals will change, just absorb everything you can possibly learn.

Lastly, and most importantly don't just play shit u know, youll get into a huge ass rut that way, focus on what u suck at and with time you'll be great at it.

I just started pulling myself out of that rut . I agree 100% IT SUCKS getting stuck like that .
I've been playing for 4 years now and finding myself in those ruts . I decided I am going to tackle a song I always wanted to play and i just started today on it . let me tell you i needed that boost . food for thought .
Theory always helps to improve guitar playing, you just gotta take the time to understand all the nuances of it.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

you can laugh all you want, but it's true.

for alternate picking, check out the Into the mouth of hell we march solo.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
What you should do is think about what a great guitarist can do - now, figure out what's different between you and that great guitarist you want to by. Now work on the first steps you can think of in that direction.

Learning by ear is a great step forward and I highly recommend continuing with that.

Perhaps getting a few songs really together and performing them'd be a good idea too.

I've been playing for over a year now and i've become quite skilled.

No offence, but I seriously doubt you should put yourself in the "quite skilled" bracket at a year and a bit.
Quote by blankoff
you can laugh all you want, but it's true.

for alternate picking, check out the Into the mouth of hell we march solo.

Hell ya! It gets your pick hand going too and when u learn theory and go to learn a trivium song afterwords. u can see how they apply it in there music Insurrection is a fun solo to same with gunshot =3

Crawl through knives.