Page 1 of 2
http://gizmodo.com/5553418/att-just-killed-unlimited-wireless-data-and-screwed-everybody-in-the-process

Under AT&T's old iPhone and smartphone plans, $30/month bought you truly unlimited data. With their new plans for smartphones, arriving June 7 (not coincidentally, the day of Steve Jobs' WWDC keynote) the confusingly named DataPlus offers 200MB of data for $15 a month, while DataPro gives you 2GB for $25. With DataPlus, if you run over 200MB you get another 200MB for $15. But, AT&T tells us that if you're running over the 200MB limit, you can actually switch to the beefier 2GB DataPro completely pain-free (no ETFs or any of that business), and then switch back to the skinnier plan "over time." With DataPro, if you run over 2GB, you get another 1GB of data for $10, ad infinitum. So, if you use 5GB of data, you're looking at a $55 bill for data.

Tethering for the iPhone is here, finally! Hurray! Right? Wrong. First, consider that the old, non-iPhone tethering option offered you 5GB of tethering data for an extra $30 a month. The new plan charges you $20 extra to use the same 2GB pool of data for tethering. You are not buying extra data. You are simply paying extra to use it for tethering.

Let me repeat that: AT&T is charging you an additional twenty dollars a month based purely on how you use your data. This is bullshit, plain and simple.

Blasphemy.
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
Verizon FTW.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
AT&T sucks. I wish my family would've gotten Verizon like everyone else in our town.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Toasty25000
Wtf is tethering?

using an iphone as a modem to provide interent access on your computer.
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Quote by im not mental

i'm sorry, what was that? i couldn't hear you over how awesome verizon + droid are.

enjoy your unstable operating system.
Quote by Pilots

Corrective action:
Once again, AT&T is screwing people over. The unlimited plan was a selling point for them, without it, they will lose customers big time.
Last edited by Spartan101400 at Jun 3, 2010,
Stupid idea, and I don't even had an iPhone or AT&T.

Why not keep the unlimited option? Sell the other plans to people that know they won't use more than the allotted amount.

I love that AT&T tries to make themselves look better than Verizon and then they announce this.

Sadly I can see other providers doing something similar, including Verizon.
Damn those ATATs
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
[quote="'played[out"]']enjoy your unstable operating system.
Enjoy multitasking.

Oh wait, you can't
I listen to mostly anything, except country and rap.
I'm not sure if I should believe this, since this isn't coming from the mainstream media (I've never even heard of this website)...and with the intense competition between verizon/at&t I'm skeptical that this wasn't a stretched truth...I mean, why would at&t want to do this? This would cause them to lose a huge chunk of their customers to verizon (since they have a droid to combat apple's iphone)...also, it hasn't happened yet, and I couldn't find anything on att's site confirming this...maybe I'm missing something?

EDIT: or maybe I'm bitter that I'm an at&t user
Quote by RiseAgainstScum
Enjoy multitasking.

Oh wait, you can't

I lol'd.
I don't use them and don't plan on ever getting an iPhone so this does not apply to me.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by RiseAgainstScum
Enjoy multitasking.

Oh wait, you can't

Win

VERIZON FTW
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by justaramsfan
I'm not sure if I should believe this, since this isn't coming from the mainstream media (I've never even heard of this website)...and with the intense competition between verizon/at&t I'm skeptical that this wasn't a stretched truth...I mean, why would at&t want to do this? This would cause them to lose a huge chunk of their customers to verizon (since they have a droid to combat apple's iphone)...also, it hasn't happened yet, and I couldn't find anything on att's site confirming this...maybe I'm missing something?

EDIT: or maybe I'm bitter that I'm an at&t user

Maybe you consider the NY Times a more reliable source: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/att-eliminates-unlimited-smartphone-and-ipad-data-plan/

It's legit dude. Sorry.
So does this mean i can get out of my contract with AT&T without charge? Thats how friends have gotten out of contracts before. Their provider changed around something and it allowed them to terminate service with no charge.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I don't have an iPhone but I'm probably switching to Verizon once I'm on my own.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by NY times
AT&T said in a press release that 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data a month on average. If DataPlus users go over the allotted 200 megabytes in a single month they will have the option to purchase an additional 200 megabytes for another $15.

what about the other 35% who use it almost exclusively as their internet source -_-
Quote by Pilots

Corrective action:
i can see verizon following suit someday (pure speculation on my part) i think its because of people using tethering so much that they have no need to a home internet service. AT&T want to make sure youre spending as much money as possible
AT&T is inferior to Sprint. HTC Hero + Unlimited Everything for only one-hundred a month? I do believe we have a winner.
To be honest I find the internet on a phone mostly useless. All I use my phone for is texting and the occasional phone call. It's useful for if I want to listen to some music while I'm out or if I want to take a picture. I never use the internet on it though.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Thrashtastic15

My plan is much cheaper with more perks plus the phone is so damn useful. Telus for the win.

Which Telus plan are you on?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Metalology
Which Telus plan are you on?

I've got a special plan because my dad has been with Telus for a hell of a long time. It's about $20 cheaper than the normal stock Telus plan for the phone.

I get unlimited text 500mbs data and some other stuff like an insane amount of minutes. I can't remember all of what I get, that's how good it is.
Quote by Chaingarden
That's why I don't place much importance on having a telephone that's also a desktop PC.

I'm with you. My LG Vu is fine with me.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
The link in OP is mind-blowingly one-sided.Yahoo's take
This is a little more balanced.

I have AT&T, but no smartphone, so this dosent really affect me until I want to upgrade. I'll probably change services whenever I feel like getting a smartphone.

IMO, if you really use your phone for more than 2 gigs a month and have regular access to a computer, youre doing it wrong anyways. Go ahead and pay more for your "internet anywhere". Im happy with my internet right here.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I've got a special plan because my dad has been with Telus for a hell of a long time. It's about $20 cheaper than the normal stock Telus plan for the phone.

I get unlimited text 500mbs data and some other stuff like an insane amount of minutes. I can't remember all of what I get, that's how good it is.

You ass, send that my way!
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Metalology
You ass, send that my way!

My friend has the same phone and I got mine a couple days after. Needless to say he was pissed when he found out I was getting significantly more for $20 less.
im like the only one here without a good plan. i cant even text without being charged. at least i dont have to worry too much about this. verizon ftw
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I saw this and was disapointed in them, however all you need to do is jailbreak your phone and there's a Cydia source that make your phone think it's always on wifi connection thus using no data on your plan, it's shady but works, and for the person saying his droid can multitask, so can my iPhone and iPods, and they are flash enabled, another win for jail breaking.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
I'm on Verizon and I love it. Switch over to the dark si... I mean good side man
love is love // return to dust
I have a Zune HD if I need to use the internet for anything when I'm not home, and I barely ever even use that. I don't understand why people are so inclined to surf the web on a little phone in the first place, but whatevs. I've never had a dropped call with AT&T and I get unlimited texting, and that's all I need my phone for.

Plus, AT&T's U-Verse television is the greatest tv provider ever.
Page 1 of 2