Hey Guys

I saw a picture of Mick Thompson from Slipknot playing and noticed he had locking nuts only on his first four strings. I couldn't tell if the guitar had a trem though. I am wondering if he is doing this to go back and fourth between standard and dropped tunings or if the nuts wouldn't lock around his big-ass strings.

I would like to know if this little trick will work on my guitar (an ESP Eclipse II with a Floyd Rose) to go back and forth between dropped -d and standard of if that will knock it out of tune.

Thanks in advance UG is the best!
My Gear:
- ESP Eclipse II FR
- Epiphone Les Paul
- Prudencio Saez Classical
- Marshall MG 30WattDFX
- Boss MT-2
- Ibanez TS9
- Dunlop Slash Crybaby
- Boss CH-2
I've seen his signature guitar before, and it has locking nuts on all 6 strings. I believe if the locking nut wasn't there, the strings would noodle about in the nut.

He doesn't have a double-locking trem either. It's just a Locking Edge 3 system, for tuning stability.

You could TRY to do that, but you'll need to adjust the springs in the back to level out the FR. You can possibly put a D-Tuna on it, but then you can't pull back very far.
Thanks for the idea r0ckth3d34n. would i have to just adjust one side of the strings in the back or both? If just one, which side?
My Gear:
- ESP Eclipse II FR
- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall MG 30WattDFX
- Boss MT-2
- Ibanez TS9
- Dunlop Slash Crybaby
- Boss CH-2
Well I'm no wiz on FR's but I know they need to be balanced. And the D Tuna keeps the balance of FR with the ability to tune to Drop tunings.

You'd still have all the locking nuts. I honestly don't think what you're talking Mick Thompson is doing would work, at all.
That won't work because micks guitar doesn't have a trem. He has double locking system for better tuninng stability.your guitar on the other hand has a trem,so having the locking nut for only 4 strings will lead you great tuning stability on those 4 And horrendous stability on the others
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I've seen his signature guitar before, and it has locking nuts on all 6 strings. I believe if the locking nut wasn't there, the strings would noodle about in the nut.

He doesn't have a double-locking trem either. It's just a Locking Edge 3 system, for tuning stability.

You could TRY to do that, but you'll need to adjust the springs in the back to level out the FR. You can possibly put a D-Tuna on it, but then you can't pull back very far.

this. TS, what Mick has is just a double locking fixed bridge. it's not a trem. so he can afford to leave one of the locks undone if he wanted to
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Thanks guys. I don't think it is a trem either but it looked like an older photo from the Iowa (album) years so it is probably not his signature. Do u know how hard is the D-Tuna to install and how much does it cost?
My Gear:
- ESP Eclipse II FR
- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall MG 30WattDFX
- Boss MT-2
- Ibanez TS9
- Dunlop Slash Crybaby
- Boss CH-2
The Floyd will not work right if one of the string locks is missing and you change from Standard to Drop D on the fly. When you release tension from the E string tuning it to D, you're releasing tension from everything else as well. It will cause the bridge to rise slightly from the body making everything else outta tune.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by THEKING35
Thanks guys. I don't think it is a trem either but it looked like an older photo from the Iowa (album) years so it is probably not his signature. Do u know how hard is the D-Tuna to install and how much does it cost?

You can't install it on your guitar since it's floating.
see all this crap is hy i hat tremelo bridges. ill never buy another one. al lthis stability and balance and tuning and locking and stuff all just to be able to divebomb. its not worth it me. it was cool at first. and i dont think its worthe the extra hundred bucks on any guitar.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
it isn`t a edge3 trem, its a hard tail (fx lo pro)

where could i find one of those? look like a great way to make your floyd-equipped guitar into a tuning stability machine. i checked ibanezrules.com but they only seem to carry tremolos, not ibanez hardtails. i might try emailing them, and hell maybe even emailing ibanez. depending on the stud locations i might be VERY interested...
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
where could i find one of those? look like a great way to make your floyd-equipped guitar into a tuning stability machine. i checked ibanezrules.com but they only seem to carry tremolos, not ibanez hardtails. i might try emailing them, and hell maybe even emailing ibanez. depending on the stud locations i might be VERY interested...

The only model I've seen them on is the Mick Thompson Sig... maybe you can get them second hand.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

You wont be able to drop it into a trem equipped guitar, the studs on the Edge FX are where the cavity for a normal trem is. They go on the sides, not the front like a trem.
You could just block your bridge? Tremol-No?

And Rich does sell them, its called the Fixed Lo Pro, one of the last in the list.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
You wont be able to drop it into a trem equipped guitar, the studs on the Edge FX are where the cavity for a normal trem is. They go on the sides, not the front like a trem.
You could just block your bridge? Tremol-No?

And Rich does sell them, its called the Fixed Lo Pro, one of the last in the list.

cool, thanks! looked almost like the bridge might have been a bit slimmer and the outer part would catch right where the studs on a normal edge might be. guess it's back to the tremolo block idea!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip