Hi
Im a lil new guitar player who needs help

I've been trying to do this song for a while. I practiced the c chord -> g chord for like 2 weeks non-stop lol >.>
After the intro, does he plays the strings backward? o_O

And also I've been trying to do a song but theres the normal F chord in it. I dont understand how to do it... I searched and its all telling a different way o_O
And is there a chord that sounds like F ? IF possible easier ;P

And... i really have troubles to do chords cuz my fingers hit all the strings and it sounds kind of... okay but kinda eew o-O
Thanks!!
Answer #1: He's alternating the picking, he's going up-down-up-down, etc.

Answer #2: You do a barre on the first fret, and with your remaining fingers, you form what would be a normal E chord. I dunno if that's clear enough, but whatever...

Answer #3: Practice the barre. It doesn't take that long.

Answer #4: Lolwut?! Fingers on the right hand or the left hand?
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings! Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams!

VIVE LE QUÉBEC! VIVE LE QUÉBEC LIBRE!

Charles De Gaulle, 1967

It's better to live one day as a lion
Than a thousand years as a lamb
The "easy way out" F chord is, from low E to high E, 0, 0, 3, 2, 1, 1
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Hey Metallica, je viens du Québec aussi ;P
Thanks for your answer
1- K ty ;D
2-3 I'll try... but "not that long"? I doubt it. :P Seems super complicated o_O
4- On the frets

Big Project - Thanks a lot!!! But is there a big difference with the hard way?
Last edited by Tacos22 at Jun 3, 2010,
Sound wise? It looses some punch, but it doesn't change the dominance of the chord at all.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Tacos22
Hi
Im a lil new guitar player who needs help

I've been trying to do this song for a while. I practiced the c chord -> g chord for like 2 weeks non-stop lol >.>
After the intro, does he plays the strings backward? o_O

And also I've been trying to do a song but theres the normal F chord in it. I dont understand how to do it... I searched and its all telling a different way o_O
And is there a chord that sounds like F ? IF possible easier ;P

And... i really have troubles to do chords cuz my fingers hit all the strings and it sounds kind of... okay but kinda eew o-O
Thanks!!

Hellooo
Yes, instead of just moving the pick down he's also playing when going up, so he actually plays twice.

You should try to learn to play the F chord. It prepares you for any barred chord. You should do it like this:
e|----------------1-|
B|-------------1----|
G|----------2-------|
D|-------3----------|
A|----3-------------|
E|-1----------------|
   i  r  p  m  i  i
   1  3  4  2  1  1

The numbers below are the number of the finger btw.
So there you have the index finger in the lowest string, and the two higher strings.
You need to bar the first finger making sure it's pushing down on the three strings it needs to push, so if you play each of the three notes individually you can hear it ringing out perfectly.
Then you just arrange the other notes with your other fingers in the way I showed.

And btw, the only chord that sounds like an F major is F major, there are others that kinda sound alike, but you should always try to make it sound as closest as the original.
There are of course different voicings of chords, you can just find all the notes in the chord (in this case, F, A and C) all around the fretboard and pick the one that is easiest and sounds best to you. However, you should get used to barre chords, they're not actually that hard!

As for the last problem, take it slow, when fretting a chord try to focus on each note and make sure a finger isn't muting a wanted string (for example touching the fourth string with your third finger while playing a C major chord) or pressing down an unwanted string.
When changing chords, removing the chord you're playing, be careful not to accidentally pull off a string. First relax your hand, stop pushing, then change the chord, push down, and play, always focusing on each note of the chord correctly ringing out. For this you should probably start doing it slow. There'll come a time when the transition between chords will just be beautifully smooth!

Hope you understood what I tried to say!

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Sound wise? It looses some punch, but it doesn't change the dominance of the chord at all.

The chord you suggested would actually be a Fmaj7
In any case, do what he says but don't play the 0s, only play the four higher strings.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by Kurai X
The chord you suggested would actually be a Fmaj7
In any case, do what he says but don't play the 0s, only play the four higher strings.

Ah, my bad, I meant mute the 0's.

Sorry for confusing you >.<
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Thanks a lot for the answers!
Sorry english is not my main language and I'm a bit confused ;(

Kurai do you have to move your fingers while doing the chord? o_o
What do you mean by "bar the first finger" ?

Also... do you have a good song to practice chords... including F if possible xD
i was doing yellow submarine, but i kinda got bored of it ;P

thanks
What I tried to say is that to play a chord you must first place the fingers in the right places, press them down against the string, then make sure when you play every note sounds perfect.
Then to change the chord you relax your fingers (stop pushing against the string, mute the strings) then change to the other chord, push down and repeat.
The thing is that you should do this slow enough for the transition to sound perfect.

Bar the first finger is just what the guys in the videos do when F comes up, the index finger pushes down on every string.

What's your first language by the way? Is it by any chance spanish? If you speak spanish I can tell you in spanish xDD unless you're mexican or something and speak weird =P
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
No, I'm french. xD

Thanks a lot for your help I (finally ) understood what the f was o.o

is it normal than i feel like my hand is not big enough and that i almost broke my finger-next-to-the-little-finger o.o
Last edited by Tacos22 at Jun 5, 2010,
You mean your ring finger? Well, if you have small hands just by playing you'll stretch them out, I've never seen anyone that can't play regular chords becouse of having small hands, so whatever size you have it should be ok with time XD
THANKS SO MUCH!
I finally got it! (But I still need a lot of practice. xD)

I saw a picture on how to place your thumb while doing barres
But when doing normal chords do you need to place your thumb the same way?
Well the best place to place your thumb most of the time would be the middle of the neck. However a "baseball bat" grip, with your thumb waay up almost touching the sixth string, is a great way of playing bends and wide chords like Jimi Hendrix, but you'll worry about that later!

I wanna learn french some day XD
Quote by Tacos22

Also... do you have a good song to practice chords... including F if possible xD

thanks

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/modest_mouse/bankrupt_on_selling_crd.htm Perfect song for beginners. This song helped me a bit when I was first playing chords for basic chord changes. Also has an F in it.

Also I recommend you play the F like (see chord below) instead of barring it, just sounds better for that song. Also sounds more like the actual song imo.
e:0
B:1
G:2
D:3
A:-
E:-
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Jun 9, 2010,
Then it's not an F, it's an Fmaj7.
Thanks a lot Kurai again
Ty joshua for the song, it was exactly what I was looking for! I'll learn it =O

But what does C(add D) means o_O Do you like need to play them at the same time? Cuz you'd need like 7 fingers on the left hand, and sadly I was only born with 5. Unless you're hitting 2 strings at the same time o_O But Im probably wrong on everything so I dont know why I'm writing a bible about that lol.
Quote by Tacos22

thanks

sorry im kinda late with this reply, but you've got to hide your love away by the beatles is a good song with a lot of basic chords, including F
Quote by Tacos22
Thanks a lot Kurai again
Ty joshua for the song, it was exactly what I was looking for! I'll learn it =O

But what does C(add D) means o_O Do you like need to play them at the same time? Cuz you'd need like 7 fingers on the left hand, and sadly I was only born with 5. Unless you're hitting 2 strings at the same time o_O But Im probably wrong on everything so I dont know why I'm writing a bible about that lol.

CaddD is a single chord.
The notes on C major are C, E and G.
CaddD, also called Cadd9, adds the D note, so you have a C, D, E and G. If you check out the notes on the tab you'll see that they are E, C, E, G, D, E.

So just play it like the tab there says
--0--
--3--
--0--
--2--
--3--
--0--
Kurai X explained it well. If you still need help ask. Also don't mind the lyrics for that tab, for some reason that person decided to censor it and has terrible grammar lol. If you have any troubles with that song ask, I know it well and it's a fun song to play.
Ohh thanks! But.. whats alternate picking.
I searched on google and I didnt really understand o_O

I was trying the Bankrupt on Selling, but it says to us to figure out the strumming. Eh. Not really nice.
So... whats the strumming ? xD
Last edited by Tacos22 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Tacos22
Ohh thanks! But.. whats alternate picking.
I searched on google and I didnt really understand o_O

I was trying the Bankrupt on Selling, but it says to us to figure out the strumming. Eh. Not really nice.
So... whats the strumming ? xD

i might be totally wrong but for each chord it seems like its down, up down up down, up down up down, up down up down down down

i tried to use commas to show that you just dont go downupdownupdownup.....etc

sorry if its confusing