I'm no idiot I know EMG's are awesome for metal but, i don't like them. I play tool to yngwie to Buckethead to Behemoth and back! I'm a lead guitarist in a prog metal band. I play in Drop D to Bflat tuning. Favorite Scales/Modes are Phrygian, Aeolian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Hungarians, harmonic/melodic, and a lot of middle eastern exotics. I'm very technical but not too keen on gear and all. I need a pickup that will have emotion. Very good low and high tones, clean, and distorted, active or passive. Links are welcome.
try the pickups that come stock on the explorer, they are awesome clean and with distortion, i forgot the names, but i use them when i play metal, anywhere from bullet to KSE to slayer to cannibal corpse, and coheed and cambria
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
duncan invade for bridge its AWESOME
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
Check out the Dimarzio Evolution
I'd link you but Dimarzio's site is not link friendly
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Doritoland
duncan invade for bridge its AWESOME

no. and yeah, im on the dimarzio wagon. the DAX's i have are just amazing. Try out the Evo's though, as that dude said. Dimarzio makes some great pickups.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by Zer0t0lerance
I'm no idiot I know EMG's are awesome for metal but, i don't like them. I play tool to yngwie to Buckethead to Behemoth and back! I'm a lead guitarist in a prog metal band. I play in Drop D to Bflat tuning. Favorite Scales/Modes are Phrygian, Aeolian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Hungarians, harmonic/melodic, and a lot of middle eastern exotics. I'm very technical but not too keen on gear and all. I need a pickup that will have emotion. Very good low and high tones, clean, and distorted, active or passive. Links are welcome.
Well a list you might want to try:

Dimarzio:
D Activator
Crunch Lab
Breed
Super Distortion
Mostly Bridge those..
Evolution (Neck)
Air Norton (neck)
PAF Pro (Neck)
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
You can check some sounds from there...

Seymour Duncan:
Blackouts AHB (Active)
Distortion (SH-6 passive)
Invader (SH-8 passive)
Livewire (Active)
Mostly bridge,but the actives work awesomely on neck too!
Sh-2 Jazz (Neck passive)
SH-1 Jazz (Neck passive)
Fullshred (for shredding..neck,but it's good in bridge too. Passive)
Custom (Neck passive)

Gibson: (All passive)
I haven't heard of their other pickups..like sound of them.

Well there's a few you must check out.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Is there any particular tone you're going for? Sharp with huge attack? Organic and sludgy? lots of bass? lots of gain?

More importantly, what guitar and amp do you have now? Pickups aren't going to do much if you need a total overhaul of your current tone.

My recommendations aren't worth much if we don't know what you're looking for tonewise.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
What amp are you using? The majority of your tone comes from your amp - pickups just help to fine tune your tone. If you're using a crappy amp then don't expect a pickup swap to completely change your tone.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What amp are you using? The majority of your tone comes from your amp - pickups just help to fine tune your tone. If you're using a crappy amp then don't expect a pickup swap to completely change your tone.
Yeah,that's true also..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Peavey 112 Bandit.
I also use Memory Boy deluxe analog delay, Noise Suppression Boss, and Metal Core ML-2 distortion pedal.
Is there any particular tone you're going for? Sharp with huge attack? Organic and sludgy? lots of bass? lots of gain?

More importantly, what guitar and amp do you have now? Pickups aren't going to do much if you need a total overhaul of your current tone.

My recommendations aren't worth much if we don't know what you're looking for tonewise.

I'm going for a very clear, fallen atmosphere type when i play clean. Then we usually build up to a heavy distorted weird minor/power chord progression for choruses, bridges are usually primarily based on the bass and the drums. Then solo's are usually clean with delay, or screaming light distorted like. Lengthy songs.
The Bandit isn't a bad amp but its still a SS amp and transistors don't react to pickups in the same manner as tubes. If you swap your pickups you will notice a change in tone but it will be pretty small.

Also, you may like the ML-2 but it is a very unpopular pedal (as are most cheap distortion pedals because they generally lack character and sound like a box of angry bees).

If you're unhappy with your tone you're better off getting an amp that's geared toward what you're wanting to play.
Some solid ideas for metal but to my ears, Wylde L500XLs are good and Irongear Steamhammer are brilliant. Wylde's may have better definition for lead work but the Irongear are hotter with extra bass response for low tunings.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Some solid ideas for metal but to my ears, Wylde L500XLs are good and Irongear Steamhammer are brilliant. Wylde's may have better definition for lead work but the Irongear are hotter with extra bass response for low tunings.

The L500XL is a Bill Lawrence pickup, not a Wilde.
The shop used to give me a Peavey Bandit to practice with when my Valveking was being fixed. I have to say I found it to be absolutely useless in a band situation, it has to be a beginner's amp. There's no way that you can play metal over a drummer with that thing. Maybe its ok in your bedroom with the volume on 4 (any higher causes the speaker to start rattling) but then I don't think you'd be worrying about tone in that situation.

I would get rid of that amp and buy a 6505+ like me.
Quote by sensei888

While I do think he needs a new amp, and I do love 6505's, I'm not sure if it is the right amp for him.
Life Sucks, And Then You Die

So make the very best of it

My Last.fm Profile

Please check out my Youtube, and friend me if you like it. I do C4C, and I gladly will crit anything if you ask me.

I <3 My Xiphos
Absolutely get a different amp geared more towards your music. Its far better to just get a Good amp that sounds and reacts the way you want it to, rather than a plain amp that has to be "fixed" with a slew of pedals.

Also, you've described your music.. but not so much the actual tone you're looking for. "atmospheric" to me might mean something completely different compared to what you have in mind. If fact.. it could be any kind of tone thats just fuddled with delays and reverb.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by sensei888
The shop used to give me a Peavey Bandit to practice with when my Valveking was being fixed. I have to say I found it to be absolutely useless in a band situation, it has to be a beginner's amp. There's no way that you can play metal over a drummer with that thing. Maybe its ok in your bedroom with the volume on 4 (any higher causes the speaker to start rattling) but then I don't think you'd be worrying about tone in that situation.

First off, if you can't be heard over a drummer with a Bandit then the amp was damaged - they are very loud amps.

Second, its good that you like your 6505 but they are not the end all to be all metal amp. In fact, I can think of several amps that can do metal just as good as a 6505 but are more versatile.

I play with my studios amp when i play in there and when I'm stage I'm using a Cabinet Marshall MA100C that my band mate's Dad owns. I haven't invested in a better amp for my practice room because I need better tone for what I am writing. I think the 6505+ is great though. I would totally get it if i had the money.
The Bandit isn't a bad amp but its still a SS amp and transistors don't react to pickups in the same manner as tubes. If you swap your pickups you will notice a change in tone but it will be pretty small.

Also, you may like the ML-2 but it is a very unpopular pedal (as are most cheap distortion pedals because they generally lack character and sound like a box of angry bees).

If you're unhappy with your tone you're better off getting an amp that's geared toward what you're wanting to play.

The ML-2 is fine, It isn't the best I've heard and I'm not really a fan of Boss distortion pedals, but it has some pretty damn good distortion distortion.
Quote by Zer0t0lerance

Try Sidewynder Pickups. They have a 22kohm Death Adder for out and out Power, but it also provides a clarity across the tone that I have never heard in a passive pickup before. I spoke to one of the guys at Sidewynder and he told me they have changed they way they wind, along with some differences in material build. They have provided the type of clarity you would normally only see in an active pickup, but they have taken away the sterility of an active. This leaves pickups which have extraordinary clartiy and offers an immensely versatile sound.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The L500XL is a Bill Lawrence pickup, not a Wilde.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html
scroll down the page Bill calls it the L-500XL and its $60
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html
scroll down the page Bill calls it the L-500XL and its $60

Not this again...

DIMEBAG NEVER USED WILDE PICKUPS.

He used the ones from http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/ ...

Specifically the L500XL. NOT the L-500XL. Bill and Becky are trying to use Bill Lawrence's connection with Dimebag to grow their business.

Nonetheless, their products are good.

/thread

Here...

Courtesy of davedoom

hmmmm, not in any peoples ive spoken to, and why do early pics of Darrell show him with stamped pups.

It has been proven in papers Willi Stitch is in fact an imposter pretending he made the original pups.
Im not saying the other ones are shiit, but theres some serious misconceptions surrounding these two rival companies.

This extract is from some site, im not going to argue anymore, im just saying the pups are virtual identical

As an Authorized Dealer of Seymour Duncan, Rio Grande, Van Zandt, Lace, L.R. Baggs and “Bill Lawrence USA” pickups, each and every day we are faced with a barrage of questions regarding Bill Lawrence pickups such as:

* “I spoke with Bill and Becky today and they say you must be selling Bill Lawrence knock-offs.”

* “Are you selling Bill Lawrence USA pickups, because I heard they’re inferior to the ones Bill and Becky makes.”

* “I heard Bill won’t be warranting any of those Bill Lawrence knock-offs anymore.”

* “How come your warranty says that Bill Lawrence guaranties your pickups, even though, Bill and Becky said they wouldn’t.”

First off, we at Music Bizness are committed to selling only the highest quality products. We don’t sell pickups made in Korea. We don’t sell pickups made in China. We don’t even sell pickups made in Japan. If a pickup is cheap and it doesn’t sound good, we flat out won’t sell it.

Secondly, we stand by everything we sell. Music Bizness is an Authorized Dealer for every brand we stock. As an Authorized Dealer, everything we sell carries a valid manufacturers’ warranty. Anytime you buy a Seymour Duncan, L.R. Baggs, Dean Markley, DigiTech, Van Zandt or Bill Lawrence product, you are covered. On top of the manufacturer’s warranty, we offer complete tech support and customer satisfaction guaranteed.

Now, let’s address the Bill Lawrence controversy with a series of perfunctory facts:

* Bill Lawrence is a trade mark owned by EZ Wajcman. The man who claims to be named Bill Lawrence is actually Willi Stich, AKA Billy Lorento and Bill Lawrence.

* EZ Wajcman purchased from Third National Bank In Nashville the rights to the Bill Lawrence trade name or any derivation thereof. Willi Stich registered a Servicemark to provide services. Ez Wajcman ownes the Bill Lawrence Trademark. By law, a service mark is for services and a trademark is for products.

* (Think about when Leo Fender sold the Fender Company. Afterward, he started a new company called G&L. Nothing he sold was called a Stratocaster or Telecaster, nor was it labeled Fender. Leo Fender no longer owned the trade name Fender, even though, it was his last name.)

* Willi Stich is an innovator in the pickup industry. His blade and samarium cobalt designs have made great advancements in the development of the noiseless “single coil” sound.

* The legally registred Trademark of Willi Stich is Wilde USA .

* The legal name of Jzchak Wajcman's pickup company is Bill Lawrence.

* When you visit billlawrence_com, you are visiting Willi Stich’s website.

* When you visit billlawrenceusa_com, you are visiting The Bill Lawrence Pickups Company website owned by Jzchak Wajcman.

* Pickups made by Willi and Becky Stich at Wilde USA are great pickups.

* Pickups made by Jzchak Wajcman at Bill Lawrence USA are great pickups.

* Some say Willi Stich’s pickups sound better.

* Some say Jzchak Wajcman L-500XL’s are more articulate and sound better.

* Some say Seymour Duncan’s pickups are the best.

* Some say DiMarzio’s are awesome.

* It's all a matter of taste!

* Currently, there is a bitter lawsuit regarding the Bill Lawrence trade name between Willi Stich and Jzchak Wajcman.

* The lawsuit originated when Willi Stich's and/or his wife, Becky, complained to eBay that people were violating their intellectual property rights by selling products under the Bill Lawrence name. The prestigious Dan Torres of Torres Engineering, who by no means would risk his reputation and company to sell knockoff Bill Lawrence pickups, was banned and prohibited from selling on eBay.

* Becky and Willi claim to have made the actual pickups that went into Dimebage Darell’s DEAN FROM HELL guitar. This is not true. Willi Stich had nothing to do with the Dimebag Darrell DEAN FROM HELL GUITAR. In addition, there are a multitude of documents regarding Washburn, and the Bill Lawrence Company as well as Dimebag interviews (one of which can be seen on youtube) to support this claim.

* Becky, Willi Stich’s wife, has repeatedly spread, for lack of a better word, propaganda on the Fender Forum and other guitar based forums and review sites regarding the fake, knock-off pickups labeled under the Bill Lawrence USA name.

* THERE ARE NO FAKE BILL LAWRENCE PICKUPS!!!

* In an attempt to fix the confusion, Jzchak Wajcman began labeling Bill Lawrence pickups as Bill Lawrence USA pickups. Unfortunately, doing so even furthered the confusion.

* Pickups made by Willi and Becky Stich’s company, Wilde USA, are manufactured in Corona, California. Their Pickups are made from quality materials, but on different machines than the ones used to make the world famous Dimebag Darrell L-500XL pickup

* Pickups made by the Bill Lawrence Company (USA), owned by Jzchak Wajcman, are manufactured in La Jolla, California. All pickups are made from only the best materials on the same machines used since 1982 that made world famous Dimebag Darrell L-500XL pickup

* If you call Becky and Willi Stich at Wylde USA, they may tell you that Bill Lawrence(USA) pickups are knock offs or imitations and won’t warranty those pickups. Unfortunately, in my own opinion, if Willi and Becky, were more forthright, they would simply say, “Oh, we don’t make those pickups that’s why we don’t warranty them, but Bill Lawrence USA does. Here’s their number so they can take care of you and get your pickup fixed.”

I feel we have been honest and forthright in presenting the facts regarding the Bill Lawrence controversy. For more information, you can go to the Bill Lawrence USA home page. Although the Bill Lawrence Company’s website is not the prettiest page, you can see the evidence and facts regarding this matter.

Please, I urge each and every one of you to cut through all the propaganda and know that both companies make great pickups. Choosing the right pickup ultimately comes down to one decision, “does it sound great to you? ” We sell hundreds of Bill Lawrence USA pickups, and nearly all of them agree, they're great pickups.We think so, too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.