Page 1 of 3
Im not joking when i say this, a good friend of mine was related to Derrick Bird "The Cumbrian Killer", he was her step-uncle.

So this girl put on her Facebook:

" feels so sorry for them victims that got killed in cumbria, rip♥"

My friend replies:

"And derrick"

All the other girls ganged up on her saying things such as:
"O and me yea the ****ing sick barstard he is!! x"

"yeah but he still killed people..and thats sick:/"

"I agree, hes not right at all, i have no respect for the twisted murderer."

I knew this was hurting my friend so i typed up the following in reply:

Okay so everyone here is saying hes a sick man for killing people? Yet the things is he didnt just get up and think "Ooooh **** it im gonna kill some people" he obviously had mental issues which had not been adressed too him.

Now i'd like too see you go up too the army and tell them they're sick people, they kill people and get paid for it, i dont... See more hear you complaining about that. So maybe you should pay your respects too every person that dies unnecesarily aswel as the families of the victims, along with the murderers family and the murderer themselves because Derrick Bird was a good man as far as his friends and family have said about him. How would you like it if say your dad one day just flipped and beat the shit out of your mum? Everyone else would call him a sick **** who needs locking up, but you know that your dad is a good man and wouldnt have done something so horrible. So why blame everything on Derrick Bird he must have suffered beforehand and afterwards, he shot himslef for Christs sake.

So this isnt aimed at any of you intendedly just the fact that maybe you should think about it before you start posting comments abusing people. My greatest sympathies go out too the victims and their families, which includes Derrick Bird and his family.

Opinions UG. Should i have stayed out of it? Am i wrong? Was it the right thing too say?

Thanks
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
I think it's clear that he did have issues.
Normally though I would just say to stay out of this kind of stuff, cos at the end of the day, on Facebook, common sense never wins.
"Beef, wtf?"
"Like cow, but with sauce"
What is with these idiots putting heart after their R.I.P. those ungrateful bunch of bigot cunt fucking whore shits?

Seriously though, it's stupid.
I applaud you for sticking up for your friend. It's obviously very distressing for her- she lost two step-uncles this week (IIRC, Derrick Bird killed his twin brother, right?).

What he did was deplorable. I'm neither going to defend or condemn the actual man until we get an idea of what was going through his head, but the actual act was disgusting. Yet it could have been triggered by anything.

The right thing to do right now is to send thoughts out to all those affected. There are people grieving. When a killer takes their own life, their family has still lost someone.
Quote by mallen i am
cos at the end of the day, on Facebook, common sense never wins.

Yeah, one time I took part in an argument against someone who said yoga was satanic and invited demons into your body. I'm pretty sure they still think they won.

But I still think TS did the right thing. People hate these people without realizing what was wrong with them.
Best guide on writing power metal lyrics
Quote by ReaperWaits
keep it fast, keep it epic, and for god sake mention dragons.
I think you're right that he obviously had something in there and just flipped. But to be honest, what he did was selfish.

Anyway, best to stay out of things like this, as someone already has said, common sense never wins on Facebook.
Check out my fitness blog here
Derrick Bird was a sick, twisted, COWARDLY bastard. Who gives a shit if he was mentally ill? Was killing a dozen innocent people going to help with it? No. Not only that, but the old cunt didn't even have the balls to face the consequences of his actions and instead chose to off himself in a forest somewhere like a pussy. Fuck Derrick Bird. I hope he burns in hell.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Can anyone get me a link to this, so I can read up on it? You've caught my attention, and I never keep up with news.
Quote by Colgate Total
I hope he burns in hell.

If you believe in such a place, doesn't your attitude also condemn you to it as well?

So I guess you can confirm it.

OT:

It is so easy to judge and condemn others. Takes no effort. Understanding is what is hard, and the majority don't want to take the time to understand.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I get the feeling you only defend him to stand up for your friend.
If it had been someone you didn't know I think you would have probably went with the crowd.

Has it been blamed on gaming yet?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Jun 3, 2010,
I feel sympathy for him too. While his actions were utterly horrific and in no way justifiable, he sounds from everyone who knew him like a genuinely good person who just had a complete mental breakdown. Why that happened we may never know and what happened itself was terrible but there is no way he was of sound mind when he committed the acts he did. It's tragic for everyone involved, including Bird.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Thank you for your opinions everyone.
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I applaud you for sticking up for your friend. It's obviously very distressing for her- she lost two step-uncles this week (IIRC, Derrick Bird killed his twin brother, right?).

What he did was deplorable. I'm neither going to defend or condemn the actual man until we get an idea of what was going through his head, but the actual act was disgusting. Yet it could have been triggered by anything.

The right thing to do right now is to send thoughts out to all those affected. There are people grieving. When a killer takes their own life, their family has still lost someone.

100% this, all the way.

Quote by Colgate Total
Derrick Bird was a sick, twisted, COWARDLY bastard. Who gives a shit if he was mentally ill? Was killing a dozen innocent people going to help with it? No. Not only that, but the old **** didn't even have the balls to face the consequences of his actions and instead chose to off himself in a forest somewhere like a pussy. **** Derrick Bird. I hope he burns in hell.

Assuming that those who are bad enough to do something like what he did are rational enough to realize any of this is just silly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

It probably would have helped you to use correct grammar/punctuation. But I applaud you for sticking up for your friend.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
What he did was wrong, but there is nothing wrong with a family member being upset about his death. They obviously didn't know he was going to kill people. They always knew him as a normal family member. It's reasonable to think they would be sad about his death, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

I mean I doubt anyone related to him would actually try to defend his actions, and it's clear that your friend certainly isn't.
Quote by mallen i am
I think it's clear that he did have issues.
Normally though I would just say to stay out of this kind of stuff, cos at the end of the day, on Facebook, common sense never wins.

+1
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by KGB_INC
It probably would have helped you to use correct grammar/punctuation. But I applaud you for sticking up for your friend.

You should never use "but" at the beginning of a sentence. However, that's completely irrelevant just like the first half of your post.
The man was pressured, disturbed and stressed. Nobody deserves to be demonised.
Quote by Colgate Total
Derrick Bird was a sick, twisted, COWARDLY bastard. Who gives a shit if he was mentally ill? Was killing a dozen innocent people going to help with it? No. Not only that, but the old cunt didn't even have the balls to face the consequences of his actions and instead chose to off himself in a forest somewhere like a pussy. Fuck Derrick Bird. I hope he burns in hell.

It was his mental illness that caused him to do this, he didn't just wake up, say "I feel like killiing lots of innocent people and blame my mental illness". Things aren't that black and white.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You should never use "but" at the beginning of a sentence. However, that's completely irrelevant just like the first half of your post.

Touché. However, the first half of my post isn't irrelevant at all. Correct grammar DOES somewhat increase your intellectual appearance, and can sometimes sway things into your favor in an argument on the internet. If one were to argue with pristine spelling against someone with teh l33t grammerz that unfortunately runs rampant across the internet, an audience (the people who read the entire argument on facebook) would more than likely respect the person with the correctly structured sentences more. I'm sure you would agree.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by KGB_INC
Touché. However, the first half of my post isn't irrelevant at all. Correct grammar DOES somewhat increase your intellectual appearance, and can sometimes sway things into your favor in an argument on the internet. If one were to argue with pristine spelling against someone with teh l33t grammerz that unfortunately runs rampant across the internet, an audience (the people who read the entire argument on facebook) would more than likely respect the person with the correctly structured sentences more. I'm sure you would agree.

It was irrelevant because it's a bit of a dick move to pull someone down due to their level of spelling and grammar in such a situation as this. Grammar Nazis should learn some tact. He asked for opinions on whether he was right to intervene, not if he was arguing a point correctly
Quote by Deliriumbassist

We can only condemn his actions. We can only guess at his reasons. From all I've read up until yesterday everybody was willing to call him a friend. Now he is Satan incarnate. He is the only person that knows what demons he carried with him. And he's not talking.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
We can only condemn his actions. We can only guess at his reasons. From all I've read up until yesterday everybody was willing to call him a friend. Now he is Satan incarnate. He is the only person that knows what demons he carried with him. And he's not talking.

one action changes who you are apparently. Obviously something happened to him which made him do this, we may never know what it is but i'm not going to condemn a man because of one thing
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It was irrelevant because it's a bit of a dick move to pull someone down due to their level of spelling and grammar in such a situation as this. Grammar Nazis should learn some tact. He asked for opinions on whether he was right to intervene, not if he was arguing a point correctly

My post wasn't one of degradation. Well, I'll be honest and say that it definitely wasn't intended to be one. I was simply saying it would have helped his cause. My post was relevant. I told him that I respected him for standing up for his friend. I didn't say it was a bad for him to intervene at all.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
I have no respect for Bird.

But I do think you are right to defend your friend as it must be beyond awful for everybody that this has drectly offended and you did the right thing trying to defend your mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I don't feel sorry for him and i'm glad he's dead, for all we know he was planning this for years and didn't 'just flip'. We don't know what was going through his mind, all i know is he shot a bunch of people and we're better off with this nutcase gone.

edit: and what is this bollocks about 'one action dosn't define a person'. Okay, lets hear how this works in reality 'yeah i'm an all around nice guy really but now and then i like to shoot a few people at random for the lulz, other than that though i'm sure you'd get along with me'.

lolno.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by KGB_INC
My post wasn't one of degradation. Well, I'll be honest and say that it definitely wasn't intended to be one. I was simply saying it would have helped his cause. My post was relevant. I told him that I respected him for standing up for his friend. I didn't say it was a bad for him to intervene at all.

I never said your post was irrelevant. Just the first half. You may not have intended it to be derogatory, but just have a think. You make a wonderful point about something and misplace a comma. Just a simple mistake. Then someone comes along, disregards the point and just picks on that misplaced comma. I'd be pretty annoyed.

I know you added something else in your post, but it's just something that all Grammar Nazis should think about.
Quote by Jackal58

I'm finding it hard even to condemn his actions.. Sure, I guess, killing is wrong, but if it's not .. 'Right minded', then how can we even know it was intentional..

I dunno, It's hard to express the way I feel about it. It's very sad, but I feel really, more sorry for the mother of the killer than anyone else, she lost both her sons..

Also, I agree almost wholeheartedly with TS on this. And yeah, when Facebook is involved, you expect to get a new breed of idiot vulture flapping their way down to shit on everybody, even if they don't do it with any merit at all. It's disgusting.
133 18 9463 8395 24 22 8358 4939
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I never said your post was irrelevant. Just the first half. You may not have intended it to be derogatory, but just have a think. You make a wonderful point about something and misplace a comma. Just a simple mistake. Then someone comes along, disregards the point and just picks on that misplaced comma. I'd be pretty annoyed.

I know you added something else in your post, but it's just something that all Grammar Nazis should think about.

I'm going to be honest with you, I appreciate you for picking that out. I tend to start sentences with "but" out of bad habit. I do it a lot, actually. I'm not at all annoyed by it. I was simply defending my post. I don't have any bad feelings about the correction at all. 'S'all good.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by demonsheep
I'm finding it hard even to condemn his actions.. Sure, I guess, killing is wrong, but if it's not .. 'Right minded', then how can we even know it was intentional..

I dunno, It's hard to express the way I feel about it. It's very sad, but I feel really, more sorry for the mother of the killer than anyone else, she lost both her sons..

The way I see it, I separate the action from the intention. You can do good things with the wrong intention, or bad things with the best intentions. Therefore it's still possible to condemn the act, but since we cannot fathom the intention or reason behind it, that aspect becomes a lot more grey.

Also, I agree almost wholeheartedly with TS on this. And yeah, when Facebook is involved, you expect to get a new breed of idiot vulture flapping their way down to shit on everybody, even if they don't do it with any merit at all. It's disgusting.

The internet is full of Keyboard Kommandos.

Quote by KGB_INC
I'm going to be honest with you, I appreciate you for picking that out. I tend to start sentences with "but" out of bad habit. I do it a lot, actually. I'm not at all annoyed by it. I was simply defending my post. I don't have any bad feelings about the correction at all. 'S'all good.

I've just seen far too many good points, stories and discussions ridiculed because of grammar and spelling mistakes when even the most simple minded person can make sense of what's being said in the form it was written without reference to any of the actual intellectual content as if it was a valid rebuttal. Everyone makes mistakes, no need to punish for it.

This really isn't meant to be a slight against you, so don't worry about that As I said, I've seen the whole Grammar Nazi stuff far too much recently.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't feel sorry for him and i'm glad he's dead, for all we know he was planning this for years and didn't 'just flip'. We don't know what was going through his mind, all i know is he shot a bunch of people and we're better off with this nutcase gone.

For all we know you've been planning a mass genocide for years. We don't know what is going through your mind. All I know is that you're going to hurt a lot of people's feelings with this post, and thus we'd be better off without you.

meh
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The way I see it, I separate the action from the intention. You can do good things with the wrong intention, or bad things with the best intentions. Therefore it's still possible to condemn the act, but since we cannot fathom the intention or reason behind it, that aspect becomes a lot more grey.

The internet is full of Keyboard Kommandos.

True, true. I guess I find it hard to separate the action from intention, then, but I get your point. From the point of view of someone interested in this kind of thing, I'd have loved to know what was going on in his head at the time.. But I don't know if most of us would be able to cope with it any better than he did..
I understand that Derrick Bird has mental difficulties and just snapped which made him kill these people, the only thing I don't understand is why did he already have the guns?

Sorry if this has alreayd been addressed in the news or w/e
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I understand that Derrick Bird has mental difficulties and just snapped which made him kill these people, the only thing I don't understand is why did he already have the guns?

Sorry if this has alreayd been addressed in the news or w/e

He had legally obtained them, he had a shotgun license from 1995 and a rifle one from 2001 I believe.
You did a noble thing. I wouldn't worry about what people like that think.

I don't think anybody can condemn him at this point, we have no idea of the events that lead to this, or to his mindset. However, I think it's clear that when these events took place, Derrick was not in his usual state of mind. All statements from those who knew him before the event have said he was a friendly, normal person. I guess something snapped within him that drove him to kill. Whether we'll ever know what that was I think is irrelevant, all we need to do is carry on with the memory of all of those that lost their lives, Derrick included.

And my condolences to your friends.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

"'But' is a word that should never be used at the beginning a sentence."

"'Buts' are not acceptable when taking responsibility for your own mishaps."

Grammar Nazis would do well to understand that grammar progresses over time. Even "ungrammatical" variants satisfy phrase structure sometimes more stringently than the established "proper" grammar of the language concerned. Ever use the word "caught?" It's grammatically incorrect. It was established via analogy a few hundred years ago, on the basis that the past tense of teach is taught, and the change from "catched" became popular. "Correct grammar" is essentially a social and political phenomenon. Know why Brits use "ou" (colour)? It's a carryover from the Norman Conquest. Entirely a political call.

Examples of technically "grammatically correct" sentences...

"Whom did you like in high school?"

"The extremity that intensity that the blue that the paint that the car has has has is remarkable." (triply embedded sentence)

Interpretive semantics for the win.
Quote by demonsheep
He had legally obtained them, he had a shotgun license from 1995 and a rifle one from 2001 I believe.

Oh thanks for clearing that up
Who the **** gave a guy with mental problems a gun license?!
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Colgate Total

How about fuck you.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

This.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Page 1 of 3