Okay, here's the scoop. I've been playing since October and playing electric since December. I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15w amp and a Laguna LE122 guitar, both I got from a starter pack.

I love guitar, and I plan on playing long into the future. I feel a little like I'm outgrowing my gear. I know it's only been about half a year since I got the guitar, but every time I walk into a Guitar Center, I feel like the one I have at home is shit. It's not that bad, but it's got some fret buzz, the knobs are a little wonky, it's a little ugly. It's not broken or anything. I just want something better.

Initially I wanted a Gretsch, and I still do, but they're a little out of my price range. At first I wanted an Epi LP, but I'd rather have an Epi Dot or one of their other hollow bodies. I really like the sound, look and feel of the hollow bodies I've played. Thing is, I played a standard Fender Strat the other day and absolutely loved it. The tone was amazing and it felt so easy to play.

So! What are the pros and cons of getting an Epiphone (or similar brand; ibanez artcore, etc.) Hollow Body or a Fender Strat? I'm not looking to spend any more than $500-600. I play jazz, the blues, lots of Beatles, classic rock. No metal.

Also, does anyone have any other recommendations? I've also briefly considered a Thinline Tele, but it seems out of my price range.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Wojiz
Okay, here's the scoop. I've been playing since October and playing electric since December. I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15w amp and a Laguna LE122 guitar, both I got from a starter pack.

I love guitar, and I plan on playing long into the future. I feel a little like I'm outgrowing my gear. I know it's only been about half a year since I got the guitar, but every time I walk into a Guitar Center, I feel like the one I have at home is shit. It's not that bad, but it's got some fret buzz, the knobs are a little wonky, it's a little ugly. It's not broken or anything. I just want something better.

Initially I wanted a Gretsch, and I still do, but they're a little out of my price range. At first I wanted an Epi LP, but I'd rather have an Epi Dot or one of their other hollow bodies. I really like the sound, look and feel of the hollow bodies I've played. Thing is, I played a standard Fender Strat the other day and absolutely loved it. The tone was amazing and it felt so easy to play.

So! What are the pros and cons of getting an Epiphone (or similar brand; ibanez artcore, etc.) Hollow Body or a Fender Strat? I'm not looking to spend any more than $500-600. I play jazz, the blues, lots of Beatles, classic rock. No metal.

Also, does anyone have any other recommendations? I've also briefly considered a Thinline Tele, but it seems out of my price range.

Thanks in advance.

No matter what guitar you buy, its not going to sound good through that line 6. any hollowbody will lose the tone its really meant to have. You really need a new amp. Trust me. I bought my ampilifer first, and im happy with it. Now i can focus on purchasing guitars and knowing that every individual characteristic of that guitar will shine through and ill be able to judge them fairly. Rethink your decision, 90% of your tone comes from your amplifier, remember that.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
I would recommend you save up for a nice amp that can really make a hollowbody sing! Like a 65 twin reverb or VOX AC30. I would suggest you go back to GC and grab your hollowbody or strat that you want and sit and play on some nice vintage tubes. For clean Beatles to crunchy Blues you cannot go wrong.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
i agree with the recomendations for a new amp in your future. spiders are limiting to say the least

that being said, im gonna recommend looking into a strat type guitar (i personally like the G&L tribut legacy, but a fender is still good) over the hollow/semi-hollow options. i've found strats to be amoung the most versitle and best playing guitars at any price, and the cheaper ones are usually pretty solid. i simply think that, asuming you like how they feel, you'll get more mileage out of a strat than a dot (i've never really liked the pickups on dots... something about them always seems muddy), which i've always thought sounded somewhat like a goofy les paul

if, however, you must go with a hollow or semi-hollow, im going to recommend a gretsch 5120 (korean made electromatic range). it may not be the most versitile guitar on earth, but i've found it to be better sounding than a dot.