Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a new, better amp, as I made the awful mistake of getting a Line 6 Spider model. It has really shit digital distortion tones, and I'm looking for something with a bit more "feel" to it, more natural sounding, with plenty of distortion.
I jump between genres quite a bit, but i mostly play Classic rock and metal, so something that can jump between the warm, overdriven sound of say, ACDC, to More distorted sounds, like Pantera and Metallica, would be brilliant , if such a thing is possible. Budget isn't an issue, as i have a long time to get the cash, but i don't want to pay over say, £200-300, unless its really necessary.
Also, my current amp is 15 watt, and its plenty loud enough, so no bigger than 30 watts will be necessary.
Thanks in advance.
Ps, my apologies if i sound lazy, i am actually doing my own research, i just hoped you guys could provide a deeper insight. links are welcomed, if you have them.
Thanks.
Current Gear:
Ibanez GAX30 Transparent Red
Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Tough one. You probably won't get a valve amp to suit your needs at that price, nearest being a Fender Super Champ XD, which will give nice cleans but lack on the distortion side. Going better SS you might look at the Hiwatt Maxwatt 100 combo. Its capable of what you want and works at low volumes as well as at gigging level. Output is up to about what a 30W valve amp would push out.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I'm guessing you won't be gigging anytime soon? I would suggest either a good 30 watt Randall solid state amp or a 30 watt Peavey Vypyr. If you're allowed to get loud, a Marshall Class 5 and a good OD can get you close to Metallica, not so sure about Pantera though.
Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided on the peavey vypyr 30 watt. It's not perfect, but it's enough for me at the moment.
Current Gear:
Ibanez GAX30 Transparent Red
Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Crybaby Original