dont laught but waht the hell is it? i may buy one but does it like do distortion or what? everybody has one and says its awesome
Yeah its distortion
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
It's an overdrive pedal. Just like what your amp has for distortion. A lot of people use it to give that extra boost for solos. They are great. I wish I didn't get ride of my maxon version But what amp do you have?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
It is not 'distortion'. It's overdrive, they're two different things. A Distortion pedal is meant to provide you with all of your distorted tones - you leave your amp clean and use the pedal when you want a distorted sound. With an overdrive poedal like the Tube Screamer, you use the amplifier's distortion and then use the pedal to just boost it up a little.

The Tube Screamer as it was one of the first overdrive pedals with a faily natural tone and quite a wide range, so it could give you just the smallest boost or it could give you a huge boost and make your amp sound like it was about to explode. However, the neweer Tube Screamers are made a bit more cheaply than the old ones of legend, plus technology has advanced quite a lot since the Tube Screamer was launched and nowadays, if you want a really straight forward overdrive pedal, there are much better options. People these days buy a Tube Screamer if they want 'the Tube Screamer tone', if you want 'an overdrive' you tend to look at newer pedals.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Getting a tube screamer was one of the best things I ever did. My amp is warmer than ever with this in front of it.
It is not 'distortion'. It's overdrive, they're two different things. A Distortion pedal is meant to provide you with all of your distorted tones - you leave your amp clean and use the pedal when you want a distorted sound.

Most of the overdrives have clipping diodes so they do distort themselves, right into a pristine clean amp. Some of them are even advertised to be used that way. The ones without any clipping are called boosts nowadays. And of course you can run a distortion into a distorted tube amp too, many people do.

The Tube Screamer as it was one of the first overdrive pedals with a faily natural tone

Except a pretty steep bass rolloff starting at 700 (!) Hz. That is fail at natural indeed. lol

the neweer Tube Screamers are made a bit more cheaply than the old ones of legend

A resistor is a resistor, a capacitor is a capacitor, an OP amp is an OP amp etc. no matter how you slice it. Tube Screamers are not rocket science after all.

if you want a really straight forward overdrive pedal, there are much better options. People these days buy a Tube Screamer if they want 'the Tube Screamer tone', if you want 'an overdrive' you tend to look at newer pedals.

Except most of those "newer pedals" are based on the TS or are exact clones.
The people in this thread are saying that it's meant to go with an already overdriven tube amp, and that is one way to use it.

I use mine with the clean channel though, and never use the overdrive channel on my amp. Either way is acceptable.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by Tinderwet
Most of the overdrives have clipping diodes so they do distort themselves, right into a pristine clean amp. Some of them are even advertised to be used that way. The ones without any clipping are called boosts nowadays. And of course you can run a distortion into a distorted tube amp too, many people do.
True. But most pedals labelled as overdrives can't clip the signal enough by themselves to get what most people consider to be a medium distorted tone these days, and vice-versa with distortion pedals, they usually struggle to provide any kind of clean or clean-ish boost.

Except a pretty steep bass rolloff starting at 700 (!) Hz. That is fail at natural indeed. lol
Typo. Either way... honestly when you start listing specific frequencies, that's when you know you need to get out more. Listen to the pedal. Can you hear the bass being sucked away? I sure as hell can't. Couldn't give a crap what the stats say, if I can't (or can) hear it, that is all that matters.

A resistor is a resistor, a capacitor is a capacitor, an OP amp is an OP amp etc. no matter how you slice it. Tube Screamers are not rocket science after all.
It's nowhere near as simple as that. There are many different types of resistor and capacitor, different materials, different quality. They all provide different sounds. You might as well be trying to claim "oh well a valve is a valve, all amps sound the same".

Except most of those "newer pedals" are based on the TS or are exact clones.
No, they're really not. If I were to list off every OD that has nowt to do with the Tube Screamer, we'd be here all night and morning. Suffice to say that off the top of my head right now, I can think of twelve which are nothing like the Tube Screamer in any way, shape or form. And that's at one in the morning when I've had three hours' sleep and can't be ****ed. I'ms ure if we coudl really be arsed, sat down and gave it some proper thought, we could have a hundred pedals named.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by breakdownkid784
dont laught but waht the hell is it? i may buy one but does it like do distortion or what? everybody has one and says its awesome

like asked...

what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
To simplify things for ya: It just adds a bit of punch to the tone, no matter how clean or distorted it may be.