thrash on a squire classic vibe 50's strat, specifically the olympic white model hehe =p im thinking the first thing id want to look into would be a noise gate?
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
john 5 plays one so why not? a noise gate will help, but really what you need is to put in some decent humbuckers
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Actually, I think John 5 plays a Fender Tele that squier make a cheaper version of.

You probably could with a decent set of humbuckers (probably not easy to install on a strat). You may as well use your Les Paul.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

john 5 plays teles mate =] and his tele actually has humbuckers in it. and its sexy.

my les paul is.. meh... its not exactly a joy to play.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
you could get some tele humbuckers for a beefier sound and to rectify the noise problem, but you might as well just use the les paul for thrash
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by sylphin
john 5 plays teles mate =] and his tele actually has humbuckers in it. and its sexy.

my les paul is.. meh... its not exactly a joy to play.

Except the one that had the **** headstock.

And I've seen John 5 shred on his sig Squire Tele. It was ina commercial for it :P

You can play on anything, obviously it wont be ideal but it'll work.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
if u get the sttrat u can take out the pickguard and get a prewired one with humbuckers...
Eh.
Might want to change the pickups to some hum cancelling singles like various Dimarzios or get a humbucker in single coil spacing like a Seymour Duncan JB Jr, I suppose you could but it would hiss like crazy unless you got the aforementioned pickups or some kind of gate.
You could do it - you wouldn't be the first person to use single coils for metal. However I would recommend you do an Iron Maiden and replace all the pickups with SD Hot Rails (though a Cool Rauls for the neck is advised, possibly for the middle position too).

Squier do make a white Strat that has three Hot Rails pickups in it already and a two-stud bridge that stays in tune much better than the normal 6-screw bridge, but the guitar itself is slightly lower quality than the Classic Vibe model - the CV is made of medium-grade alder while the Deluxe Hot Rails is made using low-grade basswood.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Seymour Duncan Little '59 is a good riggin. Course I have em in my Tele so it'll give ya a much different sound on a Strat, but if yer lookin to keep your Strat-Twang, kill the hum and cut off some of that single coil rustyness that'll do ya good.

Course you could always just set up your Paul-O so it actually plays nice
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Actually, I think John 5 plays a Fender Tele that squier make a cheaper version of.

You probably could with a decent set of humbuckers (probably not easy to install on a strat). You may as well use your Les Paul.

most strats are routed for humbuckers i believe
you definately could play thrash on your strat, however, looking at your list of guitars you have a couple superior choices.

that being said, give the strat a shot. if it sounds good to you, then you can play thrash on it. if it sounds like someone farting in a garbage can, take a pass. dont spend any money turning a squire strat into a thrash machine as that would be akin to modifiying a kia sedan... just plain dumb. save the money for a more suitable (again, you have better suited guitars in your quiver!!!)
Quote by Vacuity
most strats are routed for humbuckers i believe

I've never taken one apart but I thought because they had single coils in them they just routed them all for single coils. I know a few people have a bucker in the bridge position but i always thought that needed some serious dicking around to route the guitar properly.

Personally, I'd look at some stacked humbuckers instead.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
I've never taken one apart but I thought because they had single coils in them they just routed them all for single coils. I know a few people have a bucker in the bridge position but i always thought that needed some serious dicking around to route the guitar properly.

Personally, I'd look at some stacked humbuckers instead.

Most strats have either a HSH route or a "universal" route - it's just a single chamber that you could fit like 3 maybe 4 humbuckers in depending on how thing they are.

Like this
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
You can play thrash on anything, you'll just get different tones. Singles may feed back, but a Squire is probably routed HSH. If you wanted, you could put new pickups in, but if you used the stock, you might feed back a bit. Though others are right, you have guitars that are much better suited to Thrash than that particular strat.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
thanks for all the input =] i think ill invest in brining my les paul up to standard for now, and get the strat should i ever have the cash spare in the future.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Depends on the strat My 60s Classic Player strat was only routed for singles. I had to do the routing for a bridge humbucker myself. Not fun to do with an electric drill and a router type bit. I routed it a little small so I can clean up the job later whe I pickup a cheap router. My old Tokai strat was routed for a bridge humbucker but I fitted a really hot single coil in the bridge.