so by now ive learned my share of chords and the pentatonic scale, and i really want to get better and move further

my only problem is that i dont know where to go, everything seems to circle around. like to learn this, i first have to know this, and to know that i need to...etc etc

i assume at least someone here has been down a similar path, any advice?
just start applying what you know before moving on, try some Green Day songs, those are all pretty easy. Once you start learning new songs, you'll get a lot better, and there are different techniques to learn in each song.

Do you know how to read tab?
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
just start applying what you know before moving on, try some Green Day songs, those are all pretty easy. Once you start learning new songs, you'll get a lot better, and there are different techniques to learn in each song.

Do you know how to read tab?

yeah i probably shouldve mentioned in the op that i can play a decent amount of songs to, even though most of the are based on chords. and i totally agree with you, every song adds that little bit to your playing style
Quote by ((HeyOh))
yeah i probably shouldve mentioned in the op that i can play a decent amount of songs to, even though most of the are based on chords. and i totally agree with you, every song adds that little bit to your playing style

All right, I totally had a brain fart and forgot what it's called, but it's pretty much playing a chord one note at a time. try "Time of your Life" by Green Day, it's really easy, and it will teach you how to do this.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by Somekid94
You could also start learning the major scale, it helped me a lot.
This. Learning the major scale is huge. Not only is everything (including the pentatonics) based off of the major scale, but there's also a lot to learn. So get started!
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Somekid94
You could also start learning the major scale, it helped me a lot.

alright ill try that out. is the major scale like the pentatonic scale where you can move it up and down the neck to change the key or no?
Quote by ((HeyOh))
alright ill try that out. is the major scale like the pentatonic scale where you can move it up and down the neck to change the key or no?
Yes every scale is like that. Although it is recommended that you learn more than just the movable "shape." What I mean by this is you should know how each note functions and how the scale is built.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yes every scale is like that. Although it is recommended that you learn more than just the movable "shape." What I mean by this is you should know how each note functions and how the scale is built.

that sounds like a good idea, how exactly would i go about doing that

sorry about all the noob questions haha & i appreciate all the responses you guys
Quote by ((HeyOh))
that sounds like a good idea, how exactly would i go about doing that

sorry about all the noob questions haha & i appreciate all the responses you guys
Well it would take a long time to explain it thoroughly. I'll try to find you a lesson or something.

The Crusade is probably a good place to start. I think part 2 and part 3 are what you're looking for. I don't think you need part 4 to learn the major scale. Once you have a solid understanding of intervals you can piece it together yourself with the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (all major/perfect intervals, by the way) formula.

Sure the Crusade isn't the be all and end all of music theory columns, but it's certainly a good resource and definitely a great starting point.

Best of luck to ya! Remember to always ask us if you need clarification. Feel free to PM me, or if you would like, you can just ask in the forums. You'll pretty surely get a solid answer.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by food1010

+1 He's talking about theory, check out musictheory.net for some really good theory lessons.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
+1 He's talking about theory, check out musictheory.net for some really good theory lessons.

just from a quick look i can tell this site is gonna be helpful, thanks both of you. id do some sort of + rep deal if i could/knew how
TS, check the edit to my post.

Quote by ((HeyOh))
just from a quick look i can tell this site is gonna be helpful, thanks both of you. id do some sort of + rep deal if i could/knew how
Don't worry about it, it's why we're here
-Chick Corea
buy the book Zen Guitar
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
MAke yourselves some backing tracks and start using that scale to improvise! Scales aren't any good to you unless you use them