Hey guys, so I've decided that my infinity pickups in my Ibanez RG4EXFM1 aren't quite cutting it. I want a better soloing pickup for my neck and a more "br00tal" pickup for my bridge. The RG4EXFM1 is H-S-H, so i would also like a nice single coil for jazz (thinking about joining my school's jazz band.)

I play all things metal: death, progressive, hardcore; however, i still like to have a decent amount of versatility in my sound, though im sure i can achieve that regardless of pickups.

Yes, I have seen the EMG's and Duncan blackouts, however I play lead guitar in my band so I'm looking for a unique sound of which can be found by using passives. Because I'm getting passives, the wood of my guitar needs to be considered. My RG is basswood with a rosewood fretboard.

From what I have read, basswood tends to have more defined mid-high frequencies as it sometimes lacks lows. <-- Not too sure about this.

I've looked at both the Duncan and dimarzio sites, so I've seen all they have to offer, I'm just not sure which pickups to get to meet my desires and wood.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
If you live in Europe I can only recommend Bare Knuckle Pickups. Maybe a Miracle Man / Trilogy Suite / Cold Sweat set. Ask Tim at BKP, he's the main guy, and he's knowledgeable as f*** on those pups yeah!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Yeh i live in the US :/

Oh, btw, I'm looking for high output ceramics for both neck and bridge pickups.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Why don't you get your amp first?

Through a Vypyr, the change in tone is going to be minimal, if at all.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Why don't you get your amp first?

Through a Vypyr, the change in tone is going to be minimal, if at all.

Pickups are the source of tone and are small in price compared to the $2k halfstack I'm looking at.

I just figured I have time, so I'd tackle this issue now.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
Pickups are the source of tone and are small in price compared to the $2k halfstack I'm looking at.

I just figured I have time, so I'd tackle this issue now.

Not the best way to think of things.

Yes you are right in that pickups are one of the first points of contact for your tone. However, your amp plays a bigger role in shaping your sound.

The construction, wood, signal path, tubes etc etc all impact your tone. In the grander scheme of things, pickups play an important role in your tone, but they aren't the key player.

Hence, you can't tell how your guitar and rig will sound through the 6505. Best for you to get your amp first, figure out what is wrong, try it some more, then only commit to your final pickup choice.

Pickups don't change your entire tone, the change the nuances of your tone.

Save for your amp first. Then get the pickups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 3, 2010,