I personally think that this is ridiculous. It's just where kids "Follow their passions and go with them". However, it's more let the children do what they want. There's also a kind of this called "Radical Unschooling" where there's barely even parenting involved.

It's perfectly legal in MA, apparently. The families that have unschooled children just have to report that they're home schooled. It's not even controversial in my opinion, it's just illogical.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/unschooling-homeschooling-books-tests-rules/story?id=10796507

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling

Your opinions?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
You know I would expect this from Arkansas or Alabama.

Never Massachusetts.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I can't deny that most stuff learned in school is pretty useless, and possibly a waste of time. But there are some things that you just have to learn, and are essential in life. I'm all for kids finding what they love doing and devoting themselves to it, but truth is most won't. They'll spend all their time playing and having fun, finding nothing they can make a career out of and learning nothing while doing it.
When the state's economy is crippled by the pitiful output of diplomas and suitably qualified potential employees, we'll see who has the last laugh; that'll show those gay-friendly liberal Puritans.

Seriously though, when I saw the thread-title I thought this was some counter un-conditioning to erase the painful memories of public schooling
Where else are people going to learn to use the searchbar?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by thewho65

Seriously though, when I saw the thread-title I thought this was some counter un-conditioning to erase the painful memories of public schooling

This.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Could be cool if the parents did it right. Seems like a way you could potential eliminate all the bogus stuff about public school curriculums and spend the time learning valuable things, or truly exploring a subject deeply
Quote by tubatom868686
Could be cool if the parents did it right. Seems like a way you could potential eliminate all the bogus stuff about public school curriculums and spend the time learning valuable things, or truly exploring a subject deeply

You could even earn a Doctorate in Seuss.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
You could even earn a Doctorate in Seuss.

I mean more like, you could just do the bare basics of say english and history, but spend 12 years truly learning about physics; enough that you could have a very in depth understanding of even complex thoeries by the time you "graduate."

But like I said, it all depends on whos teaching you
i think parents should teach their kids, i learnt the basics in school which are tools to learn, (writing and reading) but i found a lot more out by watching the discovery channel and by just life in general, you learn abit in school but you live and learn anyway.
It's a range of educational philosophies, one of the four major schools, and it has become fairly influential in the past few decades and produced some good results. To call it "letting kids do what they want" is a facile reduction.
I prefer the term deschooling though, although lots of people don't make a distinction.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
i think parents should teach their kids, i learnt the basics in school which are tools to learn, (writing and reading) but i found a lot more out by watching the discovery channel and by just life in general, you learn abit in school but you live and learn anyway.

Really? I think if anything, it should be the other way around. Think about it, most people can read and write, and could (and usually do in some way) teach their kids how to.

But I know for a fact if I asked my parents how to do fluids equations, they wouldnt have the first idea on where to start
For most people, it'd be completely ridiculous and stupid. However, my friend's boyfriend basically does this and he's very knowledgeable and intelligent. He basically just learns about what he wants to when he wants to and hangs around having fun. It works for some that can handle it, but certainly isn't a good choice for most families.
Quote by tubatom868686
Really? I think if anything, it should be the other way around. Think about it, most people can read and write, and could (and usually do in some way) teach their kids how to.

But I know for a fact if I asked my parents how to do fluids equations, they wouldnt have the first idea on where to start

No they wouldn't but by the time you want to learn that i'd put a bet you'd be interested in all the things leading up to that before. Like you wouldn't start out in music by trying to play a steve vai song on guitar, you'd start out learning basics of the instrument and this same thing applys to anything in life, kids start out learning maths and reading and writing and as time goes on they can choose what they prefer. I never liked maths but i always loved english , drama and music :]

edit : what i'm saying is, interests develop and people learn on their own if they really are interested in those things.
Quote by thewho65

Hahaha. Same exact feeling here. I am disappointed
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Like most anything, this is conditional. Basically, if the parents or kids are dopes, it won't work and they'll slack off, and not obtain knowledge of any real educational merit. But if the parents or kids have a genuine will to better their children/themselves, it could potentially work, and with greater freedom than most schools would allow. However, you also have to account that this takes away the rest of the school experience, and the kids ability to have a normal social life, and have a more hands-on experience. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
My parents laughed at me when I showed them this article Let me stay home from that hellhole dammit!
love is love // return to dust
Massachusetts is like College Country!
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by Zoot Allures
No they wouldn't but by the time you want to learn that i'd put a bet you'd be interested in all the things leading up to that before. Like you wouldn't start out in music by trying to play a steve vai song on guitar, you'd start out learning basics of the instrument and this same thing applys to anything in life, kids start out learning maths and reading and writing and as time goes on they can choose what they prefer. I never liked maths but i always loved english , drama and music :]

edit : what i'm saying is, interests develop and people learn on their own if they really are interested in those things.

I think we both have very similar ideas actually. I think we should learn basics of everything, but only go in depth about things were interested in.

I guess my question is just this, if they arent learning it at school, where are they learning it?
For once, I am actually ashamed of my home state.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
What makes these parents think that they're qualified to teach their children anything besides how to wipe their asses?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by .h3xagr4m.
Neo-hippies

You honestly think that I'm on-par with those people? I'm insulted.

Anyway, as someone who's been homeschooled for part of their life, I'm just sick that some people abuse this idea to essentially absolve themselves of any and all parenting or teaching responsibilities. Plus on top of that, it's handicapping the kids; How do you think they'll cope when they get a job and have to wake up early, have to conform to a set of rules, have to learn basic employee conduct and procedures, etc., etc.? It's just a recipe for disaster that looks no farther than sunset.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I agree with a lot of the people that say education has to be rethought out. But this seems pretty ridiculous.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by necrosis1193
You honestly think that I'm on-par with those people? I'm insulted.

Anyway, as someone who's been homeschooled for part of their life, I'm just sick that some people abuse this idea to essentially absolve themselves of any and all parenting or teaching responsibilities. Plus on top of that, it's handicapping the kids; How do you think they'll cope when they get a job and have to wake up early, have to conform to a set of rules, have to learn basic employee conduct and procedures, etc., etc.? It's just a recipe for disaster that looks no farther than sunset.

Calm down, bro. The WBC and vastly different from liberal christians, but they're both still christians.
Check out my band Disturbed
I disagree with this. I believe free spiritism is very important to an extent but there needs to be a level of discipline the child is conditioned to.
EDIT:
okay I fully understand and realize the problems within the school system, but I don't think disregarding it is the best route. I did self schooling, (independent study) and I turned out fine, learned how to discipline myself and graduated with a 3.7 gpa.
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Jun 4, 2010,