Ok, its not a 'gig' kind of like a recital. Im covering Metallica's Unforgiven.. and im nervous as shit. I had a english speech earlier this week, and i did fine, just the 20 other people in the class are different from the 100+ stangers im going to be playing in front of. Ive tried turning my axiousness (<sp?) into excitement, and it has worked. Just have to find some real advice. I know the song in my sleep, but i dont know how im going to play in front of people. I am very into playing guitar, but i dont want to look like a know it all in my first performance. The song is very slow (which is a downside to the 'into guitar' bit) and i dont want to tremolo pick everything from my shaking hands. Advice please, thanks.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
klonopins. takes some. play.

EDIT: just try to chill out and not worry about anything. if you know the song like you say muscle memory should just take right over and you'll be fine.
Last edited by fudger at Jun 3, 2010,
wear sunglasses on stage so you can't see the crowd. worked for me once.
just uh..........................................................
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
once you start playing, it isn't so bad, trust me, been in the same kind of situation. think to yourself "hey, if they don't like me, well they can just **** off". Most people can't play guitar, so most of them will really envoy you in some kid of way. trust me, you are getting yourself nervous over nothing. like i said, it's not too bad once you start playing
If you ask me, playing in front of a bunch of strangers is better than playing in front of people you know. Most likely, since the crowd is only 100 people, your not going to see them again.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I've not got a great deal of advice with regards to the nerves but:
- Try to look at the audience, not always at the same spot but shift your gaze to different members of the audience. Make them feel involved.
- Move, even if you're just tapping your foot or nodding your head or something.
- If you do screw up, try to ignore it. Do not grimace or stop playing; chances are, the audience won't notice unless you give them the heads up.
- Enjoy yourself.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
this is actually getting me more pupmed to do this, rather than nervous.. thanks guys!
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Just keep thinking that your awesome. That's what I do when I play a gig. Even though I suck a bit and I'm nervous, I pretend that I'm the sh*t and it helps me through it.
-Give yourself an ego right before you get on stage

-(backup) If you know it in your sleep, try sunglasses. And the crowd would probably even dig it.

-Smoke some Mary Jane.
Do NOT smoke or swallow anything to kill your head. You want to be appreciated, not laughed at. Shades is a great idea unless you have magnetic eyes and can see the faces as 'crowd' not individuals. Once you get going, I expect you'll get a bit of buzz and start really enjoying it. There's no feeling like it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by GoIrish668
If you ask me, playing in front of a bunch of strangers is better than playing in front of people you know. Most likely, since the crowd is only 100 people, your not going to see them again.

this is what has helped me

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I feel for you, bro, I had a similar situation back in February, when I played for my school's talent show. What I did was some audience interaction, involve them a bit, but just don't get too cocky and f*ck up.

I'm sure you have practiced enough so that won't happen. I wish you the best of luck on your performance.
(P.S., imagine the female audience members in their underwear. Works every time! )
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
I've played a few shows with my band, and it seemed that we were so uptight and nervous, where in the end, it doesn't really matter. Who cares what people think. You don't get better unless they critique you. In my opinion, play a show like you practice, like there's nobody else in the room. People love energy too. Start jumping around or the occasional smile when you're playing. Just pretend you're in a big empty room. Just let it go, and play.
Also, remember that you are your own harsh critic. Even though everyone thought you did great, you may think it was terrible. Again, something I dealt with in my performance. You feel like you f'ed up or felt like something was missing.

Just don't fret and have fun! Once you get into the groove, there's no stopping you!
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."