Today I started playing football in a team, in the JV league, and I have to say I felt in love with the adrenaline and with the sport itself, I liked it alot C: But im still a newb, today was the first time i ever tackled someone or the first time i ever threw a football , and IMO i did it fine. I admit i had problems catching the ball when it was too high, mainly, I catched it and then it slipped off my hand. Any tips for a rookie in this sport? Thanks alot ^_^

Btw im not american, and the teams arent school-based.

EDIT: I forgot to say, im aiming for any offensive position, especially RB. Im slender, agile and fast.
Last edited by TheClown at Jun 3, 2010,
Do you mean American football?

Practice throwing and catching, general hand eye coordination? fitness blah blah blah

oh and learn gibberish

yellow monkey 34 87 12 hut hut shed!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
A lot depends on your position. Without knowing, all I can say is keep low, keep square, keep your head up, and have fun. Keep your feet moving.

Edit: Oh god the Brits are awake, here comes the Football vs. Soccer debate
That's right I called it soccer!
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
If you can, use your body to catch the ball.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Do NOT put your head down when you tackle. You're going to **** yourself up if you do that. Keep your head up. It can lead to paralysis if you're unlucky.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by guitarsftw

ive always been taught to use your hands.... but to TS, no matter what position you play, be AGGRESSIVE. Get angry at the opposing team. If the coaches see you raeg then theyll like you. hit hard and keep going. stay focused too.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
yeah when you catch the ball bring it into your stomach, like how you would catch a rugby ball.

also make sure that you keep looking and stay aware of where your team is so you can always off load the ball in the right direction

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by TheClown
Today I started playing football in a team, in the JV league, and I have to say I felt in love with the adrenaline and with the sport itself, I liked it alot C: But im still a newb, today was the first time i ever tackled someone or the first time i ever threw a football , and IMO i did it fine. I admit i had problems catching the ball when it was too high, mainly, I catched it and then it slipped off my hand. Any tips for a rookie in this sport? Thanks alot ^_^

Btw im not american, and the teams arent school-based.

you are doing it wrong. the only way you can improve your football is firstly to read and understand the rules.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
you are doing it wrong. the only way you can improve your football is firstly to read and understand the rules.

Obviously they taught me how to threw it the correct way. They said i was doing it fine.
Quote by midi pure

He's talking about American football.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by TheClown
Obviously they taught me how to threw it the correct way. They said i was doing it fine.

you dont throw the ball in football. its all about kicking the ball. hence the name "football"

EDIT:

Quote by JayT44
s talking about American football.

ah ok. i have no idea then. good luck with it!
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by TheClown
...first time i ever threw a football...
Birthday : January 1, 1990
You're 20 years old and you have never thrown a football before? I don't even know what to say to that.

Anyway, good luck and just have fun with the game.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
You're 20 years old and you have never thrown a football before? I don't even know what to say to that.

He said he wasn't american in the OP.

But why are you still in high school if you're 20?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by Got Guitar?

why is this so complicated to everybody?

this guy is in a foreign country to the US, playing american football. he probably grew up playing sports popular in his own country.

practice throwing and catching, as dropping an easy pass is never a good thing, and since your running back, practice maneuvering around people, breaking through tackles, etc...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Got Guitar?

^That.

On topic: Dudebuddy that said to get angry has the right idea.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Don't worry about anything but catching the ball, after u caught it u can worry about tds or being hit. Ur build sounds like ud be a better wide reciever, slender usually means getting yourself destroyed at rb.
im 16 O_o maybe i registered with wrong date.

EDIT: I never use my real birthdate within accounts.
Last edited by TheClown at Jun 3, 2010,
ALWAYS run to the sideline. Cutting inside never works.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
ALWAYS run to the sideline. Cutting inside never works.

False.

Ignore this.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
False.

Ignore this.

You're a dumbass sophomore from Richmond, which explains why you suck at football.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Last edited by Zombee at Jun 3, 2010,
If your going for RB learn jukes and stiffarms and most importantly how to tuck the ball. I cannot tell you how many people do not know how to tuck a football so that it doesn't just flop out of your arm. I'd also suggest working out and building muscle and well as doing a lot of cardio. The bigger you are, the better you're going to fair. As for catching, bring the ball to your body as quick as possible, and catch with your hands, not your chest, arms, etc. Any other questions, just ask in the thread, I'll come back eventually. =P
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Quote by guitarsftw

Don't do this.

When you catch the ball, form your two hands into one diamond/triangle and the ball should fall in perfectly. If you use your body to catch the ball it's just going to bounce off you and you'll look like a jackass.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Zombee
You're a dumbass sophomore from Richmond, which explains why you suck at football.

How old are you? Just proves that age means nothing. Grow up.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
*seriously guys*

Anyways, just get used to collision. Me and my friend did straight-forward tackling drills all the time just for fun. It helped a BUNCH. Alternatively, be Earl Campbell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJybuzkMT0
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by Hasok
american football?that game is for kids...
play soccer or rugby

soccer is a kids sport...

rugby on the other hand is not
Quote by JayT44
How old are you? Just proves that age means nothing. Grow up.

Don't give advice if you don't know WTF you're talking about.

You are 16 so you probably don't start for your high school, but if you did, it'd still be Richmond which is about the equivalent of any other Jr. High School's football team.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Don't give advice if you don't know WTF you're talking about.

You are 16 so you probably don't start for your high school, but if you did, it'd still be Richmond which is about the equivalent of any other Jr. High School's football team.

Sir yes sir!

Sorry I pissed in your Mt. Dew by saying you were wrong about how "cutting to the inside never works". Newsflash: That's not remotely true. If someone sucks as a back, then cutting won't work at all, it's all in the runner killer. It's not a scientific proven fact, it's individual skill. Do you really think that no one ever cuts to the inside and can break free? Have you seen an NFL game? Or even a college game? Hell, or ever been to a high school football game?

Once again, grow the fuck up, internet tough guy.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by bingeandletgo

Eleven seconds into the video. NEVER DO THAT. I play running back and my advice would be to get low, possibly use your shoulders to plow through people unless your skinny, in which case use whatever speed you got. Lucky for me, I'm quite fast for my weight so I'm a fan of running as fast as I can right through people. Just hold onto the ball... fumbling's pretty much the only thing you need to worry about, other than getting crushed by eleven guys
Any normal mans neck would just snap under the pressure^
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by JayT44

Sir yes sir!

Sorry I pissed in your Mt. Dew by saying you were wrong about how "cutting to the inside never works". Newsflash: That's not remotely true. If someone sucks as a back, then cutting won't work at all, it's all in the runner killer. It's not a scientific proven fact, it's individual skill. Do you really think that no one ever cuts to the inside and can break free? Have you seen an NFL game? Or even a college game? Hell, or ever been to a high school football game?

Once again, grow the fuck up, internet tough guy.

The kid is a new player jack, he wants to be a RB. I tell him not to cut in. You're a douchebag. Going to the sideline is always the smarter option, anyone who's even played little league knows that. Its common sense.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by sammmm
Eleven seconds into the video. NEVER DO THAT. I play running back and my advice would be to get low, possibly use your shoulders to plow through people unless your skinny, in which case use whatever speed you got. Lucky for me, I'm quite fast for my weight so I'm a fan of running as fast as I can right through people. Just hold onto the ball... fumbling's pretty much the only thing you need to worry about, other than getting crushed by eleven guys
yeah eleven seconds in is a sure fired way to get paralyzed. It works for earl though since I am pretty sure he is part truck or something.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by frog_friend
yeah eleven seconds in is a sure fired way to get paralyzed. It works for earl though since I am pretty sure he is part truck or something.

Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.