First off, I hate all caps, but it just feels right for the magnitude of the occasion. So today the magical US Postal Service dropped off new goodies, all of which sound great. I got all of these overdrives to test out and keep 2, possibly 3. I am comparing them not only to each other, but seeing also if I can't dial in the sounds I hear from the pedals on ch. 2 of my Traynor YCV40WR
The 6 pedals are:
- Lovepedal Kanji 9
- Jetter Jet Drive
- Xotic BB Preamp with Mid Boost
- Rothwell Hellbender
- Fulltone OCD
- Fulltone Fulldrive 2 w/ Mosfet

I've done nothing for the past 5 hours but fiddle with knobs and play, and all sound amazing in their own right. Here are my first impressions, more detailed reviews will be posted later for sure, all of these pedals deserve their own in depth look. Here's what I can say so far( note I have had both Fulltones since Saturday, all others arrived today):

Lovepedal Kanji 9

Pretty amazing medium gain pedal, has three controls, consisting of volume, glass, and gain. The glass knob is not a tone knob, rather a treble booster. I like it around 9 oclock. Also has two threeway mini toggles, one that varies compression and one that changes the type of overdrive, from the typical midhump to a more transparent drive. Cleans up pretty well. Definitely sounds like a lead type pedal to me, but more experimentation is needed.

Jetter Jet Drive

If you like low-medium gain pedals, this one may just take the cake. Of all 6, I already know I'm keeping this one, absolutely fantastic, extremely amplike and transparent. This pedal really excels at the slight breakup sound, think John Mayer's tone on where the light is pre-solo boosts. Dumbleish you might say? Just fattens the sound in an unbelievable way, very thick, chewy, and three dimensional. Did I mention it is a Dual overdrive!? the green side (as opposed to blue) is more British in flavor, a nice crunch and medium gain lead tone. with both sides stacked it is pretty orgasmic for leads all by itself, great clarity on chords too. Each side has a volume, gain, and lean/rich control(kind of like a tone, but not really). Definitely the new silent killer or secret weapon of my rig.

Xotic BB Preamp w/ MB

Thick british distortion, pretty good clean boost too. Great rhythm pedal, has gain, volume, treble, and bass knobs with a midboost knob in the center. Great flexibility with the eq, I can easily go from a thick ac/dc sound to a more raw sound with the turn of the eq knobs. definitely gets into distorion type tones with the drive knob up a good bit. Cleans up nicely. Just a nice thick sounding overdrive, still experimenting with this one.

Rothwell Hellbender

I have never really cared to try so called Marshall-in-a-box pedal, but after listening to some clips online, I just really liked the sound and decided to order one. AMAZING sound, nice and thick like the BB, but more defined and open, chords just sound amazing even with gobs of gain. Great cleanish booster as well for just a bit of British Grit. If you are looking for that MIAB type sound or are just looking for some British Flavor, Highly Recommended. Typical tone/vol/gain knobs, hand made in England.

Fulltone OCD

People seem to have a love hate relationship with this thing. Very open for the most part, but definitely gets gritty and compressed on high notes. Also has some natural fizz behind notes when you listen, not sure I am digging it. Obscene amount of gain, but great range on the knob. If you are looking for an extremely versatile box, this may be the one. Amazing bass response, pretty transparent besides the slightly added bass. Not really much else to say here, it is probably the most recognizable of the boxes I have bought, see youtube for more information. typical gain/vol/tone controls with hp/lp switch (high peak/low peak)

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 w/ Mosfet

Also a very versatile box, especially with the boost section. However, kind of bummed the boost side is dependent on the overdrive already being on. The boost is definitely a gain boost, which gives more grit depending on where you set the knob. This is the tried and true Blues Tubescreamer tone. Some bass loss, and a nice midhump when engaged, although this can be modified with the three way toggle that determines the type of clipping. The Compcut mode is great for a really clean boost, so clean I would probably never use it on a gig, also because of the aforementioned bass loss. I keep it mostly on the vintage (READ:Tubescreamer) toggle most of the time though, really love the fluid TS type ts tones I can get with this thing. The Kanji 9 can also do this extremely well. typical gain/vol/tone knobs with knob for boost level. Really sweet blues pedal. See youtube or harmony central, TGP etc.

These are just my first impressions, but I have already fiddled with these things to find the sounds I like in each. I will definitely post a full review of each pedal on the site. I am also comparing these all to my trusty stock Boss BD-2 which I LOVE for a sweet, warming clean boost and a stock Ibanez TS9 I inherited from a friend.

If you have any questions or want me to compare two or more in a certain way, please let me know and I will report back my findings. Wish I could do clips, but have no way of recording right now. I may however try my hand through my pretty high quality webcam to maybe post some clips on youtube. Finally, what thread is complete without pics!?

Family Shot

Pedals Only
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Last edited by ledroses23 at Jun 4, 2010,
I'll see what I can do, and thanks man! I am taking all the pedals to band practice this weekend, so I'll have a good sense of how each pedal sits in a live mix as well.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Epic happy new pedal day.

I only just got my Kanji 9 recently too. I think its a pretty epic pedal. Just need to get used to the treble booster bit.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Great family of pedals you've got there. Enjoy them.

I've been lusting after a Red Witch Empress Chorus for a while, but I keep spending the money on other things. It looks like you need a very big pedalboard.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
someone prepping for "gain war 2010"?

i'd like clips of the bb as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm a dirtbox fetishist myself, and frankly I'm painfully envious of your collection! Thinking of adding an OCD or an OCD clone of my own to my collection, how do you like them for a gritty, Gibbonsy Texas Blues sound?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Woot for OD kicks. I had mine a few months ago and now I'm down to one. The Jet Drive is awesome, I almost wound up with it instead of my Textosterone and I might go pick one up next week.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Those two fulltones are amazing, mind if i take them off your hands?
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS

Honestly everything up there blows them away for most uses.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by IbanezRGS

With the Kanji and Jet Drive I'd doubt he'd even notice they're gone.

And HNP('s)D! Some awesome overdrive's you've got there.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
very nice set up u got there, i have serious gas for the red witch

HNPD
you are what you is
I love my BB Preamp Custom Shop MB. It's the best overdrive pedal I've ever tried.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
How's the MB compare to the regular BB Pre?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quick Update: Added individual shots of each pedal. The Jet Drive and Kanji stack incredibly well. I can use the Jet Drive for slight distortion with the red witch and analog man delay for creating incredible soundscapes with some Eric Johnson type chording. Then, when I want that singing EJ type lead tone, I kick the Kanji on. Also, I am trying to like the BB Preamp, but right now the Rothwell just sounds better in almost every application. Still playing with it though... There is definitely overlap between the sounds of the OCD, BB Preamp, and Hellbender. The OCD even overlaps a bit with the Kanji and Full-Drive. The Jetter is just such a unique pedal though, so orgasmic. And yes, the Red Witch is definitely a killer pedal for those thinking about it, extremely versatile, sounds as big or thin as you want it to be.

@necrosis1193: the OCD is great for a gibbons type sound; nice and thick, round tone. I think you would be rather pleased with the pedal, just find the sweet spot on the gain knob for stuff like that or it gets grainy.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
I really want a Jetter and a Hellbender. HNPD indeed!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
If you don't mind, how do all of your pedals work for boosting?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
@TommyB: All work pretty well as boost, although the ocd to me is not a boost pedal, more of a standalone overdrive. After two band practices of knob fiddling, I can finally say this about each of the pedals:

Kanji- My new go to lead pedal. This is not a rhythm box by any stretch of the imagination. It is also quite noisy because there is so much gain, even with the knob at about 10 oclock. Definitely wont be using this as any sort of clean boost. However, If you want that silky smooth tone with a bit of bite for leads via the treble knob, this is the pedal. Almost has a fuzz quality to it that just makes it so smooth, hard to describe.

Xotic BB- jury's still out on this one. I like the eq knobs, but it sits somewhere between the spongy gainy rhythm and compressed lead tone. I really want to like this pedal but I am just not bonding with it. Somewhere between the rothwell and ocd for thickness of sound. If you were only getting one pedal I would give this one a serious look, but I believe I am returning this one.

Fulltone OCD: Bassy. really bassy. When I kicked this pedal on I pretty much got buried by the bass player, no matter what volume. By far the chunkiest, thickest distortion, but I don't dig it for lead playing, up around the 7-15 frets of the top four strings just leave something to be desired. Good rhythm pedal with the tone turned up. Still haven't decided if I am keeping this one or not.

Rothwell Hellbender: Very similar to the OCD, although not as thick, and definitely less gain on tap. However, this is not a bad thing. Very pleasant crunch, more so than the OCD, which is just plain thick. I really like this is a rhythm machine. OK for leads, but I wouldn't kick it on as a solo boost.

Fulltone Full-Drive 2: I like this pedal because of the versatility. pretty decent clean boost, but I'll never use it because of the bass and low mids it cuts. killer med. gain blues pedal, I keep it in the vintage setting, the mid hump helps cut through the mix. However, when the gain is past about 2, the sound becomes very generic to my ears.

Jetter Jetdrive: Finnicky little pedal. some bass loss, but not a lot. I like to use it for an ever so slight break up sound that's mostly clean. Also has some type of fuzz quality to it, just wooly, but defined. very thick for a low gain pedal, I really dig it. With two different low gain overdrives in this one box, it covers a lot of ground between the completely clean sound and almost saturated lead sound. Definitely a keeper.

So right now I know I am keeping the Kanji and JetDrive, just dont know what else I will keep. If you have any more questions about how these sound in a band setting or just knocking around at home, feel free to ask.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Hi.I would like to know which one sounds better.Rothwell Hellbender or the BB Preamp?I have the Hellbender and i was planning to purchase a BB Preamp MB after seeing some clips online.Both these pedals sound similar(the midboost i mean).So which one do you think is better,in tone,versatility etc?
Quote by ares_legend
Hi.I would like to know which one sounds better.Rothwell Hellbender or the BB Preamp?I have the Hellbender and i was planning to purchase a BB Preamp MB after seeing some clips online.Both these pedals sound similar(the midboost i mean).So which one do you think is better,in tone,versatility etc?

I think this was a MASSIVELY EPIC ZOMBIFICATION of a 6-year-old thread.

Start a new thread.