You be the judge. I am looking for info on which guitar would be the better choice for my price range.
I have been looking at the ESP LTD FX400(ebay etc) and the FX 360. Also, the Epiphone Gothic series Explorer. Does anyone have any input as to which guitar would be the better buy? I've been leaning towards the ESP LTD for many obvious reasons, but does anyone have ANY experience with both?! Or one or the other. I'm looking for player responses, not just FANS of certain brands. Thanks a ton!!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom(antique white, SD hot rod set zebra, no pickguard)
ESP LTD EC401(tobacco sunburst, SD Distortion pups)
Epiphone EJ 200(sunburst)
Fender DG100(natural)
Applause Strat (copy red)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
I have an FX-400 that I bought used from Ebay. Well worth the money IMO. Mine has very good fretwork. Those were made in Korea, while the 401 and 360 series were/are made in Indonesia and China, respectively.

One complaint I have is that the "Black Nickel" crap wore off of the hardware so now it's chrome.
Nice! I was wondering about the 401 and 360. They still seem like solid guitars. Just a choice to make I guess. I guess, I'm really not a fan of the Epi. The black looks nice, but I really like the natural stain of the FX series(very James Hetfield like) which is what I am going for really.

As far as the "black nickel", that does suck, but I wouldn't mind.
Fender DG100(natural)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
*bump*
Fender DG100(natural)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
I got an ex-401, seen both the 401 and the 360(?) i think in store, anyways it was a cheaper model of the 401 and the difference sure was there, not only price-wise. I'd say go for the 401, If i recall correct the 360 doesnt have active pickups like the 401 does, which pretty much makes a huge difference in output which is what you want for heavy sound like trash metal.

about the black nickel, its still on mine. tho one of the edges of the guitars body itself has a little damaging in the paint. I think you'll see that with all sharp pointed guitars tho..
Last edited by Lythox at Jun 4, 2010,
I own a EX-400. Great guitar, haven't played any of the other you wrote though. Just based on the looks, the Epiphone is a winner in my eyes, but the new EX-360 sure is a beauty to though.
Lythox: The EX/ FX-360 has the same active EMG pickups that the earlier EX/ FX models has. The older 260 models hade some kind of passive ESP pickups.
Noob on most guitar-oriented stuff.

ESP LTD EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Peavey Bandit 112
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Digitech RP500
Well, it seems like your mind is already made up. From my experiences with LTD's and Epiphones, the LTD's have always been better, even when they were cheaper.

If you don't like the color of the hardware, that can be relatively cheaply remedied, thanks to GFS.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Jackson Kelly <3
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.

Epi Goth

Overall, the Gibson feels way better than the Epi, which is to be expected; however, even for the silly price I paid for the Epi, it's quite a beast and has sported various PUs. Combined with the proper set-up, it slays.

I like the necks on the ESP and LTD 7 strings, but prefer the various Gibson and Epi necks over the LTD for 6 strings and Explorer-types. YMMV!

I spent my high school musical career with my trusty epiphone goth x-plorer. Aside from the emotional attachment, I must say it's really an average geet. The balance is terribly off when playing standing up, so you may need to change the strap pin locations or add some weight to the body. I just got used to holding it in a certain way to compensate.

It has a nice clean sound with the stock pick-ups, and somehow crunchy dist's. I put in EMG HZ4 / HZ4A on mine, which really brought a very warm clean sound and a killer dist. In any case, it's great for an epi.

The playability is not so good ,if you're a shredder, on the higher frets. No convenient cutaways on this one. The volume knob is awkwardly placed if you're into viola effect. Pot's are decent overall.

The finish is very fragile, and prone to get sticky on the neck. This was the only "satin" guitar I owned so I don't know if this is commonplace or not. In any case, you need to take extreme care handling and cleaning it.

Well, it was THE most important guitar in my life, so I feel compelled on advising you to try one out before buying one of the LTD's.

Hope this helps a bit.
Go for an LTD FX, or an Agile Ghost.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate