I'm applying to colleges this summer and my top choice is University of Arizona, but provided I'm accepted, I need to figure out an inexpensive way to get me from Tucson to my hometown of Houston or else there's no way I'll be able to afford travelling four times a year (Christmas, summer, spring break, Thanksgiving) on top of tuition. Flying is stupidly expensive, and apparently I have to watch my back constantly at Greyhound stations. Anyone have experience with travel by train? Pros and cons? I don't mind the length of the trip as long as it's relatively inexpensive.

EDIT: Spare me the political criticism please, it doesn't help and is completely irrelevant.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Jun 3, 2010,
I'd say that the biggest con is that you're going to Arizona.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Just got back from a trip in Europe and the trains were alright, but I don't know how long of a ride it would be from Tuscon to Houston. I think it would be pretty long, but the only thing that would be faster would probably be flying.
Quote by bnull24
Just got back from a trip in Europe and the trains were alright, but I don't know how long of a ride it would be from Tuscon to Houston. I think it would be pretty long, but the only thing that would be faster would probably be flying.

...or TELEPORTING
Trains are quite slow when compared to planes. But you can watch the scenery better from a train than from a plane. And I'm not sure long distance train trips are significantly cheaper than planes going the same distance.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Ive takin trains cross country before.

Let me tell you, its boring as ****. But an amtrak ticket from chicago to washington is only $90, and you can bring basically as many bags as you want. And really, its no more boring than a plane as long as you bring an ipod. I know the ticket from chicago to dearborn michigan is only $45, and tuscon to houston cant be much farther, so I would expect it to be about that much

EDIT: Post above, I know for a fact that amtrak tickets are a mere fraction of the cost of airline tickets.
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 3, 2010,