I just bought a very very lightly used ESP LTD EC 1000 they other day and I absolutely love it! I finally got the time to replace the strings on it and I'm sort of concerned. I put D'Addario .11s on it, and even in standard tuning I get an awful rattle and buzz whenever I pick a note. Its the worst on the top 3 strings. As you can imagine, I cant even play in any drop tunings either, the rattle just gets worse!

Whats more confusing is I have the same strings on my crappy Squier Strat, and I can tune down to A# without a problem. The strings are a bit loose, but still playable. I cant see why things would be any different with a higher quality guitar and the same strings.

I'm not sure what to look at. I'm very new to messing with guitar hardware and I have no clue where to start. I've been reading into intonation and truss rod adjustment, but that looks complicated. Im not sure how to change the string action on my guitar either. The guys over at Guitar Center are absolutely no help at all either. I think they're just excited they made a sale...

So an suggestions? I'm open to anything. What should I do?
if you are not familair with setting up a guitar, pay to get it done, and watch and ask questions while they do it so you can learn.

its not hard to do yourself, but there could be a potential for damage if you mess up adjusting the truss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do you think adjusting all of that would make the difference? I'm fine paying for it if it would make that world of difference for my guitar and playing.
i proper setup will make a $200 guitar like a $1000 guitar and a $1000 guitar play like a $200 model. trust me its really importiant.

also it should only be like $20 or $30, and should be worth every penny.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
See JJ1565 (Jenny) She has a Sticky for setup info. When you changed to 11's you increased the tension on the and likely increased the relief too. There's info in the post onhow to check and adjust this. You can usually just contact her if you have questions too.

A good setup brings out the best in a guitar (not sure about making a cheap one play like a very expensive one though) but a poor one certainly brings a good guitar down!
Moving on.....
The guitar probably had .10 or .09 strings before. Changing to .11s means you'll need to raise the action a little or yeah, you're going to get a lot of rattle.
Other than that, whenever you get any new guitar the first thing you should do is give it a proper set up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Guy, it's just turning screws - lefty loosy, righty tighty. Tip: Get an automotive feeler gauge from an auto parts store to accurately measure string action, and try not to turn the truss rod nut more than a whole turn in 24 hours, usually quarter turns are sufficient. Paying to have this done is a ripoff.
Quote by MrFlibble
The guitar probably had .10 or .09 strings before. Changing to .11s means you'll need to raise the action a little or yeah, you're going to get a lot of rattle.
Other than that, whenever you get any new guitar the first thing you should do is give it a proper set up.

listen to flibble!

raise action at your TOM. the OEM guitar string gauge on LTDs is .10(strings from factory)
becareful because the esp ec1000s have a bad history of neck warping.
Trivium Rocks!!!