The selection at Rondo Music is insane. Everything looks awesome. And insanely cheap. I want them all. And the prices are so low.

How is this possible? Is it a scam? Am I going to end up with a crappy guitar if I buy from them? Are there other places where I can get the same product for less? Are they factory errors or something? It looks like a great place to get an amazing deal on unique, cool sounding guitars, but something tells me it's too good to be true.
Agiles are great guitars for the money.

I don't personally own one, but the general consensus says they're great.
Quote by Wojiz
The selection at Rondo Music is insane. Everything looks awesome. And insanely cheap. I want them all. And the prices are so low.

How is this possible? Is it a scam? Am I going to end up with a crappy guitar if I buy from them? Are there other places where I can get the same product for less? Are they factory errors or something? It looks like a great place to get an amazing deal on unique, cool sounding guitars, but something tells me it's too good to be true.

One of the things that make them so cheap other than lower cost labor is the fact that they are not bran name guitar such as gibson will throw several hundred dollars on the price tag just cause it has there logo on it.
I got to play an agile and compare it to a gibson and honestly I couldnt hear, feel, or see any real differences other than a slightly different shape and in my opinion the Agile actually felt more comfortable to play.
with agile there is a chance that you will get a cunker, but kurt WILL refund your guitar. the customer service is amazing there.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Darkdevil725
One of the things that make them so cheap other than lower cost labor is the fact that they are not bran name guitar such as gibson will throw several hundred dollars on the price tag just cause it has there logo on it.
I got to play an agile and compare it to a gibson and honestly I couldnt hear, feel, or see any real differences other than a slightly different shape and in my opinion the Agile actually felt more comfortable to play.

Sorry but you have no idea.
It's not all labour, nor is it all the "Name " on the headstock. The wood name mahogany, maple or rosewood can be applied to many variations of the species. Some are very inexpensive and of poor quailty compared to select woods which cost more to buy, store properly and process. It's also a lot cheaper to slap on a Poly finish than nitro cellulous lacquer, use cheap plastic bindings vs the hand scraped bindings
Some of the less expensive hardware items on the Agiles can be OK, (Tuners, bridges can be Grover on some models) but unless you pay the $300 more on the 3000 for the Seymour Duncans you aren't getting great PUs either. (this is another clue about the real material quality here, a decent set of PUs on a 3000 (ie Duncans) doubles the price of the guitar for crying out loud!)

Agiles are inexpensive LP Styled guitars is all, no better than Epis (which at least copy the dimensions and body style more correctly), or other LP Copies.
As for more comforatble, no one can dispute your personal prefernce for neck profile but an LP isn't about skinny, modern necks.
Moving on.....
Another Gibson elitist who has no idea wtf he's talking about. The price difference to get Duncans into the 3000 isn't $300 dollars. For instance, the AL3000M is $600 whereas the AL3000M with Duncans is $650. That's $50 dollars, not $300. Not to mention that even getting Duncans and installing em would be $140ish, still less than half of that $300 you so bravely quoted.

And as for comparing them to Epiphones...I've never played an Epiphone under $800 that even came close to the 2 AL-3000s I've tried.

And just so you know this isn't one of those "budget guitar crusaders" posts...I have 3 guitars in the $1700+ range. So, I can easily afford a nice Gibson or anything of that sort. I'm not trying to say that an Agile will equal a $2000 Gibson, but they are OUTSTANDING guitars for the money.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by jj1565

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Lol

Anyway, beware if you're in Europe though, they don't do refunds outside of the US.
Quote by CustomAxe
Another Gibson elitist who has no idea wtf he's talking about. The price difference to get Duncans into the 3000 isn't $300 dollars. For instance, the AL3000M is $600 whereas the AL3000M with Duncans is $650. That's $50 dollars, not $300. Not to mention that even getting Duncans and installing em would be $140ish, still less than half of that $300 you so bravely quoted.

And as for comparing them to Epiphones...I've never played an Epiphone under $800 that even came close to the 2 AL-3000s I've tried.

And just so you know this isn't one of those "budget guitar crusaders" posts...I have 3 guitars in the $1700+ range. So, I can easily afford a nice Gibson or anything of that sort. I'm not trying to say that an Agile will equal a $2000 Gibson, but they are OUTSTANDING guitars for the money.

<http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000csbplain.html>
AL-3000 = $369.00 (the guitar I quote and only 69 off the mark) The 3000M has a thicker maple cap under the veneer and wood binding vs the triple plastic on the CSB - big deal. Other than that the two specs in their own website comparsion show there's little difference.

Having tried only 2 Agile guitars you're ready to swear they are OUTSTANDING?? No one with experience should make such a brash claim especially when there are web posts about Agile's quality being less than that as well.

If I'm an eltitist then you're simpy a Gibson basher who for some reason hates Gibson.
BTW I'm familiar with Carvin, they were selling their guitars to order only in the 70's (Direct buy to"save money" to the consumer by avoiding the "middle man" was their advertisement) Back then theey had a small cult following as you couldn't try their guitars out before buying which did make buyers more reluctant.
They (Carvin) also started by making their own heavily styled copies of Les Pauls which were marketed in the 70's! These models are displayed in their faciltiy as shown in a GP article a couple of years ago.
Moving on.....
Quote by Eryth

Lol

Anyway, beware if you're in Europe though, they don't do refunds outside of the US.

Once you're outside the US it's not worth the money unless you're either getting one of the more unorthodox models (fretless, ERGs) or using the custom shop anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by KenG
<http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000csbplain.html>
AL-3000 = $369.00 (the guitar I quote and only 69 off the mark) The 3000M has a thicker maple cap under the veneer and wood binding vs the triple plastic on the CSB - big deal. Other than that the two specs in their own website comparsion show there's little difference.

Having tried only 2 Agile guitars you're ready to swear they are OUTSTANDING?? No one with experience should make such a brash claim especially when there are web posts about Agile's quality being less than that as well.

If I'm an eltitist then you're simpy a Gibson basher who for some reason hates Gibson.
BTW I'm familiar with Carvin, they were selling their guitars to order only in the 70's (Direct buy to"save money" to the consumer by avoiding the "middle man" was their advertisement) Back then theey had a small cult following as you couldn't try their guitars out before buying which did make buyers more reluctant.
They (Carvin) also started by making their own heavily styled copies of Les Pauls which were marketed in the 70's! These models are displayed in their faciltiy as shown in a GP article a couple of years ago.

I've owned 4 Agiles over the years (still own one currently, my acoustic-electric), and played well over a dozen (all different models...Harm, AL-3000, AL-2000, Valkyrie, Septor, ST, etc etc). They were all excellent. As with any "budget" guitar company, there are guitars that come off the line with flaws. Rondo's customer service is unparalleled, so if you get one with a flaw of any sort you either get a nice chunk off the order or a full refund or an exchange if you want that.

And yeah, it is a big deal. You're taking two different models and saying that the Duncans add $300 to the price. Which is total and utter nonsense. That's like taking an Epiphone and a Gibson and saying that the Gibson pups add $1000 to the price. And pray tell where in my post did I bash Gibson or say I hate Gibson?

Lastly, what does Carvin have to do with anything? I didn't mention anything about Carvin.
I have an Agile 2800 baritone LP.

It isn't $1600+ guitar quality, it's $600+ guitar quality. No epiphone will beat it, but a good gibson may of course.

Shit, I guess I should have mentioned. I absolutely love this guitar. I wouldn't take anything for it. It will be with me forever... It's by far not my first guitar, but it's definately the first high quality guitar I've ever owned.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
Last edited by PimpSmurf at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by CustomAxe
I've owned 4 Agiles over the years (still own one currently, my acoustic-electric), and played well over a dozen (all different models...Harm, AL-3000, AL-2000, Valkyrie, Septor, ST, etc etc). They were all excellent. As with any "budget" guitar company, there are guitars that come off the line with flaws. Rondo's customer service is unparalleled, so if you get one with a flaw of any sort you either get a nice chunk off the order or a full refund or an exchange if you want that.

And yeah, it is a big deal. You're taking two different models and saying that the Duncans add $300 to the price. Which is total and utter nonsense. That's like taking an Epiphone and a Gibson and saying that the Gibson pups add $1000 to the price. And pray tell where in my post did I bash Gibson or say I hate Gibson?

Lastly, what does Carvin have to do with anything? I didn't mention anything about Carvin.

IF you read the original post I responded to, you'd see I responded to their opinion that the difference between the Agile and the Gibson was " the name on the headstock". I responded with reasons why the Agile is much cheaper and it 's not just the name.
Do you think the difference between one of your Carvins and an Agile clone if one exists is the name on a headtsock? If so, you should've saved your money and bought an Agile instead.
So I called wrong on the exact model of the AL but again, the difference between the 600 'M' & 369'CSB' one is some thicker "maple" under a veneer the rest of the specs are listed as the same. That kind of money will get you difference between a solid plain top and a solid Plus top on more expensive brands. So comparing a 'CSB' to an 'M' is certainly not comparing an Epi to a Gibson, it's more like a Epi to an Epi.
One minor error doesn't mean I don't know "wtf I'm talking about".

Your labelling me as a Gibson elitist indicates your apparent distaste for persons who support Gibson and by simple reasoning Gibson as well. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years now and have bought and played many guitars (Cheap & expensive) and contrary to your opinion, I do know what I'm talking about but no one is perfect.

Carvin I mentioned to simply show you that I know how good they are.
Moving on.....
An agile 3100 beats out any other new guitar under $400 IMHO.

The fact that people are arguing over weighed or not they stack up to Gibson should tell you enough. If they weren't good, no one would make the arguement.

My firm opinion is your gonna have to spend atleast 2 or three times as much to get a Gibson or epi that is constucted aswell as a 3100. I bought one for my father, and it was hands down amazing.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by KenG
IF you read the original post I responded to, you'd see I responded to their opinion that the difference between the Agile and the Gibson was " the name on the headstock". I responded with reasons why the Agile is much cheaper and it 's not just the name.
Do you think the difference between one of your Carvins and an Agile clone if one exists is the name on a headtsock? If so, you should've saved your money and bought an Agile instead.
So I called wrong on the exact model of the AL but again, the difference between the 600 'M' & 369'CSB' one is some thicker "maple" under a veneer the rest of the specs are listed as the same. That kind of money will get you difference between a solid plain top and a solid Plus top on more expensive brands. So comparing a 'CSB' to an 'M' is certainly not comparing an Epi to a Gibson, it's more like a Epi to an Epi.

Your labelling me as a Gibson elitist indicates your apparent distaste for persons who support Gibson and by simple reasoning Gibson as well. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years now and have bought and played many guitars (Cheap & expensive) and contrary to your opinion, I do know what I'm talking about but no one is perfect.

Well, my Carvin I got for a TOTAL steal, it's a $1300 dollar guitar that I got for under $400. So, I did basically get it for the price of an Agile. I personally consider Carvin a far superior company to Gibson for MANY reasons (in the models I compared...better fretwork, more attention to detail, better tuners, etc), but this thread isn't about that. And saying that the difference btwn the Agile models with the alnico pups and the Duncans is 300 bucks is not a "minor error". Not to mention that used Agiles sell regularly with upgraded pickups for about the same price as the standard one from Rondo, so anyone can pick one up for a great price. It wasn't the only mistake either, ALL Agile models come with grover tuners, not some. Even the cheapest $200 dollar AL-2000 model.

I'd also like you to show me an Epiphone that comes with an ebony fretboard with abalone or mother of pearl inlays for anywhere near the price of the Agile.
Quote by KenG

you live in canada. Kurt doesn't ship there does he?? How did you get your agile's?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Eryth

Lol

haha yesterday was 8 pages of agiles

all i did was type agile into the search.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3974455

Quote by CustomAxe

i think his post really wasn't about this.

in a nutshell, it seemed to me he was countering the comment about gibsons being equal to Agiles, something about the name being the only difference.

so you kind of jumped ahead there.

also, imo it's important to point out that Agile starter guitars, are just that.

and that epi makes a good guitar too.

there are some really excellent epi's out there, and they have their advantages.

they are easier to try out and find used. in addition, they seem to hold their value much better.

i think for the most part, it's definitely a case by case thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 4, 2010,
Whatever he said doesnt change the fact that he gave incorrect information about Agiles, which might affect someone's buying decisions.
Quote by CustomAxe
Whatever he said doesnt change the fact that he gave incorrect information about Agiles, which might affect someone's buying decisions.

your big problem was the $300 price bump for duncans thing?

is it possible you two are talking about a different model or something?

anyway, i doubt posting an incorrect price would dissuade me from buying a guitar i liked. especially if i had the prices in front of me on the website.

a lot of this comes down to preference.

but agile vs epi threads have been around here, longer than i care to admit i've been on EG.

and i find it a little silly in general for guys to blindly compare agile to most gibson models.
but again that's just my opinion.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Agile's are not starter guitars. I father loves his, and's been playing guitar since the 60's. Own original 70's strat(don't remeber the year off the top of my head), harmony rocket, original '62 telecaster.

He loves his agile.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Agile's are not starter guitars. I father loves his, and's been playing guitar since the 60's. Own original 70's strat(don't remeber the year off the top of my head), harmony rocket, original '62 telecaster.

He loves his agile.

Quote by me
also, imo it's important to point out that Agile starter guitars, are just that.

maybe you misunderstood.

what i meant by this was, that a lot of guys spend a few hundred on an agile.
the 2000-2800 and so on.

they expect these guitars to be on par with high end modeled guitars.

in reality, they are equivalent to starter -intermediate level guitars out on selling floors all over the state.

agile guitars are good for the money. but don't expect a starter guitar to be anything than that, even with a pickup swap.

it's important that the buyer be realistic.

everyone knows about agile. if they had gig guitars at basement prices, we'd all own one.

no i don't have one, but i try them when guitar shopping.
which turns out is all the time. as i live in ny and have easy access to different agile models.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'll take a Gibson over an Agile in a heartbeat, and an Epiphone over an Agile easily.

Atleast I can try those out without having to buy them from an online store, spending about $50 or more on shipping and waiting a week for it to get here, and if I don't like it I'd have to send it back and wait another week for it to go through and whatnot.

Basically, it depends. Are you willing to bite the bullet and buy a guitar you've never played before?
It's silly to call Agiles starter guitars. SX, now THOSE are starter guitars that with a good deal of modding could be made into a pretty good instrument.

Name another set neck guitar with an ebony fretboard, abalone inlays, and grover tuners selling brand new for less than $400. It's by far the best features/quality for the price that you can get. That's why they sell so many of them and why they continue to be discussed in thread after thread after thread. How many threads do you see about Ibanez's $350 dollar offerings? Or Jacksons?

The point is this: I've A/B'd an Agile AL-3000 root beer flame with the highest end Epiphone, and the Agile came out on top. Better sounding pups, better fretwork, etc. And it's almost 1/3rd the price. I've also played a few of my friends' and bandmates' Gibsons. I liked the Agile better than all of them except one, and the one Gibson I prefered was $2200. It's very possible that the Agile I got was a particularly great one from the batch of thousands that I'm sure they produce, but the test stands.

I would never call the AGile some kind of amazing instrument, because I own multiple custom handmade guitars and they are absolutely untouchable to me. But for under $400, no other company offers the features, customer service, or quality that Agile does in my experience.
Quote by jj1565
maybe you misunderstood.

what i meant by this was, that a lot of guys spend a few hundred on an agile.
the 2000-2800 and so on.

they expect these guitars to be on par with high end modeled guitars.

in reality, they are equivalent to starter -intermediate level guitars out on selling floors all over the state.

agile guitars are good for the money. but don't expect a starter guitar to be anything than that, even with a pickup swap.

it's important that the buyer be realistic.

everyone knows about agile. if they had gig guitars at basement prices, we'd all own one.

no i don't have one, but i try them when guitar shopping.
which turns out is all the time. as i live in ny and have easy access to different agile models.

I guess my definition of a starter guitar is different. Not everyone plays guitar to gig, or try to "make it" as a musician. Many play for thier own enjoyment. That's where I fit, purely for fun as a hobby. I literally bought an agile one hour ago. A interceptor pro 727. I bought it purely for trying out a 7 string, to see if I'm interested.

Most of my guitars aren't $5000 pieces of equiptment. In fact, you could prolly buy everything I own new for $5000 total. That, in no way, reflects on my ability to play guitar.

As such, the price and qaulity of the guitar shouldn't label it as "starter"

a custom shop +3000$ guitar can be a starter guitar, if your new to playin.

I really enjoy the instruments. I think the label of "starter" or "like a gibson" is unfair. They are good intruments at any price, in my opinion
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Okay, I seem to be the first person in here who owns both an Agile & a Gibson. I hope this makes my opinion a little more valid then all the e-peen above.

First though:

Atleast I can try those out without having to buy them from an online store, spending about $50 or more on shipping and waiting a week for it to get here, and if I don't like it I'd have to send it back and wait another week for it to go through and whatnot.

Research is your friend. Agile Guitars ship for 16.00 to 25.00 from Rondo. Where you are getting 50.00 from is literally out in left field. No, literally.

Second.

Agile is a great beginner/gig/jam guitar for the price. It can be one of them all. It doesn't matter, this is not a high end guitar of drool status and sure does not compare to them either. They sound awesome compared to guitars in their price range and I would say they are ON PAR with Epi's which can cost 100.00 to 200.00 more than the Agile. This is what makes them great buys.

Compared to my Gibson LP, even if it is "just a Studio," is night and day. I promise you, you would have to be dead not to notice the difference in sound quality, even going up against the Agile higher model. I live in Rhode Island, I am less than 2 hours away from where these guitars are made, I have seen and touched 100s of them. This guitar will not, ever beat a Gibson, ever. Period.

That said, I love my Agile. It sounds good to everyone, great to those who have no idea about guitars. I can bring it anywhere and I won't be crushed if it breaks or gets damaged. This is the benefit of the guitar.

Now, I would recommend this guitar as a starter guitar over almost every other similar priced guitar out there. However, if you are buying this because you want an LP, with an LP sound, don't be disappointed when it is a little lacking. If you want a genuine LP sound to die for, pony up.

As for the Gibson bashing from people. This is to be expected, some people think it is cool to bash a popular brand or model, they believe it gives them connoisseur status. It doesn't. It just means they either have different styles or secretly covet the Gibson LP and don't want the world to know. Gibson makes a great guitar. More recognized professional, aka better than you, players use this guitar than many others. If you don't like it fine, whatever, but when it becomes your $2,499.00 to spend, that's the only time your opinion matters.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Well that's the thing, it's been my $2500 to spend about 4 times now lol, and I've gone custom shop and never come back. Every Gibson guitar I've ever played (this would be about 14 or so) has had subpar fretwork (compared to my Carvin and my customs). Sharp and low/high frets on several 2000 dollar guitars is a dealbreaker for me. I have nothing against major companies. I've had a few Fenders and Ibanezes and Jacksons that I've loved over the years. I can most certainly afford a Gibson, but the fact is my custom handmade guitars offer much more for me.

Professionals are usually paid to use what they use, or get free guitars. Therefore, the biggest guitar companies have the most people endorsing them (Fender, Gibson, etc).
Quote by SpawnedX
Okay, I seem to be the first person in here who owns both an Agile & a Gibson. I hope this makes my opinion a little more valid then all the e-peen above.

First though:

Research is your friend. Agile Guitars ship for 16.00 to 25.00 from Rondo. Where you are getting 50.00 from is literally out in left field. No, literally.

Second.

Agile is a great beginner/gig/jam guitar for the price. It can be one of them all. It doesn't matter, this is not a high end guitar of drool status and sure does not compare to them either. They sound awesome compared to guitars in their price range and I would say they are ON PAR with Epi's which can cost 100.00 to 200.00 more than the Agile. This is what makes them great buys.

Compared to my Gibson LP, even if it is "just a Studio," is night and day. I promise you, you would have to be dead not to notice the difference in sound quality, even going up against the Agile higher model. I live in Rhode Island, I am less than 2 hours away from where these guitars are made, I have seen and touched 100s of them. This guitar will not, ever beat a Gibson, ever. Period.

That said, I love my Agile. It sounds good to everyone, great to those who have no idea about guitars. I can bring it anywhere and I won't be crushed if it breaks or gets damaged. This is the benefit of the guitar.

Now, I would recommend this guitar as a starter guitar over almost every other similar priced guitar out there. However, if you are buying this because you want an LP, with an LP sound, don't be disappointed when it is a little lacking. If you want a genuine LP sound to die for, pony up.

As for the Gibson bashing from people. This is to be expected, some people think it is cool to bash a popular brand or model, they believe it gives them connoisseur status. It doesn't. It just means they either have different styles or secretly covet the Gibson LP and don't want the world to know. Gibson makes a great guitar. More recognized professional, aka better than you, players use this guitar than many others. If you don't like it fine, whatever, but when it becomes your $2,499.00 to spend, that's the only time your opinion matters.

thanks you. this was all i was trying to say.

AND i might add in the nicest way possible.

i'm sorry Gundamnitpete and custom, if you dislike the label, and you're entitled to your opinion, but agile does make some guitars in the starter category.

so does epi, so does squier.

my only issue with agile, is when guys get their entry level guitars and misrepresent
them as comparable to pro gear.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
haha yesterday was 8 pages of agiles

all i did was type agile into the search.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3974455

i think his post really wasn't about this.

in a nutshell, it seemed to me he was countering the comment about gibsons being equal to Agiles, something about the name being the only difference.

so you kind of jumped ahead there.

and that epi makes a good guitar too.

there are some really excellent epi's out there, and they have their advantages.

they are easier to try out and find used. in addition, they seem to hold their value much better.

i think for the most part, it's definitely a case by case thing.
And today, it's https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3977872.

All correct!

TBH, I wouldn't mistake my AL3100M for or comparable to any of my old man's Gibson LPs. The Agiles have a huge Bang for the $$$ and have the same quality as most MIK guitars. Heck, I love the MIC and inexpensive Squier Classic Vibe Teles.

The cool thing about the Agiles is that you wouldn't mind taking them to shows/gigs, setting them down, and leaving them on a stand while in public.

Heck, I'm close to buying one of their 7s based on rep alone.

Quote by CustomAxe
Well that's the thing, it's been my $2500 to spend about 4 times now lol, and I've gone custom shop and never come back. Every Gibson guitar I've ever played (this would be about 14 or so) has had subpar fretwork (compared to my Carvin and my customs). Sharp and low/high frets on several 2000 dollar guitars is a dealbreaker for me. I have nothing against major companies. I've had a few Fenders and Ibanezes and Jacksons that I've loved over the years. I can most certainly afford a Gibson, but the fact is my custom handmade guitars offer much more for me.

Professionals are usually paid to use what they use, or get free guitars. Therefore, the biggest guitar companies have the most people endorsing them (Fender, Gibson, etc).

If you like Carvin better than Gibson that's your preference and no one can tell you you're wrong in that. I'm sorry that you've had some bad experiences with some Gibsons and that soured you on them. I'll be the first to admit that the standard setup out of the factory isn't to my taste but most models now have their fretwork done on the german made plek machine. A CNC machine with accuracy to within 0.001" which does an excellent job from what I've seen lately.

But I don't buy your line that the only reason guitar players use Gibsons or Fenders is because they were given them for free. Most famous players started out using their guitars before they became famous. Many step up to the big ones when they make enough money to finally afford to buy one.
When these famous guitarists all drop their Gibsons in favour of the cheaper copies, I'll consider it.
Moving on.....
Well that's the thing, you always kinda twist what I say to make it sound wrong. I didn't say it was the ONLY reason. Of course it isnt the only reason. But it is a major factor. It's really all about establishing a reputation. Gibson has this reputation as the professionals choice for years and years, and that certainly speaks certain volumes bout the quality of the product, but you cant discount the fact that those professionals are for the most part paid to use their products. Which is of course advertising, which then builds on that reputation. Most of my favorite companies don't give out free gear, because their products are of such a quality that they just don't need to give it to Slash and go "here, show it off". Mesa comes to mind.
some of the wood used on gibsons cost 2-3X what the entire agile guitar costs. stuff like that.

however, teh question is if you want an agile A - you obviously cant pay for such quality, and B - do you really care about that wood? yeah its better. but money is money. got bills to pay and stuff...

and yeah they are cheap guitars. duh. how can we argue this. however, if you play well, and you have a QUALITY AMP...sure you can gig with it if it holds up well. people overlook amps way too much. i would rather have 2-3 nice amps of different sizes than 2-3 nice guitars if your playing live.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by ikey_
however, teh question is if you want an agile A - you obviously cant pay for such quality, and B - do you really care about that wood?

Or you want a good value dependable 8 string... or a good value fretless guitar... or you want a 7 string but don't like Ibanez or Schecter that much... or you want something from their custom shop.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've never played an Agile, but SX makes good guitars. I just got an SX SJM62 from them, and everything is great except for it weighing 13 lbs. I've heard that the QC is a little bad, and that there have been quite a few lemons that get out. I would get one, and try it. If you don't like it Kurt is supposedly really helpful, and he'll exchange it for another of the same model, or he'll give you a refund.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
My rundown of Agile.

Their AL-XXXX series are great guitars for the money. I own an AL3100, I love it. Just sold all my other guitars since I'm just a solo hobbyist, don't need a backup. This is the only guitar I still play, and I just got rid of two ibanez's, a dean, a bc rich, and my pride and joy: a crimson swirl Jackson RR3. Still preferred the agile. It's a smooth comfortable guitar with decent well balanced pickups.

SX, I don't have any personal experience with but I've heard some horror stories. Doesn't matter how cheap it is and modifiable it is when the neck snaps on you because it's made of ultra-cheap wood. I'm not willing to risk that much for a mediocre guitar because it's cheap.

Rondo's got great customer service and works specifically with you. You have a problem, he'll fix it, not re-direct you to india. I wouldn't pit an Agile against an Ibanez Prestige or Gibby custom shop, but at the price, I'd expect a middle-class guitar. For only $400, I preferred it over a gibby LP standard, which runs easily twice that. Plus the finish is gorgeous.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I got my AL-2000 for the following reasons:

1) I wanted a Gibson scale guitar.

2) The Epi's didn't feel alright

3) My Agile has the floyd rose copy

4) Neck access, yes, because the floyd AL-2000's got the cutout on the back of the neck for easier access

Is the finish cheapo compared to other guitars ? On my model maybe so, because it's a pure white guitar, but I like it that way.

Are the pickups bad ? No, they're actually quite good, although they're ceramic ones.

Does it sound good ? Yes, although hard to compare between my two guitars since the Warlock got upgrades.
Guitars: Agile AL-2000 FR / B.C. Rich Warlock
Amps: Vox Lil Night Train / Vox AC4TV8 / Dean Markley K-150
Rack: ADA MP-1 / ADA MP-2 / Quadraverb / Rocktron Hush (definitely need a power amp)
Some pedals, some other stuff