Haha, sorry about the horrible joke in the title. Anyways, I've always been under a rock when it comes to envelope filters, but I keep reading about a few artists I like using them, so can somehow help explain exactly what they are and do, and applicable places for using or needing one?
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Here's my explanation on envelope filters:

An envelope filter works by taking the signal into a buffer/booster, which is controlled by the sensitivity knob. This adapts the signal to be used in the pedal. The signal is split and then sent through to a filter and an envelope follower. The envelope follower takes one signal and makes it unipolar, proportionate to the signal's amplitude. The filter affects the cut off frequency of the filter, based on the strength of the output.

In other words, it makes a quack, a dwoop or a bwap, depending on the type of filter (low pass, high pass) and how hard you play.
^Or, alternatively, think of them as a wah without the manual control. Which is why they're often colloquially called an 'auto-wah'.
The trick is to use them for rhythmic playing. They're very handy for funk, in the Bootsy Collins idiom, where you'd set the threshold (or 'attack', or 'sensitivity', as it's sometimes labelled) so that when you play a note, the circuit triggers the filter sweep. Set the decay or release control low, if you're playing quick or short notes; set it higher for longer/slower notes.
Simple as that.
I use a DOD FX 25, myself. It's great fun to play to the threshold, and use the guitar/bass volume control to modify its' behaviour slightly. If you want a cheap unit to start with, look for an FX 25B on fleabay - it has a blend control, which is a definite improvement!

EDIT: Ben, was that not just a little Fitz-esque, that explanation?
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Jun 4, 2010,
Ben next time include pictures, that was a bit full on.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
So, is an "Auto-Wah" pedal, such as the BOSS AW-3 an Envelope Pedal then? I never really knew the difference between synth and envelope, so Ive just been saying that I use it as a synth...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI