Before I show you the pics I just wanted to let you know that I read through the "Ultimate Setup" thread and couldn't exactly piece together what the OP was saying.

Anyways, trying to get my new Seymour Duncans at the proper height for a LP style guitar. Any help would be appreciated. I posted pics to demonstrate.

Thanks for the help!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by AcousticMirror
pickups should be where they sound the best.

Right... I just wasn't sure if there was a "standard" recommended height.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by AcousticMirror

Nailed it.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

There is a recommended height for humbuckers that many use as a reference or starting point (3/32 " Rhythm & 1/16 Treble - measured for the Pole piece not PU body to the bottom of the string). It's not too close to interfere with string vibartion or too far to reduce sensitivity. However, your tool is a poor one there. For a couple of dollars you can get a 6 INCH steel ruler with 64ths on it. This will be used for PU Height and string height checks as well as other dimensions you may want to check on your guitar (ie hardware).
Moving on.....
Quote by AcousticMirror

this for a couple reasons.

not everyone has the same pick attack. so the strings vibrate at different amounts for different people. I know there is a nice guide that KenG listed, and many agree with those measurements. i know my lead guitarist does.

i don't though after setting up numerous guitars with vastly different amps for different players.

you want the pole pieces such that when you strike the string, each pole piece is picking up only one string. i find i like the tone best when it's set this way. which can be a different height for each player as they all strike differently. too low is never good, as too high is never good. basically if you strike hard you will want them lower than if you are a lighter picking player. the lighter you pick, likely the higher you would want the poles set.

so i do this by ear after talking with the user. i've never had a complaint and i have had numerous people say that their guitar never sounded this good.

jorge taught me that one. he's d'man.
Thanks gregs and KenG,

I just get a little annoyed with people on here about stuff like that. Was my first pup swap and setup. If I walked into a shop and the luthier said, "pickups should be where they sound the best", I would probably walk out mainly for the fact that I'm not educated enough to know whether being too low or too high is healthy for the guitar or not.

Do you have a recommendation as to how I should play through my amp as I adjust it?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE