I've been looking for a good metal guitar, and have stumbled upon this jackson custom dinky.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JACKSON-DK2-FUSION-S-S-CUSTOM-SWIRL-ONE-OF-A-KIND-AXE_W0QQitemZ250641889553QQcategoryZ33044QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8062264533061158188

i'd just like to get a few opinions on whether this guitar is any good and if it is any good for someone who is new to playing metal.
for someone brand new to guitar, i probably wouldnt recommend a floyd rose, thats my opinion though. (first guitar i bought had an FR and i ended up taking it back)

id recommend maybe a Scheter C-1, or an ibanez
Quote by LiquidFear
for someone brand new to guitar, i probably wouldnt recommend a floyd rose, thats my opinion though. (first guitar i bought had an FR and i ended up taking it back)

id recommend maybe a Scheter C-1, or an ibanez

sorry for confusion, but i have been playing for 2 years now. I have only just begun playing metal, and the c-1 is sadly out of my price range. Thanks for the reply though.
Honestly dude, I don't know what the conversion rate is from pounds to US dollars so I don't know how much is so I can't help ya there. Buuuut, I can tell you I wouldn't pay too much extra just cause of the custom paint job. There's a video up on YouTube of this guy doing the same kind of paint job and it looks waaay easy. I think it's called custom gem painting or something like that. So if you do get this specific guitar I wouldn't do the buy now price just so you guarentee yourself a "cool looking" guitar. I'd check to see how much the regular version of it is and then gauge whatever else was done to the guitar, such as, if he added new pickups, or anything else like that. There's a site I think you should check out that has blown me away since the day I found it, almost two years ago. It's called rondomusic.com and the quality of their guitars is amazing yet the price is low because they don't mark it up like name brands do. I may no be an expert on every guitar they have on that site, but check it out man, I think your mind will be blown!!
Quote by AgileWildAbeast
Honestly dude, I don't know what the conversion rate is from pounds to US dollars so I don't know how much is so I can't help ya there. Buuuut, I can tell you I wouldn't pay too much extra just cause of the custom paint job. There's a video up on YouTube of this guy doing the same kind of paint job and it looks waaay easy. I think it's called custom gem painting or something like that. So if you do get this specific guitar I wouldn't do the buy now price just so you guarentee yourself a "cool looking" guitar. I'd check to see how much the regular version of it is and then gauge whatever else was done to the guitar, such as, if he added new pickups, or anything else like that. There's a site I think you should check out that has blown me away since the day I found it, almost two years ago. It's called rondomusic.com and the quality of their guitars is amazing yet the price is low because they don't mark it up like name brands do. I may no be an expert on every guitar they have on that site, but check it out man, I think your mind will be blown!!

yeah i wasn't contemplating the buy now price, i would've bid for it. And um he has replaced the standard jackson pickups with seymour duncan pickups. And thanks for the help
Looks pretty cool, has a Duncan JB which is a good pickup for all styles including Metal. That's about it though. The floyd rose could be confusing and annoying. It's a pain in the ass to change strings and tunings with so it's probably not great for a beginner. With metal there are many songs that are in alternate tunings like drop-d, standard, standard down 1 step, or 1/2 a step so you would be constantly tuning and changing spring tension. For the "buy it now" price, you could get a good fixed bridge Schecter or Jackson. For metal you might want to look at guitars with "active" pickups like EMG's which many schecters and a few jacksons have.

EDIT: sorry didn't see above reply ^^ about you playing for 2 years. If you're up to it, the floyd is useful and it is used by lot's of people in metal. Checked the conversion rate and you should definitely go for the bid, the buy it now seems like kind of a rip. I dunno how much more things cost in the UK than in the US but in the US, the most expensive version of that guitar brand new is about 50 pounds more than the "buy it now price".
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by GibsonMan321
Looks pretty cool, has a Duncan JB which is a good pickup for all styles including Metal. That's about it though. The floyd rose could be confusing and annoying. It's a pain in the ass to change strings and tunings with so it's probably not great for a beginner. With metal there are many songs that are in alternate tunings like drop-d, standard, standard down 1 step, or 1/2 a step so you would be constantly tuning and changing spring tension. For the "buy it now" price, you could get a good fixed bridge Schecter or Jackson. For metal you might want to look at guitars with "active" pickups like EMG's which many schecters and a few jacksons have.

EDIT: sorry didn't see above reply ^^ about you playing for 2 years. If you're up to it, the floyd is useful and it is used by lot's of people in metal. Checked the conversion rate and you should definitely go for the bid, the buy it now seems like kind of a rip. I dunno how much more things cost in the UK than in the US but in the US, the most expensive version of that guitar brand new is about 50 pounds more than the "buy it now price".

yeah a standard dinky is ussualy around half the price of the buy now price listed on this guitar, but you're right buy now price is a bit exessive. Many thanks
Avoid licensed tremolos. Until you know that it's good.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Worth checking out the Cort range http://www.richardsguitars.co.uk/acatalog/Cort_Electric_Guitars.html especially the EVL, KX and X ranges.
Or try www.tcellisguitars.com in the guitars for sale page. Tim puts some nice axes out for around £300 so you could upgrade pups if you don't like the stock ones (usually Wilkinson overwound 13k). Actives are great for metal but not through a modeling amp. If that's what you have, passives are better. Something like Irongear Steamhammers.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Worth checking out the Cort range http://www.richardsguitars.co.uk/acatalog/Cort_Electric_Guitars.html especially the EVL, KX and X ranges.
Or try www.tcellisguitars.com in the guitars for sale page. Tim puts some nice axes out for around £300 so you could upgrade pups if you don't like the stock ones (usually Wilkinson overwound 13k). Actives are great for metal but not through a modeling amp. If that's what you have, passives are better. Something like Irongear Steamhammers.

thanks for the help, i'll have a look at some of these.
The best advise is to go shopping for a guitar. Shopping means get dressed and actually leave the house for a brick and mortar store. Try everything you can put your paws on. Do not buy into the internut BS you need guitar XYZ to play metal. Anything will work. Even a hollow body but,those have an attitude all their own when it comes to high gain. Buying a guitar over the internut is a crap shoot at best.Most of the whining you read about gear on the net is from people that really had no clue what they were buying in the first place.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
The best advise is to go shopping for a guitar. Shopping means get dressed and actually leave the house for a brick and mortar store. Try everything you can put your paws on. Do not buy into the internut BS you need guitar XYZ to play metal. Anything will work. Even a hollow body but,those have an attitude all their own when it comes to high gain. Buying a guitar over the internut is a crap shoot at best.Most of the whining you read about gear on the net is from people that really had no clue what they were buying in the first place.

yeah... too bad THIS particular dk2 is not available in stores..........