I am considering to get my first electric guitar and an amp. I like musics by bands like The Killers, The Bravery, New Found Glory, Radiohead, etc. But I don't know what genre are these bands considered as. Many of the threads I read have many info on metal musics but I don't think these bands are anything close to metal, are they?

So with those bands and their musics as a reference, what kind of amp with what kind of effects should I be looking at? And for the guitar, what kind of wood material and guitar body(les Paul, strato, etc) would be good for such muiscs. Lastly, for these musics, are the bridge pickups better with humbuckers or single coils?** *
Humbuckers would be best I guess.

Is this going to be your first guitar?

And what is your budget?

Edit :

I play stuff like Sum 41, Green Day, Blink, Metallica, Zebrahead

And my current rig is a

Line 6 Spider IV 150 watt (Overkill for a bedroom, I know but I got it for free lols)
Gibson SG Special ((L))

and it fits such music great. Maybe you should look into those.

Protip : You don't need a "special" guitar to play a certain genre, a guitar plays what you want.

But you should deffinately get a humbucker.
Last edited by cheesefrog at Jun 4, 2010,
I'd personally avoid Line 6 Spiders NOT because everyone says it, but because:
1) I owned one, and it was shit.
2) A few friends have owned them and they were still shit, and kept breaking.
Peavy Vypyr or a Roland Cube would do you just fine, or if you have a bit of money to invest, a second hand valve combo amp. Most of those bands have big emphasis on really nice clean tones, so a valve amp/real nice solid state amp would be great. I'd probably lean towards the Roland because they have fantastic cleans and a very decent distortion for a solid state combo.

Guitar wise go with whatever you like, but I'd definitely recommend trying out guitars with both humbuckers and single coils, just so you can tell the tonal differences and pros and cons or each pickup, because they're both very different.
Member of the Laney Cult
The killers are a pop rock band if I'm not mistaking, so a mahogany Les Paul shaped guitar would fit the stereotype very well:p As far as amps go... You need something versatile so I'd sugest a cheap roland cube of some sorts to start of with
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Quote by vEr5eX
I am considering to get my first electric guitar and an amp. I like musics by bands like The Killers, The Bravery, New Found Glory, Radiohead, etc. But I don't know what genre are these bands considered as. Many of the threads I read have many info on metal musics but I don't think these bands are anything close to metal, are they?

So with those bands and their musics as a reference, what kind of amp with what kind of effects should I be looking at? And for the guitar, what kind of wood material and guitar body(les Paul, strato, etc) would be good for such muiscs. Lastly, for these musics, are the bridge pickups better with humbuckers or single coils?** *

Maybe you should just inspect what kind of gear are these alternative rock bands using. Google is your friend.
Quote by Jyrgen
Maybe you should just inspect what kind of gear are these alternative rock bands using. Google is your friend.

Not a bad idea, except musicians as famous as those guys would have some pretty excessively awesome gear. Not to mention excessively expensive.
Member of the Laney Cult
les paul with its P90 s or a tele with humbucker on the bridge would be just perfect. i play brit too.. my rig is a tele with dual humbucker. get a decent overdrive and you'll be blessed.
Quote by JaykeSucks
I'd personally avoid Line 6 Spiders NOT because everyone says it, but because:
1) I owned one, and it was shit.
2) A few friends have owned them and they were still shit, and kept breaking.
Peavy Vypyr or a Roland Cube would do you just fine, or if you have a bit of money to invest, a second hand valve combo amp. Most of those bands have big emphasis on really nice clean tones, so a valve amp/real nice solid state amp would be great. I'd probably lean towards the Roland because they have fantastic cleans and a very decent distortion for a solid state combo.

Guitar wise go with whatever you like, but I'd definitely recommend trying out guitars with both humbuckers and single coils, just so you can tell the tonal differences and pros and cons or each pickup, because they're both very different.

lol no u sukz

But seriously, I've read people complain about all of it and it's a great amp imo. I have it for almost 6 months now, never broke down or anything. I do have problems with the volume though. You need to get it just right. If its too loud it'll melt your face off, if its too slow your guitar will sound crappy. But besides that its awesome, and it has tons of pre-made settings which will really help you with nailing down a tone used in a song.

Agree'd on the guitar-part though. You should deffinately check alot out, maybe look for a ibanez? It has both humbuckers and single coil and it has really good quality for the lowerpriced guitars. Unlike Gibson
For the amp, are there any specific type of effects like Chorus, Reverb, etc that these bands(The Killers, Bravery, New Found Glory), the amp need to have to have that sound? So when I look for the amp, I could make sure that the amp has what effects at least.
The only thing said in here I would suggest, atleast not to do, is not to get any kind of Line 6 Spider.
Hmm.. Effects.. You would offcourse need distortion/overdrive. Reverb is fun to play with. But most amps have reverb. The line 6 spiders have a shitload of onboard effects, like autowah, phasers etc. There's a shitload of stuff. And here I am promoting them again

But really, just play one and think about all the effects !
Last edited by cheesefrog at Jun 5, 2010,
i would recommend a Fender deluxe 85 red knob, they can be quite cheap when bought second hand, this is what radio head uses. I would also recommend come type of Fender Telecaster.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I'd get a Fat Strat. Its like a regular Stratocaster, but with a humbucker in the bridge position. Covers a lot of sounds. I dont know your budget though, or overlooked it (if i did, my bad).
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I would definatly get a Fat Strat. Steve from New Found Glory use to play a Strat with a single EMG bucker in the bridge. Now he's just playing modded Jazzmaster's with the single EMG humbucker.

Amp wise I would recomend the Roland Cube. I've never had a bad experiance with them and it would have pretty much all the effects you'd need right onboard.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.