ok i'm forming this thread out of spite for my father who thinks page is the best ever. i think he's full of shit but i wouldn't mind getting some other opinions. keep in my i love page and zep and the firm but i think we can do better. not based on speed or ability but feel and emotion in the instrument. this is why i give my vote to dave gilmour of pink floyd. what are your thoughts pit monkeys?

Page is a great guitarist and he deserves credit for what he did for rock, but he's not very high on the "best" guitarists list, technical ability speaking.

Although, in regards to influence, he's up near the top.

Explain that to your dad. There's a difference between being the most influential, and being the best.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Page is a great guitarist and he deserves credit for what he did for rock, but he's not very high on the "best" guitarists list, technical ability speaking.

Explain that to your dad. There's a difference between being the most influential, and being the best.

i've said that to him but he's got his head so far up zeps ass he thinks bonham is better than keith moon and buddy rich combined. he's one stubborn sumbitch
Yea, Page was great at song writing, but he was rather sloppy live due to his drunkeness. So while he was a damn infuential guy, and wrote some of the most memorable songs of the time, there are many other techinally more skilled then him.
Quote by rip3149
i've said that to him but he's got his head so far up zeps ass he thinks bonham is better than keith moon and buddy rich combined. he's one stubborn sumbitch

Who cares, man. you shouldn't.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Eh, TS said he was only talking about feel and emotion, not speed and ability.

And this is a stupid thread, so what if your Dad's favourite is Page? Its totally subjective anyways.
It's pretty simple really, The only guitarist in Led Zeppelin was Page, and thus he is the best guitarist ever.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Someone being the best at something is always going to be a subject that causes debate. I do however think Page is a great guitarist, just listen to the solo in Black Dog. It shouldn't work but somehow it just fits with the song so well.
Quote by rip3149
ok i'm forming this thread out of spite for my father who thinks page is the best ever. i think he's full of shit but i wouldn't mind getting some other opinions. keep in my i love page and zep and the firm but i think we can do better. not based on speed or ability but feel and emotion in the instrument. this is why i give my vote to dave gilmour of pink floyd. what are your thoughts pit monkeys?

I think you may be taking this a wee bit seriously.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Alex Lifeson is a better guitarist than Page...

<.<
>.>

Please go away.
Meh, these threads are annoying because all subjective - Someone might think that Kurt Cobain is the 'best' guitarist, because they have a different opinion to what that phrase means.

I believe that Page is up there, he is probably my favourite living guitarist, and if I met him, I'd probably do the cliched teen girl faint and scream!

However, I'd probably say the best guitarist ever is Jimi Hendrix, for all round influence and awesomeness, I'm not looking for an argument, just from the type of music I like he is probably the best. There are probably numerous metal guitarists that are faster than him and all that shizz, but I do believe he is the best.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

It's pretty Biased now.
People would say Clapton is God, David Gilmour's Comfortably numb is fantastic.
Jimmy's stairway to heaven is one of the most famous songs made.
Slash has his all-famous guns and roses.
these guys are very famous and influential but...
There's plenty of guitarists out there that aren't world famous, and make solos that are fantastic.

TBH my favourite guitarist is Paul Gilbert.
If there was a guitarist I'd aspire to be, it's himself.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by the_hoodster
Someone being the best at something is always going to be a subject that causes debate. I do however think Page is a great guitarist, just listen to the solo in Black Dog. It shouldn't work but somehow it just fits with the song so well.

This! Numerous times in that song it appears as though it's about to lose timing and then BAM he brings it back and it sounds awesome!

sorry for double post
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by jaybals
Page might be good, but there are all sorts of guitarists better than him. But its all opinion really.
I guess my vote would have to go to SRV, but i also love BB King

Really? SRV over the King of Blues? You are right its a matter of opinion I would take both BB and Eric Clapton over SRV
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
Lil Wayne

edit: Thems was jokes.

Derp.

editedit:

Quote by rip3149
we're talking about a guy that says he's gonna "pick up the world and drop it on your f***in' head"

Oh, you know the lyrics! I didn't realize you were a fan.

The spot gets smaller/As I get bigga/Tryin'a get in where I fit in/No room fo' a nigga

Take it away, rip!
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jun 4, 2010,
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Lil Wayne

to each his own if you prefer someone who boasts that he doesn't play with a pick lol.

you know it's pretty sad that more youth today know lil wayne than zep or floyd or cream? i shutter at the thought of where popular music will be in 10 years when the lil wayne fanatics are making records. we're talking about a guy that says he's gonna "pick up the world and drop it on your f***in' head"
Last edited by rip3149 at Jun 4, 2010,
I know one

He's an indian guy called Growdahellup

Seriously TS, learn to agree to disagree with your Dad
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by whitenihilist
Yea, Page was great at song writing, but he was rather sloppy live due to his drunkeness. So while he was a damn infuential guy, and wrote some of the most memorable songs of the time, there are many other techinally more skilled then him.

was he really?

or was he just good at being 'inspired' by other musicians.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I dislike Page
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
He was great. Not a technician, but he did what he did really well, and influenced miilions.
Saying that, I think there were better players at the time (Jeff Beck etc).
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

There's really no way to compare guitarists to each other since many play completely different styles.

Why bother with who's the best guitarist anyway? It's a matter of personal taste and preferences.
Personally, I like James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett, some may agree or disagree - I don't care that much.

Jimmy Page is a good musician though, I'm not saying otherwise even if I rather listen to Metallica.
Quote by fudger
most jazz guitarist are better than most standard rock guitarist.

i.e. Al Di Meola - Race With The Devil on a Spanish Highway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atz9vzTAUh0

but taste is different. its all about what you for in a good guitarist. you may need to learn to live with it.

Thats probably true, I play rock guitar but its fair to say most jazz guitarists are better than most rock guitarists
I ****ing hate Jimmy Page and think he is the most overhyped, thieving sloppy bastard in music.

But hey, that's my opinion
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
This is a horrible thread, and should probably be in a different forum, so I am going to report it.

*reported*
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door