Hi

on my £22 strat copy, the mains jack input socket is loose when the cable is plugged in. This is due to the metal fitting inside getting slightly bent out of position when the input cable is plugged in & pushes against the fitting.

A loose rattling cable then leads to loud unwanted noises on my amp that could damage the amp.

I have taken the cover off, & bent the piece of metal that connects to & holds the lead securely firm, but over a few cycles of plugging in & unplugging the cable, this slowly loosens the connection again by bending the metal on the socket out of place ever so slighlty - enough to make it a loose contact.

You can buy replacements on ebay for like £2. Like this one -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Jack-socket-1-4-inch-mono-guitar-output-Tele-Strat-/250572925175?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a574f68f7

But im just wondering is this a common problem on electrics (strat style especially)?

My other 2 strat style guitars have had no such issues. Perhaps on the one in question it is a particularly weak metal on the jack socket.

Cheers.
Last edited by madeinchina1 at Jun 4, 2010,
It shouldn't be like you described. It's not a common problem with decent output jacks, so get it swapped.
Quote by Pikka Bird
It shouldn't be like you described. It's not a common problem with decent output jacks, so get it swapped.

Yes i will thanks.

its the actual design of the jack that lends itself to failing/becoming a loose connection in this way. As all it is is a strip of metal that the input leads head pushes against & clicks over/on the side of. But this strip of metal is only connected on one side, & so can easily get bent to one side (away from the force of the lead pushing against it) resulting in a loose connection with the lead. I was surprised how poor a design it is really when i took the cover off.