Well, i got my guitar changed from gauge 9-46 or something, to guage 10-52.

The high e string at the 11th fret plays the same pitch as the 12th fret, and theres a heck of alot of buzz aswell.

The g string at the 10/11th fret also has fretbuzz.

Why is this? and what can i do to stop it? i was just thinking about restringing?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
dont restring youll just waste your money on a new pack.

its an action problem, the strings are too low so when you hold down the 11th fret the string is hitting the 12th fret too.

what kind of bridge do you have?
I'm assuming you didn't set up your guitar? You need to make adjustments to accommodate the new tension on the neck. I would take it to a guitar tech to have them set it up any time you change your string gauge. You should also have your guitar set up with the change of the seasons.
Let's see. You bought new strings and took the old ones off and installed new ones. Did you do any of the following? Adjust the nut? Adjust the intonation? Check the clearance of the strings? Just changing strings will not work. There are many adjstments that are needed which includes the ones mentioned above. If you have never messed with a nut then I wouldn't recommend it, you can easily butcher one. Adjusting the truss rod is something else you shouldn't do unless you learn how, (watch youtube) or read manuals. Take your time and learn how to adjust these and the results will be there. Good luck

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
Let's see. You bought new strings and took the old ones off and installed new ones. Did you do any of the following? Adjust the nut? Adjust the intonation? Check the clearance of the strings? Just changing strings will not work. There are many adjstments that are needed which includes the ones mentioned above. If you have never messed with a nut then I wouldn't recommend it, you can easily butcher one. Adjusting the truss rod is something else you shouldn't do unless you learn how, (watch youtube) or read manuals. Take your time and learn how to adjust these and the results will be there. Good luck

If you're going to teach yourself via youtube I would suggest not messing around on a guitar you really like. Best thing to do is take a class if you can.
Apparently you haven't seen any of the videos on youtube in awhile. There are numerous professionals on youtube showing the proper way to setup guitars. If you are talking about the "guys sitting in the bedroom talking into a camera" then yes I agree. There are way too many of those and they are worthless.But there are many great tutorials on youtube. Dan Erlewine, one of the most respected Luthiers has numerous videos on youtube. Take a peak at them you might be surprised

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jun 4, 2010,
i have floating trem bridge. I didnt do the stringing, this guy at the music shop did. I DID fiddle around with the action i think, and it just snapped, straight away.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Hold your guitar and look from the side, down the neck, and up the neck looking at the fret board. Do you see ay bowing at all? As if the neck is being pulled towards the strings? Or away , bending backwards? If so then it is more than likely a truss road adjustment needed. Is the guitar your talking about this one? Ibanez RG350M. If so I can check and see what the string height should be and then you can check to see if it is close, but you should be able to tell if the string height is too high or low by just eyeing it. Also your bridge height could be off. Do you know the neck radius? Your bridge should be consistent with the neck radius. These are just some things that need adjusting when you change string gauge. But again I stress, find some GOOD videos on youtube (Dan Erlewine for one) and watch and learn. It helps alot. Let me know if I can help I will be glad to look up the info on your guitar for factory and/or suggested settings

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
Hold your guitar and look from the side, down the neck, and up the neck looking at the fret board. Do you see ay bowing at all? As if the neck is being pulled towards the strings? Or away , bending backwards? If so then it is more than likely a truss road adjustment needed. Is the guitar your talking about this one? Ibanez RG350M. If so I can check and see what the string height should be and then you can check to see if it is close, but you should be able to tell if the string height is too high or low by just eyeing it. Also your bridge height could be off. Do you know the neck radius? Your bridge should be consistent with the neck radius. These are just some things that need adjusting when you change string gauge. But again I stress, find some GOOD videos on youtube (Dan Erlewine for one) and watch and learn. It helps alot. Let me know if I can help I will be glad to look up the info on your guitar for factory and/or suggested settings

Cheers, ill do it tonight and let you know
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack