Is there any point in learning (major) scale patterns? I mean if i know the fretboard and start from a root note anywhere on the neck i can make up my major scale from there right? So what does the pattern add to it?

I'm learning the major scale right now all around the fretboard using the CAGED system, the dvd tells me there's a pattern inside every chord form.. there's no pattern inside the form, there's notes inside the chord form, making up a certain scale, knowing the fretboard will tell me what notes to play inside the particular form, not a pattern.

So where do the patterns come in handy?
Quote by B&J
Is there any point in learning (major) scale patterns? I mean if i know the fretboard and start from a root note anywhere on the neck i can make up my major scale from there right? So what does the pattern add to it?

I'm learning the major scale right now all around the fretboard using the CAGED system, the dvd tells me there's a pattern inside every chord form.. there's no pattern inside the form, there's notes inside the chord form, making up a certain scale, knowing the fretboard will tell me what notes to play inside the particular form, not a pattern.

So where do the patterns come in handy?

Patterns help with memorisation for newbs and muscle memory for everyone else. If you want to get any kind of speed out of something you're going to have to get some patterns under your fingers.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's no "point" to them - they're just there. If you're using a scale and looking for the notes on your fretboard you can't help but see patterns.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I second one of the above posters...

If you are just forming the scale impov by ear off of a given root not then you will lack a degree of confidence in knowing that you are going to play the right note next. A pattern can help you fix that.

Furthermore, by mastering the major scale patterns you will lay the groundwork for the study of modes. The modes use the same set of intervals as the major scale, only the tonic note changes. By mastering all the major scale patterns you will be able to extend these patterns into modal playing.
Last edited by Riffman15 at Jun 4, 2010,
They come in handy with modes as riffman previously stated, and they come in useful when transposing a song. Once you master the "C Major Pattern" You just learned how to play in every key just by moving the pattern up or down the fretboard. Once you learn it, theory begins to make a lot of sense. It's honestly the most important thing you can possibly learn in music.