ok its time for my first build and im not going for a simple one =)

here are the plans:

Im thinking;
mahogany body
mahogany neck
EMG 60/81
Rosewood/similar colour fretboard
definaly XJ frets
Black/gold hardware (havnt decided yet)
tuneomatic bridge
grover locking machine heads

i havnt decided on the finish yet, i may just varnish it depending on what the grain of the timber looks like.

i havnt given myself a budget since i just want to build a good guitar rather than one thats done on the cheap =)

its going to take a while to build since its going to be hard to find the time to work on it but i will update as i go along =)

its going to be nice to get back into the joinary, its been almost a year since i last touched a router lol

any thoughts?

edit:

here are the full size plans =]

http://www.mediafire.com/?igzjiudunmu <-- thats the '58 explorer

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwnhgtyyynt <-- thats the '76 explorer (alot less detailed)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Jun 4, 2010,
This is just probably a personal thing, but if you're willing to spend, I'd check out bareknuckle pups - they look great, and I've only heard good things about em.

That's probably just because I wanna trade the 81/60 in my ltd for BKs just to see what they're like, but w/e

Good luck, everything looks sound
I think you should paint it white with a black pick guard unless its going to have binding on the body then I think you should do it black with white binding and pick guard. And where did you get the plans from were they free? Or maybe baby blue (I think that’s what they call it) like on old starts I haven’t seen an explorer like that before.
This is just probably a personal thing, but if you're willing to spend, I'd check out bareknuckle pups - they look great, and I've only heard good things about em.

+1, I would advise BK Nailbombs - if you can afford them that is.

On the other hand, I've never fancied EMGs
yeah i was sat at work yesterday and did ALOT of google-ing and found those

here is the link to the full size plans, i uploaded them to a free file hosting site so i dont know how long they are going to stay there

http://www.mediafire.com/?igzjiudunmu

and tbh the whole reason i am doing this build now instead of 3/4 months time is because when i modded my Ltd Explorer i accidently ordered 2 EMG 81's, if i leave the spare pup lying around in my room i will probably lose it and i cba to re-list it.... might aswell build something to throw it in =) lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Thanks for the blue prints. I might build an explorer some time in the far and distant future.
if you want i have some for the '78 explorer aswell but they arnt as detailed =/
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
ok sure thanks Ill take any guitar blue prints you've got. I also had an idea you could paint it white and insted of haveing a sticker saying more beer? like james hetfeild you could have one as a joke saying somthing like more wine? more water? or somthing like that.
Quote by da_
ok sure thanks Ill take any guitar blue prints you've got. I also had an idea you could paint it white and insted of haveing a sticker saying more beer? like james hetfeild you could have one as a joke saying somthing like more wine? more water? or somthing like that.

i do like the idea... "more whiskey" in the Jack Daniels font maybe.... ok thats added to the "possible" list lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
hmm if my adobe reader is at 100 percent zoom is that like double zoom. or is that the actual size of the blueprints. and if it is , is that the perfect measurements of the guitar if i wanted to trace it????
*gotzguitarskillz* Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

GUITARS

Ibanez rgr421exfm W/ Evos
Epiphone G-400
Some no name acoustic thats pretty good
Quote by iamawsomeguitar
hmm if my adobe reader is at 100 percent zoom is that like double zoom. or is that the actual size of the blueprints. and if it is , is that the perfect measurements of the guitar if i wanted to trace it????

if you zoom in enough you can get it so that they are exact, use a ruler and the zoom until the thickness of the body is exactly 44mm

for my Tv size it needs to be at 43.8% zoom so it is possible
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Jun 4, 2010,
ok an undate =)

i have found the timber, planed it down so its all level and drawn out a template =)

going to get a router tomorrow so i can join all the pieces together =)
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
"More whiskey" I like it. Is that a hole in the wood? will it be in the way? and could you post the blue prints for the 78 explorer aswell please?
it is a hole but it shouldnt be a problem, i can always fill it =)

the ones for the '76 explorer are in the first post (2nd link down)
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
4one set back after another, took ages to get the router bits and now they have arrived the router wont work.... this axe is cursed already lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Nooooooo! I want to see it progress. maybe it is cursed my computer froze when I went on to this page lol.
yeah definatly cursed, i had a look at the wood today and its started to split, gonna glue it together anyway n see how it turns out =/
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Is it just me, or does that wood look like it's already been stained?
Quote by Joey-Z
Is it just me, or does that wood look like it's already been stained?

its been varnished, it was an old shelf lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
have you thought about making a hetfield 'eet fuk' explorer? with middle finger inlays etc. that would be pretty cool
tbh looking at the price that this is going to cost me and how it all seems cursed anyway im considering just buying an old epiphone off ebay and just modding it with EMG's and a new paint job.
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy
tbh looking at the price that this is going to cost me and how it all seems cursed anyway im considering just buying an old epiphone off ebay and just modding it with EMG's and a new paint job.

You should do that, but do some wiring mods (if you want) and refret it.
Quote by Dave Frenzy

you shouldn’t do that you should do some sacred ritual to stop it from being cursed and carry on
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Wait so does that mean you're shelving this this project? Ah! ha haaaaa

lol nice... and i dont know, im going to put it to one side and work on it when i can =/
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
did you just trace that template off the computer or did you print it because i tried printing it full size and cant?
dude this is going to be a beast when you finish it, if you didnt know already
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
I really really want the Gibson Explorer 58 plans. The files don't seem to be uploaded anymore. Is there anyway you can upload them again?
I really really want the Gibson Explorer 58 plans. The files don't seem to be uploaded anymore. Is there anyway you can upload them again?