Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a Yamaha Pacifica Mod and err... Where can I get a new Yamaha scale neck, whether it be Yamaha or not?

Note: I would like a clear neck with a black pegface or failing that a clear neck with a clear pegface.

Thanks
Quote by Emperor's Child
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a Yamaha Pacifica Mod and err... Where can I get a new Yamaha scale neck, whether it be Yamaha or not?

Note: I would like a clear neck with a black pegface or failing that a clear neck with a clear pegface.

Thanks

A what?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Measure your current neck's scale and then search eBay for a Yamaha neck (checking it's the same scale length)... probably 25.5".

As for the "clear", you mean lacquered, right? You'll find that the majority are just lacquered... including the head.
Yeah that's what I meant :P

The problem is that Yamaha use the metric system (I think) because their Japanese so I don't think any common scales (i.e. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez etc.) will fit perfectly. I know this from extensive searching on the subject. I've looked on the bay but Yamahas don't really pop up to much here in the UK. If they do their used, the wrong neck or not even a neck.

It's all very well, Yamaha making bolt on necks, but I really don't see the benefits...
Measure, in inches, from the nut to 12th fret and double that measurement, is it close to any of the "regular" scale lengths?
It's about 12.5 inches or 32.5 cm
Is that good? I'm not sure I measured it right?

I measured from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the fret
Quote by Emperor's Child
It's about 12.5 inches or 32.5 cm
Is that good? I'm not sure I measured it right?

I measured from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the fret

So that would be a 25 inch scale length then, possibly 25.5 if you have it wrong.

Measure from the face of the nut, where the strings leave it, to the centre of the 12th Fret (middle of the wire).

So why do you need to change the neck?

And are you sure you explained the "clear" thing fully? You don't mean a plexiglass (clear plastic) neck do you?

The reason you struggle to find a suitable Yamaha neck, is because you don't really understand what you are looking for.

Quote by YOU
"It's all very well, Yamaha making bolt on necks but I really don't see the benefits"

...Yamaha did not come up with that idea...Fender did, heard of them?
Fender made a legendary guitar called "The StratoCaster", upon which your Pacifica is based.

The benefit of it, is that an unskilled Mexican can assemble the guitar, which makes them quick and easy to produce cheaply.

Some would say, that Yamaha did it better. Especially the neck.

So what you actually want, is a Stratocaster neck, generic fitment.

So your extensive research, appears to have been somewhat flawed.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 6, 2010,
No, I don't want an acrylic neck - I meant a transparent satin or gloss finish... Sorry for being unclear.
The issue is with fret wear and it's not worth re-fretting a Yamaha.
And I'm not sure where you got that on Google but my measurements were rounded up if anything.
I'm also quite aware of the whole Fender came first thing - but Fender scale necks are easier to get hold of and if they're a different scale then Yamaha's bolt ons are incompatible.
However, I think I may have read somewhere that Yamaha have changed their neck scales (my Pacifica is obsolete... old) so maybe I have to contact Yamaha... I hope they have obselete parts *Crosses Fingers*
Quote by Emperor's Child
No, I don't want an acrylic neck - I meant a transparent satin or gloss finish... Sorry for being unclear.
The issue is with fret wear and it's not worth re-fretting a Yamaha.
And I'm not sure where you got that on Google but my measurements were rounded up if anything.
I'm also quite aware of the whole Fender came first thing - but Fender scale necks are easier to get hold of and if they're a different scale then Yamaha's bolt ons are incompatible.
However, I think I may have read somewhere that Yamaha have changed their neck scales (my Pacifica is obsolete... old) so maybe I have to contact Yamaha... I hope they have obselete parts *Crosses Fingers*

If your measurement is 650mm total (325mm nut to 12th fret), then it is a 25.5 inch scale length.

Period.

Yamaha necks are generally very good, so assuming it isn't bent, it could be worth re-fretting.

Does it really need re-fretting though? They have to be pretty low (really low), to need that.

Perhaps a fret level and dress and a new nut would suffice?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Oh Yeah, its low, but I got it 2nd hand, maybe I'll give the fret levelling a go first
If that doesn't work, I suppose I can be real nice to my local music shop and ask them if I can check the neck against a another...
Thanks
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB