Page 1 of 4
Hey,

This will no doubt be a contreverstial thread, but whatever. Is fair to say that Eddie Van Halen set the pace for modern Metal guitar? He invented the 'super strat' style guitar in that he was arguably the first guy to put humbuckers, a floyd (or at least a floyd rose style of bridge) on a strat-shaped guitar. He was also arguably the first guy to popularise tapping. All of these ideas are used by most Metal bands today if not all at some time or other.
So, did Eddie Van Halen invent modern Metal guitar?
No, because Van Halen are pop/rock.

I'd say Chuck Shuldiner or Trey Azagagazazgthoth. Or maybe Steve Harris.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by Chylyn
No, because Van Halen are pop/rock.

I'd say Chuck Shuldiner or Trey Azagagazazgthoth. Or maybe Steve Harris.

Not sure if serious.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

No, his guitar was br00talz enuff man, no wat I sayin?

I tink tht smthin br00talz lik slipknot or Synysster Gates man! Thet mde teh fisrt Bro0talz gUitR!

I don't know really, Iron Maiden or Evh. I honestly don't know or care though
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Its hard to say really, i think the first person to really make it how it is, was Tony Iommi, he was pretty much the first person to use that huge, sludgy de-tuned sound (and get popularity for it at least), but he obviously had influences and so on and so forth.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Jun 4, 2010,
If we think Eddie Van Halen invented his style, we're mistaken. Listen to Blue Cheer's cover of Boney Maroney, and then Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me.

Your mind will BLOW.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Tapping is used occasionally in solos, it's not a massively prominent metal technique.

I'd say Tony Iommi like everyone else inevitably will. Or whoever first started using distinctive metal palm mutes, I don't know who that'd be though.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 4, 2010,
Definantly Tony Iommi, he was the first one to do most of the stuff used in metal today or stuff that influenced it
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
no one person 'invented' modern metal guitar. EVH played a big part, but others did too (hetfield, dime, etc)

but its really just been invented by hundreds of guitarists that made small contributions to it.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
adrian smith, or the other 2 guitarist for iron maiden.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I thought guitars were made of wood...

WHy would you even want a guitar made of metal ?
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender

To add salt to the wound of a joke as bad as that, metal guitars are shaped like wooden acoustic guitars and are used in geners such as delta blues and sometimes country :P
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Sorry, i wasn't thinking.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Uh, no. His influence is only relevant to soloing and which means that technique isn't always used. Van Halen aren't even a metal band. Kirk Hammet used tapping in One, but what about the rest of the song? It's absent, so can you really say he invented it if it's only used in a minor amount of a song? No. The only bands that sound like a metal Van Halen were some of the glam bands, that's about it. Black, Doom and Gothic metal barely, maybe even never use it while Thrash, Melo Death, Metalcore, Trad, Death(with the exception of Tech Death), Prog and Power only really use it on occasion. So saying he invented Metal guitar because he popularized a technique is like saying who ever invented the hammer on invented Blues, Rock, Jazz guitar etc so no,He didn't invent modern metal guitar whatsoever, he added a little bit which is only really used in a few genres. So sure he has some credit, but he hardly invented it.
I see a lot of you are rooting for Iommi, but I meant MODERN metal guitar, people like Mick Thompson, Synyster Gates, Kirk Hammett, Joe Satriani those type of guys. But I can see where y'all r coming from
Gotta say Hendrix. Hendrix influenced Iommi with the sludgey tone and detuning. Oh wait. Gotta say Robert Johnson. Johnson influenced Hendrix.

It's like evolutionary systems. You can't attribute it to one person. And it has a whole cycle.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jun 4, 2010,
Edit: ^Well, fi we'll go that far back, let's go all the way back? Slave trade, without it we wouldn't likely have had most of the old "only on vinyl now" blues, and without that we wouldn't get Johnson, so no Hendrix, so no etc., etc.

I'd probably have to say a combination of Iron Maiden(Sure the first official album was in 1980, but the Soundhouse Tapes were 5,000-strong in England, nothing to laugh at in 70's metal band demos, and probably a few made their way to the US too), Uli Jon Roth, and a little of Eddie mixed in too. EVHites have really fallen back though after grunge happened.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
I'd say Toby Iioiiomioooiii.

no way man, obi wan kenobi is way better
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Tony Iommi if you listen to the Stuff from Sabbath Vol.4 onwards. Also the guys from Iron Maiden
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by true_bacon22
Uh, no. His influence is only relevant to soloing and which means that technique isn't always used. Van Halen aren't even a metal band. Kirk Hammet used tapping in One, but what about the rest of the song? It's absent, so can you really say he invented it if it's only used in a minor amount of a song? No. The only bands that sound like a metal Van Halen were some of the glam bands, that's about it. Black, Doom and Gothic metal barely, maybe even never use it while Thrash, Melo Death, Metalcore, Trad, Death(with the exception of Tech Death), Prog and Power only really use it on occasion. So saying he invented Metal guitar because he popularized a technique is like saying who ever invented the hammer on invented Blues, Rock, Jazz guitar etc so no,He didn't invent modern metal guitar whatsoever, he added a little bit which is only really used in a few genres. So sure he has some credit, but he hardly invented it.

oh come of it, lets not split hairs here but in One tapping is used througout that whole song. And also the type of guitar Van Halen uses - almost every single metal guitarist in almost every sub genre of metal have used or uses a strat shape with humbuckers and a floyd
Quote by RajjaJroach
I see a lot of you are rooting for Iommi, but I meant MODERN metal guitar, people like Mick Thompson, Synyster Gates, Kirk Hammett, Joe Satriani those type of guys. But I can see where y'all r coming from

They invented loads, didn't they.

Quote by RajjaJroach
oh come of it, lets not split hairs here but in One tapping is used througout that whole song. And also the type of guitar Van Halen uses - almost every single metal guitarist in almost every sub genre of metal have used or uses a strat shape with humbuckers and a floyd

It's used for about three seconds in the solo.
Quote by RajjaJroach

That's kind of a mixed bag, and I wouldn't consider those last two modern metal, and Satch isn't even metal. You'd really have to break it down into genres really, based off those three being Nu-metal(I think Slipknot are metal but a lot aren't), metalcore and thrash/Heavy metal.

Quote by RajjaJroach

No it isn't, it's used for literally 7 seconds. And I wouldn't really call using Humbuckers in a Strat influence. And even then, not really, the only band that comes to mind with that set up is Iron Maiden, who were going before Van Halen released anything anyway.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by the bartender

Let alone heavy metal, I mean I like my guitar to be quite light, gigging with a heavy guitar hurts.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by RajjaJroach

Joe Satriani is a modern metal guitarist?
Or are you saying those guys invented modern metal (which is still wrong imo)?

I'm going with Tony Iommi as well on this one. Without Tony Iommi modern metal music (whatever that is) wouldn't exist as it does.
Definately an evolution system.
One guitarist led to another.
Someone influenced Tony Iommi.
He influenced others.
They influenced others and all kinds of styles and bands were made:
Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Metallica.
Modern-day metal is just a sped-up version of this imo.
Kinda boring to me.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by RajjaJroach

Listen to Turn Up the Night and Mob Rules off the Mob Rules album. I'd say its fairly modern metal. Also it has Dio and Iommi which is a brilliant combination
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Pantera
Anthrax

/thread, considering at least one of these bands have been mentioned in almost every single post
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Timmy Lommi was a big influence,bigger then EVH.

Your ignorance deserves this:

A partial Lol-shame stack
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Pantera
Anthrax

/thread, considering at least one of these bands have been mentioned in almost every single post

Seriously?
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
Joe Satriani is a modern metal guitarist?
Or are you saying those guys invented modern metal (which is still wrong imo)?

I'm going with Tony Iommi as well on this one. Without Tony Iommi modern metal music (whatever that is) wouldn't exist as it does.

If you along with others would have read that thread CORRECTLY you would have seen that I didnt say those guys invented modern metal, simply that they are metal guitarist

And for the record tapping is used in the climatic solo for 7 seconds, but also in little and often througout the song. But lets be honest most of Metallica's shit has tapping in it anyway
Quote by webbtje
Seriously?

I hear quite a bit of the Bush era style Anthrax in a lot of Nu-Metal and groove Metalcore
Quote by RajjaJroach

And for the record tapping is used in the climatic solo for 7 seconds, but also in little and often througout the song.

No it isn't.

Quote by RajjaJroach
But lets be honest most of Metallica's shit has tapping in it anyway

You either have a predisposition for talking out of your rectum or a skewed notion of what 'most' means.
Page 1 of 4