Page 2 of 4
Quote by RajjaJroach
If you along with others would have read that thread CORRECTLY you would have seen that I didnt say those guys invented modern metal, simply that they are metal guitarist

And for the record tapping is used in the climatic solo for 7 seconds, but also in little and often througout the song. But lets be honest most of Metallica's shit has tapping in it anyway

...No it doesn't, and I think the only other Metallica song with tapping is Ride the Lightning. You really don't know a lot about Metal..What do you know about Black,Power,Death,Doom and Melodic Death metal boy?
This thread is awesome!

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by RajjaJroach
If you along with others would have read that thread CORRECTLY you would have seen that I didnt say those guys invented modern metal, simply that they are metal guitarist

And for the record tapping is used in the climatic solo for 7 seconds, but also in little and often througout the song. But lets be honest most of Metallica's shit has tapping in it anyway

But Satch isn't a metal guitarist. And most of Metallica's music doesn't have tapping in it; wah pedal, yes, but tapping, no.
Seriously guys this is a bit silly. The whole score one against eachother is just baby-ish. Look, there is such a difference between the guitar solos in paranoid and eruption(which itself is a guitar solo) but cant you lot see that without EVH metal guitar today would be completely different. Even the actual guitar in the 80s companies like Ibanez, Charvel-Jakson and even Fender used Eddies idea of what he thought a metal guitar should be like.
Quote by CheezMeUp
Your ignorance deserves this:

A partial Lol-shame stack

My first lol-ignorance stack,How the hell do I sig it :P
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
But Satch isn't a metal guitarist. And most of Metallica's music doesn't have tapping in it; wah pedal, yes, but tapping, no.

MOST OF METALLICAS STUFF HAS TAPPING IN IT THE SOLOS.
Quote by RajjaJroach

The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by RajjaJroach
Seriously guys this is a bit silly. The whole score one against eachother is just baby-ish. Look, there is such a difference between the guitar solos in paranoid and eruption(which itself is a guitar solo) but cant you lot see that without EVH metal guitar today would be completely different. Even the actual guitar in the 80s companies like Ibanez, Charvel-Jakson and even Fender used Eddies idea of what he thought a metal guitar should be like.

No, your making claims that are incorrect. Nobody here is trying to make you look like an idiot, but you keep making incorrect statements. It's really not that important, tapping is a technique that is hardly overused, thankfully. A technique is hardly enough to say he invented the entire modern metal guitar style, and using "strats with humbuckers" doesn't either. If he invented some sort of riff groundwork, like Iommi, then we'd agree, but pretty much NO metal band ever used Van Halen riffs(well, Maybe Dokken and Ratt), mainly because they weren't metal riffs, therefore couldn't be used in metal songs, because then they wouldn't be metal. Hell, Sweeping is far more prominent in todays metal then tapping is, so EVH barely invented metal guitar. Trust me, go listen to some of the genres I mentioned and you probably won't hear it or any of his influence used at all. There's more to metal then the stuff you see at Hot Topic.

Quote by RajjaJroach

Find 6 Metallica songs with tapping in it, I dare you.
Quote by true_bacon22
No, your making claims that are incorrect. Nobody here is trying to make you look like an idiot, but you keep making incorrect statements. It's really not that important, tapping is a technique that is hardly overused, thankfully. A technique is hardly enough to say he invented the entire modern metal guitar style, and using "strats with humbuckers" doesn't either. If he invented some sort of riff groundwork, like Iommi, then we'd agree, but pretty much NO metal band ever used Van Halen riffs(well, Maybe Dokken and Ratt), mainly because they weren't metal riffs, therefore couldn't be used in metal songs, because then they wouldn't be metal. Hell, Sweeping is far more prominent in todays metal then tapping is, so EVH barely invented metal guitar. Trust me, go listen to some of the genres I mentioned and you probably won't hear it or any of his influence used at all. There's more to metal then the stuff you see at Hot Topic.

Didnt EVH got inspired for Tapping from Jimmy Page?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by RajjaJroach

Despite there being no tapping in KEA, RTL, only once on MOP, and twice on AJFA?

WEBBDIT: Scratch that, don't think it's used at all on MOP. So that's twice in the thrash era. Most?
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Yeah, he was trying to play the Heartbreaker solo and figured it was easier to do using tapping.
Quote by webbtje
Despite there being no tapping in KEA, RTL, only once on MOP, and twice on AJFA?

Actually, the title track of RTL has tapping, and technically Pulling Teeth does as well, but that's a bass track so...
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by TheBurningFish
loud noises

I'm going to go out on a limb and offer Dino Cazares' name as an innovator.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

yes and no.

He saw Jimmy Page do this thing were he did a trill off an open note and let his pick hand fly off into the air for effect. He thought "Neat" and applied his other hand, and took the idea and ran with it.

I am ALMOST CERTAIN there is a moment where Jimi pick taps at Woodstock, and flamenco guitarists did it too. No one took it as far as Eddie though.

And may the record show that Eddie Van Halen got alot of his inspiration from Allan Holdsworth, who back in the day was doing stuff that could be considered shred, before Eddie.

Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by TheBurningFish
yes and no.

He saw Jimmy Page do this thing were he did a trill off an open note and let his pick hand fly off into the air for effect. He thought "Neat" and applied his other hand, and took the idea and ran with it.

I am ALMOST CERTAIN there is a moment where Jimi pick taps at Woodstock, and flamenco guitarists did it too. No one took it as far as Eddie though.

And may the record show that Eddie Van Halen got alot of his inspiration from Allan Holdsworth, who back in the day was doing stuff that could be considered shred, before Eddie.

True. Although, I don't think anyone here has claimed he invented it, although he did undeniably popularize it.
You guys are all idiots, everybody knows that Pete Wentz invented Metal Guitar.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Well pardon the **** out of me for being correct and all, but Dime (RIP \mmm/ CFH) invented shred guitar and floyd rose.
Quote by lights bane
Well pardon the **** out of me for being correct and all, but Dime (RIP \mmm/ CFH) invented shred guitar and floyd rose.

wrong
Quote by TheBurningFish
yes and no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE

Zappa tapping ;] This is a really good version too, it's really tastefully done.
Quote by lights bane

Billie Joe was using those way before Dimebag.

Dimebag's a poser.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Zoot Allures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE

Zappa tapping ;] This is a really good version too, it's really tastefully done.

Awesome...

Woodstock was 8 years prior though But that's still 3 years before Van Halen's debut album. Impressive. Gotta love the Zap man...

Quote by metacarpi
Billie Joe was using those way before Dimebag.

Dimebag's a poser.

Billie Joe played piano. Piano Man ring any bells?

GETCHA PULL ~~~
Quote by lights bane
Billie Joe played piano.

Played Piano with the guitar

So suck on that.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by the bartender
I thought guitars were made of wood...

WHy would you even want a guitar made of metal ?

キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by metacarpi
Played Piano with the guitar

So suck on that.

So what Dime invented deans. Without Dime pianos wouldnt exist.
Quote by Chylyn
Christ, you're almost as bad as Fassa.

The main difference is Zappa is fun to listen to, so I think he's excused

Hey, at least it was relevent...

Quote by Zoot Allures
|: <

Why do you say such terrible things

Stop mentioning Zappa in every goddamn thread you post in. His brilliance is meant to be our little secret.
Quote by silent caution
Quote by lights bane
So what Dime invented deans. Without Dime pianos wouldnt exist.

Good point. My knowledge of the history of Piano goes a bit fuzzy if you go further back than when the guitarist from McFly invented the shred pedal for Piano.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

'Black Sabbath' by Black Sabbath. THE first Metuuuhhl riff.
I don't know if you can really pin-point these things though. Music evolves continuously. I don't know of anybody who has came up with a completely original idea in music.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Personally, I think Iommi invented modern metal guitar. Listen to these tracks and you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYu-YBi8FDQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboS7psz-qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rajfsx0sUnU&feature=related
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Is there suck a thing like light metal?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by metacarpi
Good point. My knowledge of the history of Piano goes a bit fuzzy if you go further back than when the guitarist from McFly invented the shred pedal for Piano.

Yeah when he went back in time and played at that prom.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm actually surprised by the amount i mention zappa >_> I can't remember the last time i brought him up before today.

Username + sig.

But whatever, man
Quote by silent caution
This ignorance in this thread is ****ing amazing

It's like regular users who actually know what they're talking about VS. Ignorant, stubborn May 2010ers who think they know stuff
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by KirkMetallica
This ignorance in this thread is ****ing amazing

It's like regular users who actually know what they're talking about VS. Ignorant, stubborn May 2010ers who think they know stuff

Man, n00bs are the economic pillars of The Pit