Page 3 of 4
Tony Iommi. Playing in C# tuning in 1971, chugga chugga riffs like "Into the Void" and "Symptom of the Universe", etc.
Quote by darkcheef
ITT: Pissed metalheads getting trolled by n00bs.

Actually considering the painfull inaccuracies by TS, I think the metal community was quite calm about it. Nobody was overly rude or anything.
Chuck Berry.

EDIT:
Quote by lights bane
Billie Joe played piano. Piano Man ring any bells?

GETCHA PULL ~~~

Please tell me is joke...
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Last edited by CGB89 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by Chylyn
No, because Van Halen are pop/rock.

I'd say Chuck Shuldiner or Trey Azagagazazgthoth. Or maybe Dave Mustaine.

Fix'd

At least thats what my choices would be...
It's a tough question, but I think the answer goes to all of the classic metal bands of the 70's and the early hardcore punk bands. The modern metal guitar playing style was finalized by the early 80's thrash bands. I don't think you can give something like this to any one person TBH.
I read the whole thread, and In_The_Mist had the best reply in my opinion.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Tommy Iommi had a huge influence over what the type of riffs people write in metal, Randy Rhoads had a huge influence on the type of solos people write in metal. Obviously there are countless other musicians who have influenced the direction of metal music but those are the two I hear mentioned the most. There are plenty of great modern guitarists but I can't really name any that have influenced the metal scene in any noticeable way.
Last edited by metalfan986 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by metalfan986
Tommy Iommi had a huge influence over what the type of riffs people write in metal, Randy Rhoads had a huge influence on the type of solos people write in metal. Obviously there are countless other musicians who have influenced the direction of metal music but those are the two I hear mentioned the most. There are plenty of great modern guitarists but I can't really name any that have influenced the metal scene in any noticeable way.

A lot of -core bands are ripping off Meshuggahs whole polyrhythem deal, so maybe them
Tony Iommi probably
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by Will Swanson
Eddie Van Halen invented shred guitar, and Tony Iommi invented metal guitar.

randy rhoads? i am pretty sure randy was around before VH and he was shredding
Quote by Will Swanson
Eddie Van Halen invented shred guitar.

No, he really didn't. First Van Halen album: 1978, first album featuring the terrifying lead work of Allan Holdsworth: 1969. That's completely ignoring the equally scary shred skills that have been thrown around by gypsy jazz players for a good long time before that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No. None of what you described constitutes metal. It constitutes some equipment and technique used for hard rock/rock/pop/

Quote by metacarpi
Good point. My knowledge of the history of Piano goes a bit fuzzy if you go further back than when the guitarist from McFly invented the shred pedal for Piano.

this right here pretty much sums up this entire thread.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 4, 2010,
Or just jazz. Wes could tear it up when he wanted to.

Also, John McLaughlin was around a little before Holdsworth.

EDIT: @Zaphod.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by ironman1478
randy rhoads? i am pretty sure randy was around before VH and he was shredding

A lot of Randy's shred style was because of Eddie, Randy wasn't doing that stuff before him.

Also, I wouldn't consider Allan Holdsworth to be shred, he's above that.
Quote by Holy Katana
Or just jazz. Wes could tear it up when he wanted to.

Also, John McLaughlin was around a little before Holdsworth.

EDIT: @Zaphod.

Holdsworth was just the first actual name that came to mind, main point was that people were shredding (much more technically I might add) much earlier than Van Halen.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Holdsworth before McLaughlin?

EDIT: I consider McLaughlin to be better, since he's more tuneful. They both have stupidly good chops, though.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by Holy Katana
Holdsworth before McLaughlin?

EDIT: I consider McLaughlin to be better, since he's more tuneful. They both have stupidly good chops, though.

Yes, Holdsworth first He's one of the first names that comes to mind whenever I think about epicly godlike chops before Van Halen, generally closely followed by McLaughlin and Al Di Meola

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
as far as i'm concerned, metal began with Tony Iommi and ended with Randy Rhoads.
Jimmy Page?

Anyone? Anyone?
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by Zoot Allures
To be fair, django reinhardt was shredding back in the 30s..
This is a good point. And I don't think this is hugely debatable if you ask me.
Music in itself was not started by just one person and neither does any genre start with just one guitarist, I bet many people wrote chugging metal riffs before Tony Iommi it's just that Tony Iommi has become more popular as he made this style listen-able. Genres are made by different people mixing up ideas and it's guaranteed that one person did not come up with the definitive trademarks of Metal.

/thread
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
This comes down to the crap that is genre bias. Van Halen is rock, but they can be considered metal. You could say that a song made on the last day of 1979 sounds like a song made in early 1980, but they will forever be seperated by decade. This makes me feel sad.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
This comes down to the crap that is genre bias. Van Halen is rock, but they can be considered metal. You could say that a song made on the last day of 1979 sounds like a song made in early 1980, but they will forever be seperated by decade. This makes me feel sad.

Not really, Black Sabbath were playing material much more identifiable as metal well before Van Halen and as has already been said shred was around for much longer before that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zoot Allures
To be fair, django reinhardt was shredding back in the 30s..

True, but I was thinking about modern rhythm playing, not shredding. It's no secret that people were doing the whole shred thing long before metal.
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
LOYAL?
HARD WORKING?
FULLY EXPENDABLE?

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
IT'S NOT ABOUT PAY, IT'S ABOUT CRUSHING THE REBELLION
Tapping has been around for a long time and has been used on many different stringed instruments. It wasn't until eddie however that it became a commonplace technique for rock/metal guitarists.

Before Eddie: HOLY shit! did you see that? he totally just played notes by tapping the strings with his right hand!!!

After Eddie: Oh look he's fap tapping.

So TS was partially right.
Quote by the bartender
I thought guitars were made of wood...

WHy would you even want a guitar made of metal ?

They want to be as cool as Steve Albini

Look at him, he just knows he's baddest motherfucker to ever wear wire frames..
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Cream

No joke.

Thank Clapton.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I'd say Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, and EVH are the biggest innovators. Guys like Randy Rhoads, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica all point to them as major influences. A few others that don't get as much credit are Richie Blackmore, Leslie West, and Ted Nugent.
Last edited by CaptDin at Jun 4, 2010,
as far as pure metal riffs go its all the way tony iommi, soloing maybe tony also but for soling their are really a lot of people.