i was playing around with my bass, and somehow the cords got tangled up and i was playing my electric through my bass amp (hartke b150 combo), after like 10 mins jamming i was like "woah".

then i realized i was playing through my bass amp, the cleans on my bass amp are possibly better (for some different clean sounds) than my guitar amp. how can this be?!?!

also i dont think so but this wont damage the bass amp at all will it?
Quote by PapaSchumpf
the fender bassman was originally a bass amp too

+1

My guitar amp is a bass amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
if i went to a guitar store and tried out some guitars thru bass amps would they all stare at me and be like wtf?
Just say you want clean cleans
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
No it wont damage it. Some good guitarists actually play through bass amps e.g. Josh Homme
It's fine just don't do the reverse and play a Bass thru a guitar amp! The speakers aren't designed for the low frequency content and could be damaged.
Moving on.....
so to the people who do use a bass amp as their primary amp, what brands are best?

im still trying to take all this in...
Quote by imnouser
so to the people who do use a bass amp as their primary amp, what brands are best?

im still trying to take all this in...

Well to be fair, mine is a 1975 Fender Bassman 100... Not exactly your run-of-the-mill modern bass amp. I don't know if I would specifically seek out a bass amp, just play a bunch of amps, guitar and bass, and buy what you like.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hi-five for vintage Bassmans!

TS: I can't think of any modern production bass amps that are used in conjunction with guitars but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. Most of the time when a guitarist is using a bass amp as his primary amp its some sort of old vintage bass amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Hi-five for vintage Bassmans!

TS: I can't think of any modern production bass amps that are used in conjunction with guitars but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. Most of the time when a guitarist is using a bass amp as his primary amp its some sort of old vintage bass amp.

Ya the bass amps that are sought for guitar are generally tube, and modern bass amps are generally SS. There are some Ampegs out there that are probably great for guitar though. You just need to understand that one is not fundamentally better than the other (guitar or bass amps I mean.) There are great examples of both, so narrowing your search down to just one or the other doesn't make sense.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My friend has a Behringer combo that is the best rhythm amp I've ever heard. Not great for leads, but just sounds killer for rhythm.

EDIT: And it's a bass amp... derp
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
All of my amps are bass amps and I play guitar through all three of them. There is nothing wrong with it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Since basses don't really sound great with overdrive (unless you want a grinding sound, like for solos and stuff), bass amps are made with really high headroom and pristine cleans to get a natural sound from the bass. I love playing my Strat through my Acoustic B100 sometimes. A little boomy, but it has a spectacular effect.

As for good bass amps for playing a guitar through, I'm not sure. I know what sound good with a bass going through them, but not a guitar.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Traynor many years ago made a Head & Cabinet set with 2x 15 inchers in it. It was tall as the 15's were one over the other & not side by side. I played thru it many times in the mid 70's. I think it was a Bass amp but it was good for guitar.
Moving on.....
I play my Ibanez through our school bass amp, (Fender Rumble 60) and kick on the distortion, scoop the mids (which it has a 4 band EQ, Highs,Lows,High-mids,Low-mids, along with a mid scoop button.) So it can actually sound, really awesome, if I had a satchurator then my dreams would be met.
Quote by KenG
Traynor many years ago made a Head & Cabinet set with 2x 15 inchers in it. It was tall as the 15's were one over the other & not side by side. I played thru it many times in the mid 70's. I think it was a Bass amp but it was good for guitar.

I play one of those Traynors except mine is a combo with a single 15". It sounds huge, very awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
quick question: what if i played a bass through a guitar amp but at low volume for solely practices, would it only cause minimum to no damage?
Quote by taustin11
quick question: what if i played a bass through a guitar amp but at low volume for solely practices, would it only cause minimum to no damage?

NEVER play a bass through a guitar amp. Guitar speakers are not designed to handle the frequencies that are produced by a bass.
You can play bass through a guitar AMP (it won't sound good, though).
You just can't play bass through guitar SPEAKERS.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by KenG
It's fine just don't do the reverse and play a Bass thru a guitar amp! The speakers aren't designed for the low frequency content and could be damaged.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
NEVER play a bass through a guitar amp. Guitar speakers are not designed to handle the frequencies that are produced by a bass.

Urban myth. This is only a risk with it cranked. Bedroom practice is a-okay.

There's a reason for the myth, I think. If I recall correctly some of the older Fender Bassmans actually couldn't handle the sheer load they supposed to take and were prone to frying, presumably moreso with a Bass run through it.

I don't know if I'd risk it with a vintage amp. But most modern speakers should be fine.

Why is this?

An MXR Blue Box oscillates two octaves below. A Whammy/pitch shifter can do this too. A Floyd Rose can go well into Bass range. There are plenty of sub-octave pedals.

Why would these not bust your amp? Even a 100 Watt tube amp will have trouble pushing extreme lows at any real volume through it's speakers. 50-100 Watts tube is generally minimum for a giggable bass amp(and of course it will NOT be as loud as a 50-100 Watt guitar amp), whereas you can easily get away with 15 with a guitar amp; less with an efficient speaker. The amp can only amplify so much, so an amp can't just provide "more bass" because a Bass is plugged in(though of course the source being amplified has more low frequency content).

A bass into a guitar amp at low volumes, is obviously not going to have as much overall bass content as a guitar into a guitar amp absolutely cranked. It will not be able to produce the really low frequencies; just like small PC speakers or crap headphones won't either.

It takes more power to create lower frequencies; we generally tend to be less sensitive to them. Most of the wattage in any given amp goes into outputting low end.

Your amp is basically your tone and your instrument is your controller. The vast vast majority of your sound is coming from your amp, especially if you have passive pickups. When you think about it, it does seem silly.

A guitar amp will normally simply not significantly amplify the lower bass frequencies(sub 83hz), or even outright filter it out; is what it comes down to; but obviously a Bass amp will do so.

What you do not want to do is run a bass amp into guitar speakers. This is generally because the wattage rating for a bass amp speaker is at least 300 watts, whereas you can get guitar speakers that breakup as early as 15 Watts. I'm sure you can imagine what would happen in this situation.

However, a cool thing about guitar modelers is that they let us do things that are normally impossible, impractical, or prone to bursting into flames in real life. Bass amps through guitar speakers can give you great cleans sounds, since guitar speakers give you the mid focused EQ(which is the main tonal difference between a guitar amp and a usually more full range bass amp - even listening to an old fender bassman, it's obviously more full range than say a Vox). It could probably work if you had a fairly low wattage tube bass amp and a high wattage speaker, but you'd probably need one a couple of times the bass amp's wattage to be safe.