I'm looking for a good affordable modeling system to interface with a pc for recording. The Zoom ZFX looks good but can I get anything good for $150 or so?
For $200 you can get the vox tonelab st. I have it, and I love it.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
IMHO, the best audio interfaces are from M-Audio or PreSonus.
Something like this: M-Audio Fast Track MKII

Then, i suggest using REAPER to record, with the amplifier simulators on the Peavey ReValver Mk III or free plugins like the ones by AcmeBarGig or LePou.

If you're looking for a good but cheap multi-FX unit with USB support, there's the Boss ME-25.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
IMHO, the best audio interfaces are from M-Audio or PreSonus.
Something like this: M-Audio Fast Track MKII

Then, i suggest using REAPER to record, with the amplifier simulators on the Peavey ReValver Mk III or free plugins like the ones by AcmeBarGig or LePou.

If you're looking for a good but cheap multi-FX unit with USB support, there's the Boss ME-25.

The MKII would be nice and I can record vocals with it as well.

I assume some of the free plugins give good metal tone, i.e. Engl, Peavey, etc?
Quote by dizturbed
The MKII would be nice and I can record vocals with it as well.

I assume some of the free plugins give good metal tone, i.e. Engl, Peavey, etc?

Yes. Pretty close to the original, if you ask me.

The Peavey ReValver is a suite made by Peavey, and it's awesome what you can get from it. You can even mod the amps yourself (i.e., swap tubes on a Peavey 6505+).
Needless to say, the Peavey simulators in it are awesome.
The Peavey ReValver also has a couple of Marshall, VOX and Fender sims.

For other brands, like ENGL, you have LePou and AcmeBarGig's plugins.

Here, this thread was really helpful, i learned A LOT from it (how to set-up the plugins, etc.): UG's Official Guide to VST amp simulation

EDIT: feel free to ask me more stuff about this, i don't know much, but i'll gladly help to the extent of my knowledge.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 4, 2010,
I never was able to buy anything but with Christmas coming up...

I was looking over the M-Audio Fast Track again and it seems like it would be nice but now I see the M-Audio MobilePre mk II for $30 more. Looks like the big differences are the MobilePre is updated for Win7 support and another knob for i/o levels. I believe the ProTools SE software is an upgrade over the Pro Tools M-Powered Essential software with the Fast Track. Looks like a no-brainer for $30 more.

It's so new I can't find many reviews on it. Has anybody had experience with the new MobilePre or know if the specs/software are that much better?
Last edited by dizturbed at Nov 5, 2010,
The Zoom looks cool, but I haven't heard of anyone that has it. Pod Studio is always a good performer and the software is top notch. I have the Boss ME-25 that others have suggested and it's a very nice multifx. I haven't tried the USB recording yet. I've been using a BackTrack recorder on the analog output.
Quote by fly135
The Zoom looks cool, but I haven't heard of anyone that has it. Pod Studio is always a good performer and the software is top notch. I have the Boss ME-25 that others have suggested and it's a very nice multifx. I haven't tried the USB recording yet. I've been using a BackTrack recorder on the analog output.

Those may be cool but I haven't really looked into them.

I probably need to start a new thread since I'm now aimed at USB/laptop modeling instead of those type units.
I think the thread is fine. You indicated in your initial post that you were looking for a recording interface and the Zoom you gave as an example suggested you didn't want a standard floor multifx. That's why I suggested the Pod Studio. I have the TonePort KB37 keyboard, which is basically a Pod Studio.
Quote by fly135
I think the thread is fine. You indicated in your initial post that you were looking for a recording interface and the Zoom you gave as an example suggested you didn't want a standard floor multifx. That's why I suggested the Pod Studio. I have the TonePort KB37 keyboard, which is basically a Pod Studio.

Got it. I'm a little skeptical of Line6 after the awful GuitarPort I bought several years ago. The Pod Studio looks like it may be as nice as the M-Audio and it will work with all the same plugins. The specs on it give USB 1.0 or 2.0 but the M-Audio doesn't mention whether it supports USB 2.0 or not.

UX1 or UX2? A few more i/o ports on the UX2 which I may not need...