So I'm definately considering making some boutique pedals and thought if I like making them for myself surely I would like to make them for others?

They wouldn't be £250 quality but I'm sure they could be pretty good and I could sell them for about £35-45 a go...

They would be entirely custom made with your choice of coloured enclosure etc.

If you could get some nice pedals for about £40 would you? or would you stick with brands?

Also I presume making pedals is similar to the usual soldering I've done before?

Lastly if I was to profit from these pedals would I need to establish myself as a tradesman by law?

Thanks.

HELLO!

You'd struggle to find a good list of parts for that sort of money.

madebymike.co.uk (or .com, just google it) does what you do as well, so check out his stuff.

I also have a friend who wants to do the same as you too He reckons he'll be the next Dr. Scientist
I've seen parts I could get for such a price, however I was wondering whether the quality of parts would effect the quality of sound or whether that's in the assembly.. I will check out the site you reccomended though thanks.

HELLO!

Thats not a parts site, just a fellow pedalbuilder. Are you looking at RS electronics or farnell CPC or something?
I was looking at banzai music.

And I know I wasn't looking for parts on his site just his pedals and prices

HELLO!

I'm all for good pedals at a good price. I don't think the profit margin is as big on pedals as you think it might be. To be able to offer good pedals at the price you are looking at, you are going to have to be making a lot of pedals and ordering parts in bulk.

I suggest you make a few pedals and start selling and traiding them in the classified section here on UG. As long as you are only doing a few and not making a big income you don't need to register as a business. It's only when goes beyond the stage of being a hobby that you have to worry about making things official. Remember that there are some strict regulations regarding electronics and when you are a real business you are going to have to be able to do things like prove that your products contain no lead. Not only do you have to do things like use lead free solder, but there are various switches and capacitors that you can't use because, although they don't contain any lead, they are made in buildings that use lead solder in other, unrelated, products.

Walk before you run. When you do get some pedals together let me know because I love collecting good pedals.
So say if it was a fairly good quality pedal custom made then how much would you guys be willing to pay cause I fancy taking it up and will let you know.

HELLO!

I guess that would be the thing, making people confident, although at first I'd only be selling on UG and only if I thought my product was good enough (im a bit of a quality snob) but you guys have helped a lot I'll look into buying some supplies soon

HELLO!

I'd probably be up for buying one, custom stuff generally sounds the best :P if you can prove there good quality and look pretty decent i'd probs be interested :P
that's cool well yeah well one of the perks of having a dad who's a tradesman and an engineer is the fact I have top quality tools at my disposal so I'll consider buying a kit soon, Owen - any particular colour enclosure you'd like - cause i could get that colour and if you don't like the sound just keep it for myself for a pedal/ work in progress.

HELLO!

If you could get some nice pedals for about £40 would you? or would you stick with brands?
Quote by JamesLPs
Also I presume making pedals is similar to the usual soldering I've done before?
What is the usual soldering you've done? Does this mean you've never made pedals before?
Quote by JamesLPs
I was wondering whether the quality of parts would effect the quality of sound or whether that's in the assembly.
Yes. Absolutely. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***.
Quote by JamesLPs
Lastly if I was to profit from these pedals would I need to establish myself as a tradesman by law?
Asking for legal advice on an internet guitar forum is only slightly less dangerous than asking for surgical advice on an internet guitar forum.

As CorduroyEW said, it's probably best to pursue it as a hobby first. Make lots of pedals and use them yourself. Then, once you have some quality ones, give them to friends or guitarists in local bands. Then maybe look at selling. Best of luck, it's loads of fun!
I'm surprised the amount of awesome people that have posted on this thread

Anyways yeah I haven't made pedals before which is why I plan on making some ones for myself first and seeing if they're okay, I'm going to make sure I spend a reasonable amount on the parts but I don't want to break the bank..

Thanks a lot for the advice and I'll let you guys know about building..

My only decision left is do I get a new amp first or the pedal parts..??

HELLO!