Many people have often started calling Green Day sell outs. I have to say i do and don't agree to this. Green day have been quoted as one of the most influential punk bands. I had trouble debating weather to put them in the punk or alternative category, do to their recent album "21st Century Breakdown".

I must say that Green Day has become very commercial in the past year. I am referring to the new Broadway show "American Idiot" and the new game coming out June 8th "Green Day: Rock Band". And they have changed their style. Compare the punk-style 39/Smooth, to the love expressed political "21st Century Breakdown" and "American Idiot". Also look at the videos. Compare ''21 Guns" to "Brain Stew/Jaded".

But Green Day has grown up. They are no longer the hormonal teenagers they were in the 80s they are almost in they're forties. And with age comes wisdom.

So what do you think? Is Green Day the Kings of Sell Outs?
punks been dead for a long time. thay were barely punk back then. yes they are sellouts you can tell by the mascara they wear
They're sell outs. Their albums before Dookie were real punk music, they changed their style to a more pop/punk sound, and marketed their image to sell records.

They packaged the punk lifestyle & attitude in the early/mid 90's & made it pop, but kept just enough shock factor and energy to stay somewhat punk.

Also, see Blink 182 & Enema Of The State for a similar reference.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
no. they arent. they found success doing the music they wanted to do. which was hook filled pop punk. why does beingn commercial suddenly make you a sellout?
sure, green day have maybe "sold out" in the recent projects like the new rock band game and the musical. But if you listen to the bands side project (Foxboro Hot Tubs) then you can see that they havn't lost their punk feel in my opinion. Punk meant to be about doing what you want, and no caring about what other people think of you, which i think their doing. I think its best to label the band, not the individuals.
Quote by guitarchick678
Many people have often started calling Green Day sell outs. I have to say i do and don't agree to this. Green day have been quoted as one of the most influential punk bands. I had trouble debating weather to put them in the punk or alternative category, do to their recent album "21st Century Breakdown".

I must say that Green Day has become very commercial in the past year. I am referring to the new Broadway show "American Idiot" and the new game coming out June 8th "Green Day: Rock Band". And they have changed their style. Compare the punk-style 39/Smooth, to the love expressed political "21st Century Breakdown" and "American Idiot". Also look at the videos. Compare ''21 Guns" to "Brain Stew/Jaded".

But Green Day has grown up. They are no longer the hormonal teenagers they were in the 80s they are almost in they're forties. And with age comes wisdom.

So what do you think? Is Green Day the Kings of Sell Outs?

You summed up the argument against yourself. I don't know if they sold out and I don't really care. I don't know if this is what Greenday did but if a band changes it's style to become more commercially successful it's seen as selling out.
If you like the music then why do you care what other people think about it?
Honestly if a band changes their style doesn't mean that they're selling out. Incubus and Thrice changed styles on every album. Does that mean that they sold out? No it just means that they're evolving as musicians and willing to take risks, and learn new things to make them better than before. It takes maturity to evolve and take risks as a band.

People are never happy with musicians. Either the band never changes styles and they're boring, or they're always changing and selling out.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Quote by Fearless(Times)
Honestly if a band changes their style doesn't mean that they're selling out. Incubus and Thrice changed styles on every album. Does that mean that they sold out? No it just means that they're evolving as musicians and willing to take risks, and learn new things to make them better than before. It takes maturity to evolve and take risks as a band.

People are never happy with musicians. Either the band never changes styles and they're boring, or they're always changing and selling out.

nope, there is a difference between progressing musically and conforming to get more money.
They may have sold out in America, but in Englishland they never have been popular much. I tried not to sound like a **** when I said that, but thats the way I see things.
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
why is this thread in Indie and Alternative? Green Day are signed to a major label and they are incredibly mainstream and obviously not alternative
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!