***UPDATE: pictures at bottom of page****

So I was looking through some old boxes that had belonged to my step-grandmother. Inside one there was an old guitar case with the word Fender printed on the front so naturally I got a bit excited. After spending an hour trying to open the thing I was able to see inside. Inside I saw what at first looked like a disappointing knock-off tele (no name on the headstock). But upon further inspection I found that it had fender hardware and on the back on the neck plate there was a serial number. I ran the number and it came back as a '69 telecaster... but I have my doubts.

First of all the neck had to have been replaced as there are no identifying features on it at all. No name, no serial number, and its still all glossy and perfect whereas the guitar body is much more worn.

The body itself troubles me, it looks like a modern day ash tele. Natural finish with a black pickguard, I haven't seen any old ones that look this way. I'm wondering if I messed up when I ran the numbers and its actually just some old cheap-o squier.

The number was 277699. Can anyone help?

PS- I haven't posted on here in forever, when I have some better pics I need to post my NGD. You were all a fantastic help with that as well.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Last edited by JTBach at Jun 4, 2010,
working on it, I dont own a camera. I know for sure the neck isnt original... but I'll try to get the rest fast
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Does it matter? If it plays well then it's all good, if not then it's an ornament
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if its from '69 its still going to be played. I'll just make sure I take better care of her. I appreciate history, and she's been sitting in a case (which appears to also be from '69) for almost five years. I want to clean her up and use her, but I also dont want to swap out anything that might be original if she is that old.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
at least the neck plate is from a '69.
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): 1969

images of the wiring of the pots and internal cavity will tell alot about the authenticity of the body/hardware.

there should be cracking in the finish. every tele i've run into that's a '70s or earlier has some nice cracking in the finish. very sexay, very mojo, very desirable.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.

Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
sorry for the crappy phone camera pics. I'm not sure whats going on with that toggle switch either... I havent seen anything like that in between the volume and tone knobs before. Obviously the neck is a replacement so I didnt include pics of that.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
sorry for the crappy phone camera pics. I'm not sure whats going on with that toggle switch either... I havent seen anything like that in between the volume and tone knobs before. Obviously the neck is a replacement so I didnt include pics of that.

The switch is an addition and most likely a "Phase" switch or tap. years ago we would get the switch between pups to get the phase sound then many started using the toggle prior to the 5 position switch availability.

If you want to contact "Fender" here is the info: send them the pics as well.

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Attn: Consumer Relations Dept.
8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
Telephone: (480) 596-7195
Fax: (480) 367-5262
E-mail: consumerrelations@fender.com
Don't do anything stupid until you contact Fender. Email them as many pictures as possible and with any history you might have on the guitar. That guitar might be worth a lot more than you think. I would also post pics on this forum as they know just about anything regarding tele's... http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php
the saddles aren't period correct, nor the bridge. the extra switch is a modification, could be phase. the two piece ash body is period correct, but shows no usual signs of aging.

if you remove the two screws holding in the chrome plate on the front and show the wiring that will help determine if things look like late 60's wiring. obviously there will be an extra switch and more than usual wiring.

i suspect the only part that is 1969 is in fact the neck plate. i have one from a 1970 that i keep on my strat, just because it's the last piece i have from my first strat.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I nominate this thread for best cell phone pics ever.

The only thing that screams vintage at me is the back plate. I've only seen old Fender guitars with that kind of bolt plate.
yeah I'm wondering if it was just somebody's partscaster. Anyways it plays great so I'm begging my stepmom to let me keep it and not shove it in a case forever. I think she'd look beautiful next to my 50's reissue strat. Plus, that would satisfy my current GAS and I would be able to focus on getting an acoustic for college.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
hngd .... GRR WHY THE **** DONT I EVER FIND BLONDE TELES.

jealously's a bitch
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by gutted_radical at Jun 5, 2010,
Dude, that could be a Fender No-Caster!
EDIT: Wait, it's a '69 tele? Nevermind, it's probably not a no caster haha
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Last edited by simpleben09 at Jun 5, 2010,