Dear UG Community,

I have always changed my strings one at a time. I have never taken all of them off and put the new ones on. Sometimes I hear the later isn't good for the neck tension.

Is this bad? Are there any consequences to taking all the strings of when changing them?

What do you do when you want to rub oil (or whatever that stuff is to moisturize the wood of the frets) on the frets?

Thanks,

Alex
A-mart
I always take them all off, clean, and then restring. Every guitar tech I've ever taken my gear to has done the same.
it only scews things up if you have strings off for extended periods of time or you take them off really quickly, if you gradually unwind them all, you'll be fine, but if you just take clippers and cut them all at once so that the neck tension is instantly reduced to nothing, you will have problems
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
^ what they all said. The only problems you'll run into is neck tension, and a floating bridge suddenly pointing up. The only time i take off all the strings is if i need to make a major gauge adjustment, or oil the fretboard, or switching out the pickups.
Quote by lpcustom325
it only scews things up if you have strings off for extended periods of time or you take them off really quickly, if you gradually unwind them all, you'll be fine, but if you just take clippers and cut them all at once so that the neck tension is instantly reduced to nothing, you will have problems

I think that's a myth...I've seen techs clip strings before. Maybe thats because they get the guitar restrung so fast
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
i take em all off every time and clean and condition the fretboard and polish the frets
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I usually try not to, but every once in a while I will take several strings off because it just make cleaning up the fretboard easier

Also, some adjustments do require to take off all the strings, like changing pickups, adjusting the nut or bridge saddles, etc. After I'm done with that stuff I usually treat myt fretboard with oil (which I usually do anyways) and then check my action after I've put all the strings back on...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I take them all off every time regardless of whether it's fixed bridge or tremolo. I also unwind them before cutting. But that's only because I'm not a fan of things under pressure snapping and flying around.
Unwind all strings > Cut each string > Oil fretboard and clean etc. > Restring from outer to inner strings

I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
Quote by BrokenDstring
I think that's a myth...I've seen techs clip strings before. Maybe thats because they get the guitar restrung so fast

maybe it is, i don't know, but i'm not willing to test it
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
I clip the strings before unwinding them whenever I change them. And I take them all off. Never had a problem with any of the guitars I've owned over the last 6 years and at one point I restrung every week. When I traded my Gibsons in the owner of AVG even commented on how straight the necks were as he'd seen many warped ones. As far as I'm concerned, it's myth. And I haven't had strings on my backup Strat in a month and a half until I restrung it today and no problems whatsoever.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'll +1 that I always take em all off at once.

I've never cut the strings though... y'all are lazy. Get a speed tuner lol 5 seconds and they'll come right out of the pegs.
Quote by josephde
I'll +1 that I always take em all off at once.

I've never cut the strings though... y'all are lazy. Get a speed tuner lol 5 seconds and they'll come right out of the pegs.

I've got one I just don't really care. It's never hurt so I just clip em.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I don't think it'd hurt anything, I just think it'd end up being as much work, and more mess lol
Yea, sometimes they fly in different directions and I have to find them which sucks. That's about the only draw back.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

vintage kluson style tuners and peg winders. its soo easy. and it looks NICE too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
vintage kluson style tuners and peg winders. its soo easy. and it looks NICE too.

Klusons are the shit. I can change my strings in 5 minutes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by stratplyr01
thanks for all of your posts. I conclude: MYTH BUSTED

lol. maybe they should actually do a show about that
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Not necessarily busted =P.
The strings on your guitar are pulling with a force of about 100 pounds. Your truss rod is counteracting this by pushing in the opposite direction with a high amount of force.
Take away that 100 pounds of string tension and it only makes sense that the wood is being pulled with the truss rod.

Obviously it won't happen instantly, it'd take a while. I wouldn't leave my guitar completely un-strung for more than 5-10 minutes personally.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I dunno, is it really 100 pounds? The strings are not pulling perpendicular to the neck, they're pulling down from one side. So it's not a case of adding up all the string tensions. The actual force against the truss rod must be much lower.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.