someone's offered to swap their dean vendetta 1.0 for my epiphone S310. it's natural finish and rosewood fretboard etc but i'm a bit unsure

worth it????
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
hey i think your better off with the dean vandetta im a fair supporter of dean and i own a Dean Z, i have played on a vandetta 1.0 and it screams and is stunning for all styles of music, i would try it out and if it feels more comfortable and sounds better than the epiphone go for it
Gibson Flying V (1984 Reissue)
Jackson Kelly JS32T
B.C.Rich Warlock "Bronze Series"
Dean "79 series Z"
Marshall MG15X 20 watt
Digitech Death Metal Effects Pedal

Going over the top like a M1A1 tank with a sunroof xD
Last edited by xXshadowswordXx at Jun 4, 2010,
thanks. yeh i've played it and despite the 23rd and 24th frets being totally unreachable with my fat hands (unlike my ibanez whiere i can get to them quite easily) but it's a good guitar, feels nice, is much lighter than my epi and probably sounds better, i haven't heard it through an amp yet but i bet it'd sound better than the epi. it's just i haven't really seen many of these epi strats so i imagine they're quite rare unlike the dean however i've also been told they're only worth £80 or so...
lol the vendetta is priced bout $300 i think or around that definately a good swap but depends what style u wanna play, the dean will do good in all them aswell i have that problem with my hands at imes haha thats why i use V shapes for ease , the epiphone is bout that price because of the bad construction the pickups are fitted badly in the body so you cant get the best sound out of it, if i were u m8 i would do the swap
Gibson Flying V (1984 Reissue)
Jackson Kelly JS32T
B.C.Rich Warlock "Bronze Series"
Dean "79 series Z"
Marshall MG15X 20 watt
Digitech Death Metal Effects Pedal

Going over the top like a M1A1 tank with a sunroof xD
As much of an Epiphone strat fan that I am, I'd have to say go for the swap...unless its an older 310 with the hockeystick headstock. Those seem to have been built better than their newer counterparts with the batwing headstocks.

However, you are also talking about the difference between single coil and humbucker pickups. You might like the sound of HB's better. I know that Epi's single coil PUPs weren that good, but I cant imagine Dean putting quality PUPs on a Vendetta either. Its apples and oranges, really.

I can also tell you that your 310 is plywood, unless its an ash custom with a natural finish. Not sure what the Deans are made of. I've heard they are ply with a veneer on top, but I dont really know for sure.

Your best bet is to try it out and see if you like it. But it is definately worth consideration.
Last edited by RobinTH at Jun 4, 2010,
yeh there's pics on my profile, i'm sure the strat is a 96/97 model not a 70's. it's got "epiphone by gibson" on teh headstock and it weighs an absolute tonne. well, in comparison to my ibanez, fender and acoustic guitar anyway. it sounds nice but i just feel uncomfortable playing it at times. i'm about 70/30 in favour of the swap at the moment...
Yours is a 1987 or 88 model year. To me, that would be a keeper...but thats me. Still ply, but the necks on those older models were superb.

The S-Series started in 1986 with a Jackson style headstock. In 1987 they changed to the Explorer type headstock to avoid a lawsuit from Jackson. In 1989 they modified the shape again slightly and removed the "By Gibson" part of the logo. In 1996 the headstock was changed to the "batwing" style. The S-310 ran until 1999 and the remaining S-Series ran until 2004 with the FAT-210 & FAT-310. There were no Epiphone Strat-type guitars built before 1986.

Like I said, personally, I'd keep it - as a modding platform. But again, thats just me. I'm a fan of those gits. They arent worth any more or less than a Vendetta, but try out the Dean and see if you like it. Find out which is right for you. Thats what is most important.

And yeah, they do weigh a ton. I have a 1986 S-500 that is a tank. I love it.
Last edited by RobinTH at Jun 4, 2010,
thanks for your advice. and you say a "modding platform" i'm not really into modding guitars much, i like to keep things as they're meant to be unless something drastically needs changing. but i think i'll do a swap, he said something about ebay. which because he's only seen pictures of the guitar i think he said if he doesn't like it he'll ebay it. so that's one to look out for really. because it was my 3rd in line of electrics, always the last to be played, only used of the others were out of tune and i couldn't be bothered to retune or if strings were snapped. i even a few times took strings off the epi just to carry on playing the fender or ibanez. so if he plays it it's more than it's seen off me, if not then ebay will be the decider of its fate.
don't get me wrong i've enjoyed playing it when i did. but i think i'll say goodbye to it and take the swap.

thank you so much for your advice and help everyone, and robinTH you never know, you might end up with it if you see it on ebay :P

peace.