Page 1 of 2
Is it just me, or do a lot of guitar players, like to play their electric guitar unplugged?

When i am just practising something or experimenting, i find it not only a hassle to plug the guitar in to my amp, but i also dont want to. The noise adds a stress that is not relaxing.
Playing an electric unplugged in the bedroom, i find is easy, stress free, & loud & clear enough.

I have 4 electrics now & an electric bass. 90% of my bedroom playing time is unplugged. I dont even have a bass amp, so all my bass guitar fiddling is unplugged.

I am only a relative novice.

Whats your take on this?
Cheers.
yeah I really only do that at night when it's too late to turn my amp on. my sg is actually pretty loud unplugged, moreso than any other solid body electric i've played.
i find it helps my experimenting, but most of my playing is done between the hours of 11pm an 5:30am, so it HAS to be unplugged, but i got into a fight with my amp......... i won, now the input jacks a tad broken....
Quote by handbanana
yeah I really only do that at night when it's too late to turn my amp on. my sg is actually pretty loud unplugged, moreso than any other solid body electric i've played.

I didn't think you were gonna post here anymore

Yeah I do this sometimes. Unless I wanna use my pedals it's certainly easier when watching tv or something.
I play unplugged quite often as well. Usually late at night or just dont feel like plugging in for whatever reason. Sometimes just because I'm in the middle of doing something else and I pick up my guitar on a short break for a few minutes. If I plug in I'll get stuck there and not finish whatever else I was doing. lol.
i usually practice unplugged. unless i cant hear it, then i will practice on the clean channel. i rarely find myself using any dirt anymore.
Quote by RobinTH
I play unplugged quite often as well. Usually late at night or just dont feel like plugging in for whatever reason. Sometimes just because I'm in the middle of doing something else and I pick up my guitar on a short break for a few minutes. If I plug in I'll get stuck there and not finish whatever else I was doing. lol.

Me too

Im glad I only spent £17, £22, £30, £35, & £87 (sounds really expensive!) for each of my electrics now!

I tend to save my £22 strat for the unplugged work. Why risk wearing out my £35 strat with its £22 custom pickups unneccessarily!
Seeing that I gave my amp away to someone who doesn't have the money for one, I now play solemnly unplugged
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I practice unplugged all the time. I don’t especially like listening to myself warming up and butchering leads through an amp so I’m pretty sure my neighbors don’t want to hear it. My next guitar will definitely be a semi-hollow or hollow body just to make unplugged practicing better.
My amp sounds like a piece of shit,So I play unplugged.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Generally I play unplugged more. In fact it's better to play plugged in; playing through an amp amplifies your mistakes, which you can otherwise ignore/not hear when playing unplugged.

^ That's all contingent on time of day though, and whether anyone is in the house.
Practicing unplugged can sometimes actually greatly help with your techniques.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Octavarium7
Yeah, So nobody hears how much i suck

This.

Then again, I'm a modest person, so.....

Back on topic, I do sometimes, since I like the tone of my guitar unplugged, but other times, I'll play with earphones.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
I hate it, lol.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by madeinchina1
The noise adds a stress that is not relaxing.

Then I'd say your probably doing it wrong...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
sometimes i prefer playing unplugged when learning/practicing techniques because theres no distortion or tonal qualities hiding mistakes, even from the clean channel. then other times i will crank the amp up and shake the walls of the house.
I think that's called laziness.

I do it sometimes, when I'm watching a movie or something. Kill 2 birds with one stone, even if you're doing nothing more than exercising your fingers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I do it alot!!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Really quite surprised how many people actually do this, it's something I never do to be honest, if it's night time I just put headphones in my amp.
Quote by TMF128
Practicing unplugged can sometimes actually greatly help with your techniques.
Not really IMO.

Especially with techniques like sweep picking. When you play un-plugged, you do not hear extra noises that you will hear when plugged in.

Anyways, I usually write songs unplugged, but I practice everytime through my computer using amp simulation.
I'm always plugged in and cranked up as much as I can get away with.

®
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 4, 2010,
You should always play a guitar unplugged before you buy it. Almost always, if a guitar is loud (resonant) and sounds good unplugged, it will sound great through a good amp. An acoustically dead sounding guitar wont sound as good through an amp.

I play unplugged a fair bit.
i mean it is less stressing just to mess around but i always do my practice loud
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
I'm a newb, and I also play at night in my room and don't want to disturb anybody, but at my point of progress, I find that even the tiniest amount of volume on a practice amp helps me learn basic techniques like palm muting and scratching and hammers and pulls, never mind figuring out the settings needed for whatever I'm playing. I guess if I was somewhat proficient at the basics, I could make progress unplugged, but not right now, still too much to learn.
Almost never play unplugged. My amp sounds pretty good and I like to play with distortion, I don't find playing unplugged fun unless im warming up.
Lol @ "it's bad to play it unplugged/ you can't hear your mistakes"... Maybe it's just the way I've been doing it, but I think I play unplugged all the time. Call it laziness if you want, but any acoustic/classical players play "unplugged", and isn't technique important on those forms of our instrument? And honestly, electrics unplugged aren't that quiet. No, your land lord won't hear it through your apartment walls, but unless I have hearing problems, I can definitely hear myself play, as well as mistakes that may come through when I'm practicing. I only practice with an amp when it comes to when I'm trying to seriously apply it. I have no reason to amp it up if I'm going to just do arpeggios up and down the fretboard and I'm either trying to just get into the exercise or warming up. It does make sense to use an amp to hear the less noticeable imperfections and to apply it to a song or such.

Where did this idea come from that unplugged is next to silence in sound?
I either play unplugged or use the acoustic emulation on my multi-effects pedal a lot lately, more than I use any kind of distortion. That's mostly because I have been practicing and learning new stuff lately, and I just find it more pleasant to play clean while learning new techniques.

Off topic, I did notice that lately when I do use distortion, I am tending to use less and play more classic rock. When I started to play a few years ago, I always played rock, then started to favor metal more and more. All my recent clean/unplugged playing lately has caused me to revisit softer styles, and I am happy about that because I want to be very diverse later on.
Practice sometimes with a Rockman Ace, but mostly just jam through the t00bz.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I always plug in if I'm seriously playing or trying to write music. If I'm just noodling around or practicing some technique, I am sometimes unplugged and playing while watching a movie or something.
My bedroom playing is mostly unplugged. I don`t have much time to practice seriosly theese days, also is seems ages to set up my amp, cables, effects, find an unbroken pick. But at more serios playing time, I go full on.
Quote by JDizzle787
Lol @ "it's bad to play it unplugged/ you can't hear your mistakes"... Maybe it's just the way I've been doing it, but I think I play unplugged all the time. Call it laziness if you want, but any acoustic/classical players play "unplugged", and isn't technique important on those forms of our instrument? And honestly, electrics unplugged aren't that quiet. No, your land lord won't hear it through your apartment walls, but unless I have hearing problems, I can definitely hear myself play, as well as mistakes that may come through when I'm practicing. I only practice with an amp when it comes to when I'm trying to seriously apply it. I have no reason to amp it up if I'm going to just do arpeggios up and down the fretboard and I'm either trying to just get into the exercise or warming up. It does make sense to use an amp to hear the less noticeable imperfections and to apply it to a song or such.

Where did this idea come from that unplugged is next to silence in sound?

With an acoustic/classical the big hollow body amplifies the sound you can hear your mistakes. An electric, as a solid body, does not resonate as much, ergo you can't hear all your mistakes.

Further when playing through an amp (especially on a clean channel) you have to ensure that each note is played at the same volume for consistency. Much harder to discern differences in volume on an unplugged electric than when plugged in. That's all that's being said, not that electrics can't be heard unplugged (indeed a good electric should be quite loud, as noted by a previous poster).
I have issues with the input on my guitar, whether it's shorting or something I don't know, anyway long story short it buzzes at certain angles so I play unplugged often so I don't have to put up with finding a sweet spot.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
somehow i always like to practice with earphones on, helps me concentrate.
most of the time i play through my amp, but other times i just play unplugged...
Page 1 of 2