Page 1 of 2
So, there are a few questions I've been contemplating over the past few months, opinion questions, and I'd like to see what other people think about them. This isn't for school or anything, I'm just curious. And try to keep debate to a minimum.

1. What do you think are the quintessential songs of various metal subgenres?

2. If you could form a metal band with anyone you wanted in it, living or dead, who would be in it?

3. Who do you consider to be the most disliked/infamous people in metal?

My answers

1. Paranoid by Black Sabbath for Heavy Metal, Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden for NWOBHM, We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister for Glam Metal, Raining Blood by Slayer for Thrash Metal, Black Metal by Venom for Black Metal, Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse for Death Metal.

2. I'd have Chris Adler (Lamb of God) on drums, Sean Beasley (Dying Fetus) on bass, Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) on guitar, and Christian Alvestam (Solution .45/former Scar Symmetry) on vocals.

3. Varg Vikernes, Dave Mustaine, Lars Ulrich and Phil Anselmo
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Jun 4, 2010,
You're forgetting about Math Metal, Technical Death Metal, Stoner Metal, etc. :P
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Quote by EvoLancer211
You're forgetting about Math Metal, Technical Death Metal, Stoner Metal, etc. :P

And the other like 500 subgenres lol.

1. List would go on too long.

2. Michael Akerfeldt, not sure who else.

3. Probably Gaahl.
Eh. I'll list a few. Evil Dead by Death for Death Metal. I Am The Black Wizards by Emperor for Black metal. Maybe Master of Puppets for thrash, simply cause slayer sucks. I don't feel like going anymore.
2. If you could form a metal band with anyone you wanted in it, living or dead, who would be in it?
Chuck Schuldiner, Paul Masvidal, Alex Webster, Mikael Akerfeldt, Martin Axenrot.

Disliked? I don't really know. Probably all of Bring me the Horizon. Infamous? Gaahl, Varg, Samoth, Jon Nodtveidt
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Eh. I'll list a few. Evil Dead by Death for Death Metal. I Am The Black Wizards by Emperor for Black metal. Maybe Master of Puppets for thrash, simply cause slayer sucks. I don't feel like going anymore.
Chuck Schuldiner, Paul Masvidal, Alex Webster, Mikael Akerfeldt, Martin Axenrot.

Disliked? I don't really know. Probably all of Bring me the Horizon. Infamous? Gaahl, Varg, Samoth, Jon Nodtveidt

Replace Chuck with Devin Townsend, Webster with DiGiorgio and Axe with Reinert and that's got my vote.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
1. OSDM: Autopsy-Charred Remains
Brutal Death: Suffocation-Infecting The Crypts
Tech Deathecrepit Birth-And Time Begins
Traditional Doom: Black Sabbath-S/T
Sludge-Grief-Come To Grief
War Metal:Conqueror-Infinite Majesty
Death/Doom:Autopsy-Slaughterday
too lazy to do more

2. Pete Helmkap(Kerasphoru,Revenge,Angelcorpse,Order From Chaos ect ect)-bass/ vocals
Lord Worm(Cryptopsy) Vocals
Trey Azagthoth(Morbid Angel)-Guitars/backing vocals
Jon Levasseur(Cryptopsy)-Guitars
Chris Reifert(Autopsy,Abscess,The Ravenous,Eat My Fuk ect)-Drums/Vocals

3.Dave Mustaine,what a deuche
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

In just to say...

"Black Metal" by Venom is =/= black metal.

It's proto-thrash.
Philosophy > Life
NWOBHM isn't a genre damnit!

I'm just gonna go other the "extreme genres"

Old School Death Metal - Death - Zombie Ritual
Death Metal - Suffocation - Pierced From Within (i know it's old, but it's still relevent)
Black Metal - Mayhem - Deathcrush
Symphonic Black Metal - Emperor - The Burning Shadows Of Silence
Thrash Metal - Metallica - Battery
Trad. Doom - Candlemass - Solitude
Death Doom - My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun

My band
Vocals - Ville Sorvali
Guitar - Ihsahn
Bass - Sami Hinkka
Drums - Kai Hahto
Keys - Henri Sorvali

I dunno who is the most hated. I can't stand Mustaine, so i'll go with him.
Quote by andyscoot
NWOBHM isn't a genre damnit!

I was just going to post that till i noticed you had. It was clearly a musical movement, or even coincidence. Neal Kay coined the phrase to sort of collectively refer the current British metal bands at the time.

here go's nothing.

keeping to the very basics

Power Metal - Stratovarius - Anthem of the World
Thrash - Dekapitator - Deathstrike Command
Black - Wodensthrone - Heófungtid
Death - Morbid Angel - Blasphemy
Folk - Odroerir - Wanenkrieg
Trad - Black Knight - Dead of Knight
Doom - Warning - Watching from a Distence

Vocals/Guitar (Clean and Harsh) - Niege (Alcest)
Guitar/Vocals - Roman Saenko (Drudkh)
Bass - Ville Sorvali (Moonsorrow)
Synth - Æðelwalh (Fen, up until recently, Wodensthrone)
Drums - Hréowsian (Wodensthrone)

or

Vocals - Pat Walker (Warning)
Guitar - Tony Iommi (Sabbath)
Guitar - Peter Vicar (Reverend Bizarre)
Bass - Leif Edling (Candlemass)
Drums - Earl of Void (Reverend Bizarre)

3. Never really cared tbh.

Traditional-Angel Witch, Angel Witch
Doom-Burn in Hell, Reverend Bizarre
Drone Doom-Alghartha, Sun O)))
Funeral Doom-Yet The Watchers Guard,Thergothon
Gothic Metal-Snow in my hands, My Dying Bride
Speed-Knights of the Cross, Grave Digger
Glam-Unchain the Night, Dokken
Power-Curse of Feanor, Blind Guardian
Black-Secret of the Black Arts,Dark Funeral
Ambient Black-Det Som Engang Var, Burzum
Thrash-A lesson in Violence, Exodus
Crossover Thrash-Institutionalized, Suicidal Tendencies
Sludge-Scream of the Butterfly, Acid Bath
Death-Scream Bloody Gore, Death
Melodic Death-Runes to my Memory, Amon Amarth
Extreme Metal-Curse You all Men!, Emperor
Groove-As the Palace Burns, Lamb of God
Industrial-So What!?, Ministry
Progressive-A Change of Seasons, Dream Theater
Folk-Widars Hallen, Equilibirum
Stoner-Green Machine, Kyuss
Dark-Odal, Agalloch
"modern"Metalcore-My Curse, Killswitch Engage
Deathcore-Dead Stale Endings, Job For a Cowboy

I don't know...

Lars Ulrich, Sharon Osbourne, Rob Dukes, Bob Rock, Dave Mustaine, Phil Anselmo

Quote by MoogleRancha
In just to say...

"Black Metal" by Venom is =/= black metal.

It's proto-thrash.

Says you, but you're wrong. It layed an essential ground work(raw production, incredibly fast songs, occult Imagery, fashion, really rough vocals) which Bathory, Sodom, Mayhem(until DMDS), Beherit and Blasphemy undeniably built upon.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Jun 5, 2010,
Thrash - Slayer - Angel of Death
American Power - Liege Lord - Master Control
European Power - Helloween - I Want Out
Death - Death - Pull the Plug
Traditional Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden - Hallowed be Thy Name
Doom - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Glam - Skid Row - 18 & Life

Vocals - Joacim Cans (though he wouldn't fit with the rest of this lineup, so I'll say David Vincent, AoM era)
Guitar - Chuck Schuldiner
Bass - Alex Webster
Drums - Gene Hoglan

Dave Mustaine
Kerry King
Dimebag
Quote by true_bacon22
Says you, but you're wrong. It layed an essential ground work(raw production, incredibly fast songs, occult Imagery, fashion, really rough vocals) which Bathory, Sodom, Mayhem(until DMDS), Beherit and Blasphemy undeniably built upon.

So by your logic:

1. aesthetics = genre; psychedelic 60s bands were using occult imagery (ie, Arthur Brown). That doesn't make his music black metal. Fashion does not form a genre either.
2. rough vocals automatically translates to black metal when even hard rock in the 60s had what could be considered "rough vocals."
3. raw production was found in a lot of old school metal, even trad.
4. fast =/= BM. Metal was ripping with speed with the likes of the Priest in the 70s already. Not BM.
5. Just because someone laid a groundwork does not make them fit the tenets.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
So by your logic:

1. aesthetics = genre; psychedelic 60s bands were using occult imagery (ie, Arthur Brown). That doesn't make his music black metal. Fashion does not form a genre either.
2. rough vocals automatically translates to black metal when even hard rock in the 60s had what could be considered "rough vocals."
3. raw production was found in a lot of old school metal, even trad.
4. fast =/= BM. Metal was ripping with speed with the likes of the Priest in the 70s already. Not BM.
5. Just because someone laid a groundwork does not make them fit the tenets.

So because some bands have had one of those traits that automatically means Venom aren't black metal? What does it matter if there was a Psychadelic band with rough production(because of the time)? All those aspects put together equal Black Metal, what Psychedelic 60s band used extremely fast, tremolo picked but simple chords, rough vocals, occult/satanic imagery, wore black leather and bullet belts(obviously wearing stuff doesn't make you a genre but) and used purposeful raw production? Sure, Priest were fast but not faster then Venom's black metal, even Motorhead weren't as fast, not that I know of...Hell, if you told anyone to name the genre based off those traits(that Venom undeniably have) they will instantly say Black metal. And if Venom aren't black metal, how are Bathory, Early Sodom, Early Mayhem and Hellhammer black metal either? What do they that makes them more Black Metal then Venom? And if so, what would you define as Black Metal?
Venom aren't black metal.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Anyone who as listened to both venom and a black metal band will tell you venom aren't black metal.

the only reason the genre is called black metal is cause euronymous was a fan. Varg said if it was up to him he wouldn't have called it that as he wasn't a fan of Venom.
@ that bacon guy - Those other first-wave bands you named carry characteristics of thrash, but not to the extent that Venom does. Venom simply does not possess the characteristics of black metal as we know it today. It is simply thrash that people label as black metal because it influenced the extreme metal genre in general. They were extreme, but not black metal. The title of the song and album are very misleading, being that black metal did not exist at that time yet.

The roots of it are there in Venom's aesthetics and musical desires, but does not have the techniques of black metal. Venom does not utilize the compositional methods or instrumental techniques of "true" black metal; I might go so far as to say Venom is proto-black metal because they helped found some of the tenets of the subgenre, but I will NEVER say they are black metal because that just isn't true. Whoopee, Venom scared people with their faux-Satanism and tomfoolery with the occult. That doesn't make them black metal.

What makes black metal black metal is the composition methods and instrumental techniques. Do you honestly think that Venom riffs sound anything other than thrash? Do you honestly believe that just because the album has low production values makes it black metal? Thrash had bad recording quality at the time, too. Metal in general did.

Venom perpetuated the imagery and aesthetics, but NOT THE TECHNIQUES of black metal.

You're also utilizing a terrible technique of argumentation: "everybody says it, therefore it is true." Just because people decide to agree with you doesn't make you right, does it?

For me, proto-black metal (ie. the first-wavers) are nothing but thrash pushing the envelope a little further with more bleak and evil aesthetics.

tl;dr Venom is not black metal because they were simply thrash.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Anyone who as listened to both venom and a black metal band will tell you venom aren't black metal.

the only reason the genre is called black metal is cause euronymous was a fan. Varg said if it was up to him he wouldn't have called it that as he wasn't a fan of Venom.

I mostly listen to Black metal, so no. And Varg can't tell his ass from an elbow when it comes to Black Metal. He said Belus wasn't Black metal either
Quote by true_bacon22
I mostly listen to Black metal, so no. And Varg can't tell his ass from an elbow when it comes to Black Metal. He said Belus wasn't Black metal either

you really think these black metal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE--ehEUg5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbldM7JEIeE

what about them could be considered black metal?

and your missing the point with the second bit, I was mearly pointing out why black metal is called black metal.
Quote by MoogleRancha
@ that bacon guy - Those other first-wave bands you named carry characteristics of thrash, but not to the extent that Venom does. Venom simply does not possess the characteristics of black metal as we know it today. It is simply thrash that people label as black metal because it influenced the extreme metal genre in general. They were extreme, but not black metal. The title of the song and album are very misleading, being that black metal did not exist at that time yet.

The roots of it are there in Venom's aesthetics and musical desires, but does not have the techniques of black metal. Venom does not utilize the compositional methods or instrumental techniques of "true" black metal; I might go so far as to say Venom is proto-black metal because they helped found some of the tenets of the subgenre, but I will NEVER say they are black metal because that just isn't true. Whoopee, Venom scared people with their faux-Satanism and tomfoolery with the occult. That doesn't make them black metal.

What makes black metal black metal is the composition methods and instrumental techniques. Do you honestly think that Venom riffs sound anything other than thrash? Do you honestly believe that just because the album has low production values makes it black metal? Thrash had bad recording quality at the time, too. Metal in general did.

Venom perpetuated the imagery and aesthetics, but NOT THE TECHNIQUES of black metal.

You're also utilizing a terrible technique of argumentation: "everybody says it, therefore it is true." Just because people decide to agree with you doesn't make you right, does it?

For me, proto-black metal (ie. the first-wavers) are nothing but thrash pushing the envelope a little further with more bleak and evil aesthetics.

tl;dr Venom is not black metal because they were simply thrash.

From what I've gathered, you're more or less denying them their Black metal title because there are bands that do it to a more extreme variant, with that logic Metallica aren't thrash because Slayer are thrashier. But what ARE these techniques? You keep saying they don't have these ambiguous traits yet you don't actually explain what they are either. I don't have a problem calling them Early Black metal either, but denying them as Black Metal because future bands pushed it forward is pretty dumb to me. Sure, singing about Satan and wearing Bullets doesn't make you anything but I think the main idea behind Black Metal was to make metal that represents and sounds like the dark and evil side of humanity, and Venom as of the rest of Black metal surely fit that, Venom are just a milder variant. So you believe that Bathory, early Sodom etc are just thrash, yet many people making similar arguments to you say those bands are black metal, yet I can't say Bathory are any more BM then Venom.
Venom aren't Black Metal.

EDIT: I don't think i've ever heard Sodom be called Black Metal either. Influential on the genre? Yes. Black Metal? No
I'd say the first few Sodom releases were definetly proto-Black Metal, perhaps even full-on BM. Not Venom though.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
When i listen to Sodom, aside from vocals, i don't get much of a Black Metal vibe.
Quote by true_bacon22
From what I've gathered, you're more or less denying them their Black metal title because there are bands that do it to a more extreme variant, with that logic Metallica aren't thrash because Slayer are thrashier. But what ARE these techniques? You keep saying they don't have these ambiguous traits yet you don't actually explain what they are either. I don't have a problem calling them Early Black metal either, but denying them as Black Metal because future bands pushed it forward is pretty dumb to me. Sure, singing about Satan and wearing Bullets doesn't make you anything but I think the main idea behind Black Metal was to make metal that represents and sounds like the dark and evil side of humanity, and Venom as of the rest of Black metal surely fit that, Venom are just a milder variant. So you believe that Bathory, early Sodom etc are just thrash, yet many people making similar arguments to you say those bands are black metal, yet I can't say Bathory are any more BM then Venom.

For one, no. It's not because somebody "pushed it further." It's because Venom IS SIMPLY THRASH. Metallica is no less thrash than Slayer, but Venom is less black metal than say Burzum because they don't fit in the genre at all, aside from production values and aesthetics.

The techniques I feel don't need to be stated simply because they are obvious. Just listen to Venom and tell me that it HONESTLY sounds like black metal. I don't think you can. That would be silly, especially being that you said you mostly listen to black metal.

Bathory isn't more BM than Venom because they are both very similar in their compositional methods and techniques. Both extreme in their attempts, but are thrash through and through. Bathory's later material became more black metal-edged, but was never truly black metal in the sense of technique. Rather, they helped propel the genre because of compositional ideals.

Venom simply aided in aesthetics and, as you said, "representing the dark side of humanity." A lot of metal does that without being black metal. Hell, a lot of classical music does that. Is it black metal?

You resort again to what other people are arguing. Read what I'm saying instead of your biased notions of the majority.

I'm not denying Venom helped with the black metal movement, but they're not black metal. Rock helped the metal movement. That doesn't make The Who metal. This is why we classify things on a more microcosmic scale so the differences are more apparent and obvious. Laying the framework of a genre or its aesthetics does not make that kind of music fit the schema.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
For one, no. It's not because somebody "pushed it further." It's because Venom IS SIMPLY THRASH. Metallica is no less thrash than Slayer, but Venom is less black metal than say Burzum because they don't fit in the genre at all, aside from production values and aesthetics.

The techniques I feel don't need to be stated simply because they are obvious. Just listen to Venom and tell me that it HONESTLY sounds like black metal. I don't think you can. That would be silly, especially being that you said you mostly listen to black metal.

Bathory isn't more BM than Venom because they are both very similar in their compositional methods and techniques. Both extreme in their attempts, but are thrash through and through. Bathory's later material became more black metal-edged, but was never truly black metal in the sense of technique. Rather, they helped propel the genre because of compositional ideals.

Venom simply aided in aesthetics and, as you said, "representing the dark side of humanity." A lot of metal does that without being black metal. Hell, a lot of classical music does that. Is it black metal?

You resort again to what other people are arguing. Read what I'm saying instead of your biased notions of the majority.

I'm not denying Venom helped with the black metal movement, but they're not black metal. Rock helped the metal movement. That doesn't make The Who metal. This is why we classify things on a more microcosmic scale so the differences are more apparent and obvious. Laying the framework of a genre or its aesthetics does not make that kind of music fit the schema.

If I put Venom up next against Exodus then put it up against Carpathian Forest, I find way more similarities to CF then Exodus, in all honesty. What!? How can you say Bathory become more black meta! Blood Fire Death was probably their last BM record and even then leaned way more towards Thrash then previous material. After that Bathory became a Viking Metal band, the only thing having in common with early work being extreme vocals. It doesn't work like that, I mean trying to be the living, breathing pure musical output of Satan/Darkness/Evil Flying Sphagetthi monster using heavy metal. I understand that is a fairly subjective idea though...

What do you mean I resort to what other people are arguing? I haven't based any of my opinions and views on what other people say, I'm trying to draw some information from you as to find a way we could possibly reach equilibrium. I bring up the Venom vs the rest of the EBMS it's due to me seeing plenty of people who deny Venoms black metal status, yet would scoff if someone called Bathory anything but black metal(their pre-Hammerheart work obviously), I know you also consider Bathory thrash, but you are fairly rare in that you deny the entire EBMS's black metalness.

I understand that, but that's where I disagree, I think venom do live up to the structural and technical aspects of Black metal. To be honest, I haven't fully explained my opinion on Venom and BM, I do believe Venom can be considered a black metal band, in my honest opinion, I label them as Black/Thrash. Of course they have thrash elements, but I think that considering Black metal has a fairly loose desctripta, it leaves a lot of bands that could be considered other genres as being viable as Black Metal too. To me, Beherit and most Beastial Black Metal bands like Morbosidad just sound a lot like really rough Death metal, but I find enough commonalities between them and the common descriptions of Black metal that they also fit the BM monkier as well and nobody argues that. Also let me ask, since you obviously do consider Burzum Black Metal, what is your opinion on the Burzum song War? Do you consider it black metal?
ok man.. let's compare a Venom song to songs off of some defining black metal releases...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE--ehEUg5I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zAZeyCIqO4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiRPXCtmsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58o17dnB6hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pX1sy8Ib0

do you REALLY not see how completely different Venom is from all of these defining black metal songs?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
ok man.. let's compare a Venom song to songs off of some defining black metal releases...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE--ehEUg5I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zAZeyCIqO4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiRPXCtmsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58o17dnB6hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pX1sy8Ib0

do you REALLY not see how completely different Venom is from all of these defining black metal songs?

I like how you stick to a regional scene. I could put a bunch of the NWOBHM bands up against Sabbath's non-Doom material and they would sound pretty different as well. So, how about instead of sticking to one section we go all over the place shall we?

Let's start with Venom, obviously. Just for everyones sake, will use Black Metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmzFVDjVnM

Lets get a Norwegian band for fun, I said I found similarities to Carpathian Forest, so here's that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq4s-sr3E3A

Sounds fairly similar.

How about, mmmmm, Masters Hammer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxJlnTze-0o

Take out the synths and you got a rockin Bm band like Venom.

What abouutt, ah, Archgoat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45CP5qJfnI

The only really separating aspect from Venom being Blast Beats.

That's the thing, Black Metal is a fairly diverse sounding genre when it comes to scenes, so you can't just compare a bunch of guys who hung out together 24/7, influencing each other along the way and as to create fairly similar music.
But second-wave Norweigan BM is pretty much the archetype for BM.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah, I used the Norwegian scene of the early 90's because they pretty much created everything that black metal is and should be.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by eazy-c
But second-wave Norweigan BM is pretty much the archetype for BM.

There's plenty of BM from before Norway which have been fairly influential(that aren't said proto-BM bands) that sound nothing like the Norwegians such as Blasphemy, Tormentor and Root.
Quote by true_bacon22
I like how you stick to a regional scene. I could put a bunch of the NWOBHM bands up against Sabbath's non-Doom material and they would sound pretty different as well. So, how about instead of sticking to one section we go all over the place shall we?

NWOBHM isnt a genre though, Maiden, Venom, Witchfinder General and Praying Mantis are all part of the NWOBHM movement, but sound nothing alike. It was just a new wave of bands that had come though at a similar time that were British, thats the only thing they all shared. There's no NWOBHM sound or characteristic's.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
NWOBHM isnt a genre though, Maiden, Venom, Witchfinder General and Praying Mantis are all part of the NWOBHM movement, but sound nothing alike. It was just a new wave of bands that had come though at a similar time that were British, thats the only thing they all shared. There's no NWOBHM sound or characteristic's.

There is definitely a NWOBHM sound amongst the Trad bands(Obviously Venom and Witchfinder General wouldn't sound like Maiden as they aren't full on Trad), just not enough to define it out of Traditional Heavy metal genre. I can easily here how Angel Witch, early Iron Maiden and Saxon fit under a certain region, just the same the Norwegians don't sound like the French bands.
It dosen't have it's own sound. It was a movement, not a genre. Any metal band from a certain time are NWOBHM.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
So the 5 bands I listed all have a similar sound and style?

I just told you, it only really translates for the traditional metal bands. Obviously Venom and WFG aren't going to sound the same as they are from different entire genres. If we compared, early Maiden, Angel Witch and Saxon there are definitely a common sound which separates them from previous bands, probably because there is a more prominent punk influence. Regional sounds definitely exist. Think, the Norweigans don't sound like the Fins, or why the Bay Areas don't sound like the Germans and why the Florideath sound *GASP*, not like the Swedish death metal bands.
They're different genres, but they're still NWOBHM, because it was a movement involving ALL British Metal bands at the time, regardless of genre.
Quote by andyscoot
They're different genres, but they're still NWOBHM, because it was a movement involving ALL British Metal bands at the time, regardless of genre.

Okay, but I'm saying that only the Trad bands sound a like, those are bands that represent the NWOBHM as a sound like how Dismember represent the Swed Death scene, Venom and Witchfinder got lumped, as we've said, because they were a metal band in England in the 80s despite not sounding like the Trad bands such as the ones I've mentioned. They shouldn't be though.
Quote by true_bacon22
Okay, but I'm saying that only the Trad bands sound a like, those are bands that represent the NWOBHM as a sound like how Dismember represent the Swed Death scene, Venom and Witchfinder got lumped, as we've said, because they were a metal band in England in the 80s despite not sounding like the Trad bands such as the ones I've mentioned. They shouldn't be though.

But thats the point, the trad metal bands were trad metal bands, Venom and WFG were whatever were calling them.
But NWOBHM is a term used not to describe the genre or the sound, yes the trad NWOBHM bands sounded alike, cause they were Trad metal bands that where part of the NWOBHM. It was literally jsut a term coined by Neal Kay to refer to the current crop of British metal bands.
1) Classic Metal - Judas Priest - Electric Eye
Thrash Metal - Megadeth - Rust in Peace... Polaris
Power Metal - Dawn of Victory - Rhapsody of Fire
Black Metal - Emperor - I am the Black Wizards
Death Metal - Cynic - Celestial Voyage

2)i'm not into making dream bands. it's hard enough to get people to actually work well together for any length of time, so its clear that most dream bands would never work.

3) Most hated? take your pick amongst the church burners/murderers/etc. of Black Metal!
Page 1 of 2