Hey guys. I'm new in this department I must say. I've been working on electric guitar for about 5 years or so and I play in a rock band and blah blah blah it's all great but about a year ago I got fixated with classical pieces and Dominic Miller particularly. I've been learning on my electic but I'd like a proper classical guitar to play with. I'd like to spend around £300 but it's no problem going higher cause I can just save longer. But I am a completely lost in classical guitars... when I go into guitar shops there's hundreds of em and I don't even know where to start. So just throw some names and suggestions out there and I'd be very appreciative. Thanks
Antonio Lorca is a very highly regarded classical guitar maker. I personally have the model 14 which I bought for around AUS$600 so just convert that to pounds. The rest of the models are similar in tone but their feel is quite different.

But in the end classical guitar, like electric I guess, is %40 quality and %60 feel. Do not buy it solely on the fact that somebody reccomended it to you. Try it out, and even if you love the feel of it, go try some more similar models and completely different models.

Also ask the staff at the shop what they believe to be a good maker. The staff at shops are as passionate as us about instruments and won't try to trick you into spending more than you should.
Quote by Feaksy
Antonio Lorca is a very highly regarded classical guitar maker. I personally have the model 14 which I bought for around AUS$600 so just convert that to pounds. The rest of the models are similar in tone but their feel is quite different.

But in the end classical guitar, like electric I guess, is %40 quality and %60 feel. Do not buy it solely on the fact that somebody reccomended it to you. Try it out, and even if you love the feel of it, go try some more similar models and completely different models.

Also ask the staff at the shop what they believe to be a good maker. The staff at shops are as passionate as us about instruments and won't try to trick you into spending more than you should.

Thanks! I just like to have a few specific manufacturers I can look into when I go into the shop, they tend to get irritated if you start trying more than 3 or 4 guitars...
Last edited by reevax at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by reevax
Thanks! I just like to have a few specific manufacturers I can look into when I go into the shop, they tend to get irritated if you start trying more than 3 or 4 guitars. Any brands I should stay away from particularly?

Not really. Classical guitar, in a way, is sort of a sacred instrument so there isn't many dodgy ones out there, like fake fenders or gibsons. Classical guitars are always hand-made so the quality is always excellent. Basically the guitar isn't going to last the distance if it's below £200. A classical guitar will peak at around 3 years usually.

Antonio Lorca is definitely what I would reccomend looking at. But leave it to other UG members and the shop staff to suggest others. If you want to take the time and effort, make a visit to a local performing arts academy or high school and ask the classical guitar tutors there.
Thanks guys. I reckon I'll just go to every guitar shop in the area and try as many as I can get away with. Is there a sort of point where the money stops making a huge difference to a beginner? Is a cap of about £500 a decent headroom?
Hey reevax,

I am curious to hear what you come across. I am looking to get a classical at around the same price. I have been looking at the different guitar forums online and so far I have heard a lot about Yamaha and LaPatrie. Specifically, the Yamaha Cg151c or (s) looks to be really good value - apparently with great sound (about 235 pounds was the lowest price I came across).

They're solid tops - you can get either cedar (hence c) or spruce. I think the cedar guitars sound nicer as they have a bit of a warmer, flamenco sound to them. I have a nice acoustic yamaha which has a lovely sound, but I only had a cheapy (gracia) classical which I had in Argentina.

I hate going into guitar stores cause they treat you like crap (in general - not always) unless you're buying something expensive, nevermind the fact that sub 500euro guitars must be their bread an butter.

Anyway - good luck with your hunting. I'd be curious to know what you play and how they sound.
Hey, thanks. I'm heading into a couple of guitar shops tomorrow to look around, I'll check a few out and let you know. But yeah, the tend to get irritated as soon as the realise you're not buying a guitar that day... One of the local shops is really nice though and the people are actually helpful. They have one of those Yamaha's at the shop, I checked online so I'll give it a go.
Excellent - I am interested to see what you find. I plan on going looking myself when I head to England next week.
Kremona Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC is what I have and it's the best 800 bucks I've spent. It's one of the best guitars in the price range, but make sure to try before you buy. When it comes to classical guitars it is so important to hear and feel in person because of how different guitars will sound and feel.