Allright, so actually writing a good riff, I just can't seem to do it I mean yeah D F C G sounds nice enough but there's nothing special about it and I just can't seem to get a rif that does have something special about it! Any help please? Thanks guys
Do you want a riff or a chord progression?
For riffs just noodle around on the guitar until you find something you like,its hard to find riffs that sound unique,when you find something you like write it down asap I made up a cool riff one time and forgot it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by mr banana yeah
Allright, so actually writing a good riff, I just can't seem to do it I mean yeah D F C G sounds nice enough but there's nothing special about it and I just can't seem to get a rif that does have something special about it! Any help please? Thanks guys

You have to have the "special" inside you.

You have to have enough experience as a player & listener to be able to express that "special" thing.

suggestion....

Listen to, learn, study, memorize, play and enjoy music. Allow yourself the time it takes to develop.

When you have enough experience you can start being creative.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 4, 2010,
My suggestion is just take a chord progression (like yours) and then fiddle around with the actual notes of that chord until you find something
Quote by The_Sophist
Special doesn't matter in classic rock, sounding good does.

Thats what I'm talking about... Shit four chord riffs don't sound good that's why I made the damn thread, so that I can get a bit of advise!
Quote by mr banana yeah
Thats what I'm talking about... Shit four chord riffs don't sound good that's why I made the damn thread, so that I can get a bit of advise!

It's not the chords, it's what you do with them.

listen to & learn music
get ideas
write music

It's not a shortcut, it's not step by step instructions...... but when you get the music in you... you'll be able to express yourself with it.

Spend some time in "input" mode.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 9, 2010,