Page 1 of 5
Theres this kid down the road, his name is Ryan. His birthday is coming up (June 20th). His family is extremely poor, they live in this really sh*t appartment. He's really interested in guitar and I think I'm gonna buy him a Squire or maybe something a little cheaper... His parents are really good friends of mine, I have talked to them and they say that it's okay with them. I really want to help this kid. What should I get him thats fairly cheap but is actually playable? Something under 200 bucks... I know nothing about low-end guitars as you can tell so help me out!
Last edited by HeavyMetalDude1 at Jun 4, 2010,
The parents will hate you because it's so unintentionally patronising - don't do it.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by therealtater
I think you can get a squire starter kit for about 200 actually I would go with that

Which one? The strat or the tele? And it comes with the fender amp right?
TS, talk to his parents about it first, unless you want to go down the "special friend" route, where the kid will eventually tell someone what you're doing with the aid of dolls.
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
Why? I'll teach him and everything...

Because they will take it as 'you can't afford this, but I can' and feel as if your just pointing out your better off than them. Being poor is a really touchy subject and buying gifts for someone out of pity as it will seem is aggravating no matter how good your intentions.

Ya for 200 bucks or so. Epiphone has one as well for about the same.
And no his parents won't be pissed at you.
Yer a good guy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by metallicafan616
Because they will take it as 'you can't afford this, but I can' and feel as if your just pointing out your better off than them. Being poor is a really touchy subject and buying gifts for someone out of pity as it will seem is aggravating no matter how good your intentions.

Only if you're a pretentious asshole. Are you?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Aw cool, I'm into grooming too!
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Yeah it is.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Jackal58
Ya for 200 bucks or so. Epiphone has one as well for about the same.
And no his parents won't be pissed at you.
Yer a good guy.

Thanks for backing me up man... I think the strat is better. I've played low-end Epiphones before and they dont even stay in tune.
What age are you both?
I'd recommend a Epi myself, If he likes rock you have to get humbuckers.
I don't think they'd feel so bad if it was second hand.
talking to them is a good idea, you could maybe even persuade them to pay if it's a second hand guitar.
You should let him learn some chords/riffs on your guitar first, to guage his interest.
You gotta know your investment is going to be worthwhile
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Jackal58
Only if you're a pretentious asshole. Are you?

No. My parents are, for instance they were incredibly angry at my dad when he bought me a cheap guitar when I was 12 because they couldn't afford it. They also refuse to get financial aid from the school for trips etc because of their pride. My point still stands.

Quote by metallicafan616

You d*ck...
Quote by metallicafan616
No. My parents are, for instance they were incredibly angry at my dad when he bought me a cheap guitar when I was 12 because they couldn't afford it. They also refuse to get financial aid from the school for trips etc because of their pride. My point still stands.

Dude, if you get handouts, you take them. You must be in the retarded class or something.
find a used guitar + amp combo for sale in a newspaper on on CL or something. its really hard to get a new guitar and amp for 200, unless you're going for acoustic. As for parents, i dont think they will mind you getting their kid a guitar, I come from a poor family and we love getting free crap
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
If you're going to buy him one tell him you already had it. Less patronizing that way..

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by metallicafan616

I wouldn't base the entire world on your parents actions. Most people appreciate a good deed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Dude if he really gets into guitar he'll start GASing and then he'll demand expensive gear the more he plays which will put financial stress on his family.

...buy him a video game or console
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
You d*ck...

Excuse me, but most people don't like being perceived as needing charity, I'm just pointing that out for you as it could be good advice.

EDIT: jackal, that's a good point - but he still should see if the parents are ok with it first in case.

Talk to his parents to see if it's ok first. Since they're good friends it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Quote by Nameless742
What age are you both?
I'd recommend a Epi myself, If he likes rock you have to get humbuckers.
I don't think they'd feel so bad if it was second hand.
talking to them is a good idea, you could maybe even persuade them to pay if it's a second hand guitar.
You should let him learn some chords/riffs on your guitar first, to guage his interest.
You gotta know your investment is going to be worthwhile

He's learning right now on my dkmg. He's actually pretty good... I have talked to them about it. They took it nicely.
Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
Thanks for backing me up man... I think the strat is better. I've played low-end Epiphones before and they dont even stay in tune.

They usually need some set up work but after that they stay together ok. Either way the kid won't know what "in tune" is for a while any ways.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes It is a good deed and I'm sure the parents would be happy for you to buy it... saying that seeing as you're close to them I'd advice asking them before because buying something valuable (and loud!) might be something awkward to spring upon them... it would just be polite.

But I hear the Yamaha Pacifica is the best of the entry level electric guitars.
I think metallicafan does have a point. Pride is a big thing to some people; even if it is a little petty. I would strongly suggest you talk to the parents about it first - chances are, they'll be happy and grateful, and all will be well. But at least gauge a reaction first.
You are a good person sir.
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
If youre going to buy him a guitar from a store, look in the clearence section. There can be some pretty nice guitars there for really cheap. If there is one near you, look in a Music Go Round store.
Quote by Jackal58
They usually need some set up work but after that they stay together ok. Either way the kid won't know what "in tune" is for a while any ways.

Yeh, true... He is learning with me though at the moment. He comes over every thursday and i teach him simple chords...
Having come from a family where we had to heat our shower water on the stove because our water heater went out because we couldn't pay the gas bill, I would say talk to the parents first.

And you should try to explain it to them as "I would like someone else to jam with, I think he could be really good, he seems to have a real passion for it" rather than "I would like to buy it for him because you don't have money".

If they are proud people, then you're going to have trouble with it either way, but I think that my suggestion would help the process either way. Anyhow, you know them better than we do, so I hope things go well!
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

Quote by HeavyMetalDude1
Dude, if you get handouts, you take them. You must be in the retarded class or something.

This, and what jackal said aswell Seriously, what kind of a person gets mad at someone for giving them a present? First time i've heard of that.
Quote by FullTimeFreak
If youre going to buy him a guitar from a store, look in the clearence section. There can be some pretty nice guitars there for really cheap. If there is one near you, look in a Music Go Round store.

I'm Canadian...
Not a guitar, then he'll be poor and a little turd.

I can't think of one person whom guitar didn't turn into one.

Myself included.

edit: On a serious note, what's all this shit about amp combos?! Get him an acoustic!
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
This, and what jackal said aswell Seriously, what kind of a person gets mad at someone for giving them a present? First time i've heard of that.

i know, what a small minded as*hole
Page 1 of 5