hi i was interested in buying a distortion pedal but not too sure which ones are good i was looking a boss pedal as i have heard they are quite good but i really don't know which ones are. I'm looking for quite a relatively cheapish one.
thanks
I'm Full Of Artificial Sweetener
Actual budget? Musical style?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i kind of like all types of music basically rock and i would be prepared to spend no more than £50
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at a boss ds-1 and do a keeley mod to it

i have been looking at the DS-2 and they don't seem too expensive are they in anyway better than the DS-1?
i got an awesome deal Boss Metalzone Mt-2 and Classic Cry Baby Wah brand new in packaging $200 australian
Quote by valennic
They'll rape you in 6 different directions till sunday...and then eat you.

TBH Boss makes great pedals, but i think overdrives and distortions are really their biggest weak point. My suggestion would be to try and find some kind of EXH Little Big Muff or an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer.

I owned a Boss DS-1 and OD-3 and neither one of them really gave me the full warmth I was looking for. Once I got a TS9 I was so much happier with my tone. If you can afford it look at ths TS9DX or even the critically acclaimed TS808. Some people might tell you the Maxon Clones of the Ibanez pedals are better, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference.

Also my buddies Big Muff sounds fantastic, actually works decent for bass to.
digitech hardwire metal distortion

http://www.hardwirepedals.com/tl2-metal-distortion-overview.php

i dont know if hardwire is owned by digitech anymore...
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
You're not going to get anything great for £50, but find a used Boss DS-1. The stock DS-1's IMO are really bad, so find a cheap DS-1 and mod it.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
tonerider british distortion. it's pretty good. about as good as you're going to get for £50, anyway. does sound a wee bit metallic, and it's pretty high gain, but it's a nice pedal. Put it like this, i store my boss pedals in their boxes. the tonerider one is still on my board.

what amp are you going to be running it through? what kind of distortion tone are you after- marshall/hot rod marshall?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
done get the boss ds-1/2. actually dont get any boss distortion pedal. they suck unless u mod them.

with that budget, u wont get a nice dist pedal. increase ur budget a bit and get a digitech hardwire sc-2 valve distortion or a ProCo Rat.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
honestly the only good boss distortion pedal that i've heard good things about is the Blues Driver, and even that i've been told really isn't that great.
thanks for all the advise.

i wasn't looking for a completely amazing pedal just something that's going to give me a good/ok sound because i'm not going to use it a lot and i never wanted to spend a lot on it as i am learning to drive i would rather spend my money on lessons tbh.
Effect pedals are just that, effects. It's you who creates music so don't expect too much and don't be afraid to experiment either. BOSS pedals are sturdy and well designed units, you can't go wrong with most of them. As long as you hear the desired tone in your head clearly, it's just a matter of tinkering to get there with your equipment.

Choose one: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?search=1&k=distortion&m=---+search+by+manufacturer+---&t=Stomp+Boxes&x=16&y=9&c=FX%2FPedals&s=

The Muff is something between a fuzz and a distortion, then there's the Proco Rat, they are rather on the gritty side, the BOSS DS pedals are somewhat smoother. But you can get pretty similar tones out of them.
Last edited by Tinderwet at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by rubberduck22222

They're fuzzes. They'll give you an unique, thick, bassy, muffled, and, erm, fuzzy tone. These tend to be very special sounding and not useful for everything. Don't get one unless you want that sound.

Also, why are you getting a dist. pedal in the first place? What about your amp's distortion?
Quote by Jyrgen
Also, why are you getting a dist. pedal in the first place? What about your amp's distortion?

i am currently using my old crappy marshall mg 30dfx amp because something has happened to my peavey vypyr amp and it's now not working so i have been looking for a distortion pedal.
It won't probably be much of a change. Save for a new amp, sell the MG to a starter
you should definitely save you're money for some kind of tube amp. no matter how many effects you have in front of it, the MG, or really an solid state amp isn't really going to sound good.
Quote by handbanana
...really an solid state amp isn't really going to sound good.

I don't think that's true.
on what basis? i'm sick of people trying to tell me that they can get an amazing tone out of solid state, but fact is you can't. Sure they make good solid state amps, but they still won't compare to any GOOD TUBE AMP

seriously name me professional artists that use solid state amps, any?
Quote by rubberduck22222
i am currently using my old crappy marshall mg 30dfx amp because something has happened to my peavey vypyr amp and it's now not working so i have been looking for a distortion pedal.

What happened to the vypyr? I might be buying one soon(tube version) but I'm doubting their reliability
Last edited by Sme11thegl0ve at Jun 5, 2010,
only thing you might not liek about the vypyr amp is that it's a modeling amp, keep that in mind. The valveking might be a better choice
what type of distortion tone do you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by handbanana

seriously name me professional artists that use solid state amps, any?
Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Prince did for a short time, various people have while going through Whitesnake. I guess you have to say Dimebag, though personally I do think he had an awful tone. B.B. King has used them on occasion, though he'll use anything. Virtually every professional jazz musician you could name from the '70s onwards uses solid state amps (often with active pickups, believe it or not).

Solid state amps have a bad rep because most of the solid state amps people come across are cheap beginner amps. But the few high-quality solid state amps there are can sound really, really good. No valve amp will get better sparkling clean tones than a good solid state amp and no valve amp will ever quite manage the most extreme distortion like a solid state amp will either, not least because of all the excess background noise a valve amplifier will generate while the solid state will remain very quiet no matter how hard you drive it. This is why heavy metal and alternative metal 300w behemoths like the Line 6 HD147 exist and also why a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus will set you back close to a grand.

I'm not saying this means all solid state amps should be given a chance, there are definitely some that are crap. But it's equally silly to write off the technology as a whole too. For jazz there is simply nothing better than a good solid state amp and they certainly have their place within metal too. I could easily present you with some songs where you wouldn't be able to tell if it was a valve or a solid state amp being used. Hell I'm borrowing an HD147 at the moment alongside my usual Peavy class A valve amp, give me a day and I can record solid state modelling vs class A all-valve tradition and I think you'll be hard-pressed to tell which amp is which, other than the valve amp picks up a lot of static and other background noise and makes a helluva noise when I change guitars.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I just get annoyed when kids on here try to tell me a Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Spider, Crate MX15, or a Marshall MG is going to sound better than most tube amps. I'll certainly give you the benefet of the doubt that there are a few good solid state amps, but the ratio of good solid state amps to good tube amps is pretty drastic.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 5, 2010,