Just bought myself one of these beauties, http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0262600521. Looks like it is great value for money, should be coming on Monday so looking forward to seeing what this axe can do.

Stock pickups are a seymour duncan pearly gates at the bridge, and a seymour duncan 59 at the neck. I think I will definitely keep the 59 in the neck as I hear it is great for cleans, chords, and blues. I'm looking for a great metal pickup in the bridge though, something that will get me close to that classic hetfield chunky rhythm sound. Any advice for the bridge pickup?

What are the pearly gates like, are they any good for metal?

I have had guitars in the past with EMG 81's in the bridge and they were very nice, and I had a tele in the past with fender enforcer pickups they were really nice and very high output, a good all rounder and a bit more natural sounding than the EMG's, but they don't make these anymore it seems.
How much did you pay for it? These used to be going around for around 600~700 buck before. I believe they are made in Korea. I think there was a very limited USA edition but I m not entirely sure on that.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
How much did you pay for it? These used to be going around for around 600~700 buck before. I believe they are made in Korea. I think there was a very limited USA edition but I m not entirely sure on that.

Paid £580 for it around $850 i suppose, yeh they were made in Korea although they have moved production to Indonesia now, still very good craftsmanship though i hear. Anyone got any advice on a good bridge pickup for the sound i'm after?
Wow, that would kill a traditionalist with just one look
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Dunno about the Pearly Gates but why dont you play with it for a week or two before even start think of pickup swap? Chances are that you will like the sound it gives.

If you absolutely have to change pickup later then I recommend a Seymour Duncan JB, Custom-5 or Custom Custom to the bridge. Seymour Duncan website has quite accurate sound sample on them. Go check it out and pick your fav. All of them will be able to pair with the 59 on the bridge for great versatility.

Edit: I mean 59 on the "neck"
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by hminh87
Dunno about the Pearly Gate but why dont you play with it for a week or two before even start thinking of pickup swap? Chances are that you will like the sound it gives.

If you absolutely have to change pickup later then I recommend a Seymour Duncan JB, Custom-5 or Custom Custom to the bridge. Seymour Duncan website has quite accurate sound sample on them. Go check it out and pick your fav. All of them will be able to pair with the 59 on the bridge for great versatility.

Yeh I will probably do that, the reviews i have read so far seem to agree that it sounds pretty good as stock but i like my high output pickups. I guess i could take a liking to them, I was disappointed to see the fender enforcer pickups had been discontinued though, i wonder why? To me it was a great fat sounding 24k pickup without the muddiness that most high outputs give.
Had one of these, nothing short of an incredible guitar. Still kicking myself hard for selling it but why do you want to swap pickups without even having it the pickups in it are incredible, very fat sound. Bridge can do metal no problem, neck warms up a bit and coil splits on top of that.
seymour duncan JB if you wnna kill that things a tone a lil bit a duncan distortion would be an okay choice, Seymour duncan custom and custom custom (creative name, right?) are also good viable choices for a 59 in the neck
Eh.
The Pearly Gates can do metal tones if your amp is up to the job. People seem to think that getting a higher output pickup will give them some sort of better distorted tone - actually it will do bugger-all. Most people don't play in such a way or set their amps up to take advantage of the pickups' output anyway, and the difference in terms of how hard a ''high'' output pickup hits the front end of your amp really isn't much. A DC resistance of 18.5k may look like it's going to do a lot more than a pickup that checks out at 7.7k, but in reality it makes about as much differences as taking a screwdriver and raising the height of the weaker pickup by about 1.3mm. Output really doesn't have anywhere even remotely close to the effect on your tone that a lot of people think it does. It effects how well your tone is preserved through effect chains and long cables much more than it effects how your amp reacts.

The natural response of the Pearly Gates is actually bang-on what most people want for a chunky, precise metal tone (not death metal or thrash of course, but I mean Iron Maiden, Metallica, older Megadeth, etc). The fact that it is ''only'' medium output means sod-all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Pearly Gates can do metal tones if your amp is up to the job. People seem to think that getting a higher output pickup will give them some sort of better distorted tone - actually it will do bugger-all. Most people don't play in such a way or set their amps up to take advantage of the pickups' output anyway, and the difference in terms of how hard a ''high'' output pickup hits the front end of your amp really isn't much. A DC resistance of 18.5k may look like it's going to do a lot more than a pickup that checks out at 7.7k, but in reality it makes about as much differences as taking a screwdriver and raising the height of the weaker pickup by about 1.3mm. Output really doesn't have anywhere even remotely close to the effect on your tone that a lot of people think it does. It effects how well your tone is preserved through effect chains and long cables much more than it effects how your amp reacts.

The natural response of the Pearly Gates is actually bang-on what most people want for a chunky, precise metal tone (not death metal or thrash of course, but I mean Iron Maiden, Metallica, older Megadeth, etc). The fact that it is ''only'' medium output means sod-all.

That is all 100% correct

BUT

Alnico 2 magnets usually have a tendency to go in lower output pickups, and ceramic magnets have a tendency go in high output pickups. And alnico 2s sound too "soft" for metal (a little more modern than say iron maiden) to my ears. Ironically, one notable exception is the Pearly Gates bridge, because it has some bite to it. It's really down to personal preference and the individual pickup.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Eh, I find alnico II are alright with any reasonable metal tones. Of course I'm not talking about really modern, ultra-distorted, black metal stuff, but ''classic metal'' tones are fine.

People often forget that most of the legendary tones in metal weren't made with ceramic or active pickups into a Mesa triple rectifier. Most of them were done with mid-output alnico II/V passive pickups into heavily overdriven Marshall and Orange mid-gain amps with a fairly clean boost pedal in front. even in the '80s, mid-output passive pickups in traditional guitars through traditional amps was the way most tracks were recorded. It wasn't really until about 1988/1989 that active picks and high-gain amps really took off in terms of what was actually used on the album recordings themselves.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Congrats. I was drooling over this guitar a week or two ago on GC.com. We'll need pics when you get it, of course.
Quote by handbanana
what kind of sound does the spalted maple give it?

It's a veneer, so it really doesn't effect the tone much. Very nice guitar, though.

Quote by hminh87
I think there was a very limited USA edition but I m not entirely sure on that.

I'm fairly confident they had a couple of USA spalted maple Strats at the Memphis GC a few years ago.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jun 5, 2010,
Ok well that's good, I'll probably stick with the pearly gates then, sounds like it is a good all rounder. I'll be sure to post some picks up later when I get it. I guess the amp makes a much bigger difference to the tone anyway and unfortunately I was forced to sell my Mesa Mark IV last year that amp was perfect, could nail that master of puppets sounds no probs.

Been without an amp and guitar for a while now and am on a bit of a budget this time round for my amp, but I was looking at the Line 6 spider valve MK II. Looks pretty good to me, I don't need anything loud and this is a modeling amp so can get lots of different sounds and quite an impressive recreation of the sound from a mesa triple rec.