I am looking for a really violiny type sound of gary moore/santana. Would a sustainer be the right pedal for boosting sustain on a heavily distorted amp, and if so which one would be best for this application whilst still remaining not too expensive?

Thanks in advance
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by nightraven
an overdrive pedal would be more effective (it will also obviously add compression as well as the dirt)
a lot going into the 'violin' sound is the kind of pick attack those players have as well. you really need a strat or a tele, play with the bridge pickup and pick near the bridge

This fo sho. The best way to go about a violin type tone is a Strat with one of the tone controls wired to the bridge pickup as well as an amp with a smooth breakup with a light OD in front. A really light pick attack rounds it out.

Santana has always sounded more like a horn to me and for that you'll need a middy humbucker and a middy amp like a Mesa Mark series or a Dumble and crank that sucker.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
OK I might have described it wrong. I love my dirty sound for gary more type sounds, but I just want to add more sustain to it so that when I do a bend in parisienne walkways for instance the note just keeps going and going for a LONG time and wont stop. Hope that makes sense, but if further clarification is needed then please just ask.
Yeah I know that. Im pretty close on the sound front, but just want the notes to ring out a bit longer. Would the a compressor do the job, would something else be better suited, or should I just give trying to recreate his tone now?!?!!?
I mean that playing through an amp set loud gives you lots of that extra sustain (& feedback). Look at Tony Iommi, he plays SGs with very thin strings and can still hold his notes for pretty long just because of that.
You could try an OD up front an then if needs be look at a compressor? They do
give extra sustain, my fave at the moment is
the Philosopher's Tone.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

IMO, when I think of "violin sustain" I think of Steve Vai playing with the neck pup on his JEM/Universe.

Completely opposite of a strat/tele bridge position.
Quote by Varkunus
Yeah I know that. Im pretty close on the sound front, but just want the notes to ring out a bit longer. Would the a compressor do the job, would something else be better suited, or should I just give trying to recreate his tone now?!?!!?

You're not going to be able to get the amount of sustain in Parisienne Walkways without cranking your amp and using feedback. A compressor would lengthen your sustain but not to those levels.