I am going to be getting my cab soon, so its time to think about which amp head I should choose.

I realized I only really liked the JVM when I was playing a guitar with EMG's through it. While it does sound great, I don't want to have to put active pickups in every guitar I own just to get the tone I like.

My budget is $1500 or less. However, I can go up by $100 or a little more if I really should.

I am also willing to get a boost for the amp if it sounds better with one, but I would rather have an amp with a good natural tone.

I am looking for smooth lead and rhythm tones. Steve Vai's tone is a perfect example of the lead tone I like.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jun 4, 2010,
Definately ummm an orange? or mesa? try replacing your pickups as well. Egnater makes AMAZING amps/heads
If you want a Steve Vai tone you should get a Carvin Legacy.

EDIT: Damn you espplayer400!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jun 4, 2010,
Keep the choices coming, please. The Legacy does sound nice, but I want to multiple kinds of amps before I go all out and buy something.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
I say if you like the JVM, get the JVM. Lots of things you can do external to the amp (EQ/effects/boost/OD) to manipulate the sound if you choose.
Quote by celticstorm84
I say if you like the JVM, get the JVM. Lots of things you can do external to the amp (EQ/effects/boost/OD) to manipulate the sound if you choose.

Maybe an EQ is a good idea.

If I can't find anything else, I will end up just getting active pickups in my SG Special and then getting the JVM, but for now, I still want to hear about some more amps.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
I checked out the V3 demo, I wasn't a huge fan of it.

The Mark IV sounded great in the demo I checked out, but I would like to try one out in person. Also, I can't seem to find many of them near me.

I am open for more suggestions. I want to try out more amps before I resort to getting a JVM and some Seymour Duncan Blackouts for my guitars.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by AcousticMirror
soldano or rivera ktre

+1, particularly the Soldano Hot Rod or Avenger, if you don't mind not having cleans.

I'd also check out the Budda Superdrive, the Peavey 6534+, the Peavey Butcher reissue, and the Randall RM series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I looked at some demos of the 6505 boosted with a tubescreamer. I did like the tone.

I am having a hard time deciding which "path I should take." It is either a 6505 with a tubescreamer, or a JVM with a pickup swap.

I should probably go to Sam Ash to play through the JVM again, and then play a stock 6505.

I still have awhile until I can actually buy an amp, so I have a lot of time to think.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43