Recently, my guitarist bought a Bugera 1960 Head. It's very similar to a Marshall Plexi. Its a hi-gain amp, it has 150W, 4 EL34 and 3 ECC83. I really liked the sound that came out when I tried it with a guitar. But my question is, if I combine this head with, say, a 4x12 bass cab, what should I expect from the sound? I use a Vintage Modified Telecaster bass and I play stoner/psychedelic/doom rock/metal. I like deep, punchy and wide tone. Think Al Cisneros. Thank you.
Ive heard people say great things abt a guitar head/bass cab..
I would assume itll emphasis higher frequencies more you prob just have to try it though
You will lose a lot of the seriously low end, but no damage will result. A lot of people played bass through guitar heads (and sadly, even guitar cabinets until they fried the speakers) back in the late sixties and early seventies. The biggest proponents of the rig you've described were John Entwistle of The Who and Chris Squire of Yes. Entwistle loved lots of treble in his bass so he could cut through the mix better. Squire ran his Rickenbacker in stereo; one pickup to a bass rig and the other to a 100-watt Marshall guitar halfstack.

So yes, you could do it. Just be ready to lose your very low end when you play.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well, I guess it won't be much of a problem losing my low end since I'm kind of a lead bassist. Still, I like when a bass fills all the spaces. Will I lose that characteristic?
Quote by groovy-elephant
Well, I guess it won't be much of a problem losing my low end since I'm kind of a lead bassist. Still, I like when a bass fills all the spaces. Will I lose that characteristic?

No, it would probably be fine for that. Add a distortion box and John Entwistle would be proud of you.
Quote by groovy-elephant
Would a preamp solve my problem with the low end?

Maybe, but you would be better off (and save some cash) by going with a graphic EQ pedal.
I myself use a guitar head,and I go for a stoner/psychadelic kind of sound.
I really wish I had some mroe headroom,50 watts RMS just isn't really enough,but it does have its moments where it sounds REALLY great.Sounds amazing with my fuzz on it.
Edit: I run it through a 4x10 though,so it regains a bit of bassiness there.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I myself use a guitar head,and I go for a stoner/psychadelic kind of sound.
I really wish I had some mroe headroom,50 watts RMS just isn't really enough,but it does have its moments where it sounds REALLY great.Sounds amazing with my fuzz on it.
Edit: I run it through a 4x10 though,so it regains a bit of bassiness there.

Is it very different from a tube bass head? If so, what are the diferences?
Maybe bi-amp?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright